Nielsen Symphonies

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 04, 2018, 08:16:03 AM
It seems like every time I listen to Nielsen I like it, but I think "there must be a better recording out there." Maybe I should listen to Rozhdestvensky, which I have but haven't gotten to.
I have heard a lot of Nielsen. The only two.recordings i truly like is Martinon CSO in number 4 and Lenny in number 3.

I also find Jarvi/Frankfurt quite good.
, amazingly well played.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I find I am connecting with the symphonies, but I get the impression that something was left on the table. I remember listening to Vanska/Lahti and Salonen/Swedish Radio Symphony. I've got so many sets I've not gotten to, Gilbert, Kuchar, Schonwandt, Blomstedt (2). Even Jarvi!

And I confess to liking Karajan's recording of #4. I know that sort of admission can get be banned from the forum.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on October 04, 2018, 08:51:16 AM

And I confess to liking Karajan's recording of #4. I know that sort of admission can get be banned from the forum.
It is an acquired taste, a bit too much of the German powerchord approach. Very Different from others i must say.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I find I am connecting with the symphonies, but I get the impression that something was left on the table.

Nielsen seems to be one of those composers who doesn't respond well to highly polished, literal-minded performances. The symphonies seem to need an element of craziness or eccentricity. I've got the Blomstedt/SF, and it's nice as a "just the notes he wrote" reference, but certain individual performances grab me more:

3: Bernstein (one of his best orchestral recordings)
4: Martinon/CSO (white-hot, even a bit too fast, but very exciting)
5: Horenstein/Philh. (epic-sounding with slow buildup and the craziest snare drum solo ever)
6: Schmidt (haven't listened in a while, but I remember being impressed by his take on this wacky, disturbing piece)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

TheGSMoeller

I find I am connecting with the symphonies, but I get the impression that something was left on the table. I remember listening to Vanska/Lahti and Salonen/Swedish Radio Symphony. I've got so many sets I've not gotten to, Gilbert, Kuchar, Schonwandt, Blomstedt (2). Even Jarvi!

I like the Nielsen symphonies, but in regards to recordings I find that no complete cycle hits 100%, IMO. It took me listening to several sets, and a few stand-alone discs to find the right fit for each symphony.

On a personal note, I'm sure my log from the past year would reveal that about 70% of my Nielsen listening is of his No. 6 "Sinfonia semplice". I've become somewhat obsessed with this kaleidoscopic piece.

Karl Henning

There are far worse pieces to be obsessed with, Greg  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2018, 08:42:07 AM
FWIW . . . the first time I tried the symphonies, I did not connect with them, at all.  10 years or so later, I lapped them up.

The first time I heard a Nielsen symphony (symphony 4 on radio) I was blown away. Nielsen is one of those composers that practically instantly became one of my favorites. To me Nielsen is similar to Elgar in the way the music speaks to me so directly both intellectually and emotionally. To me it's very difficult to understand how someone can't connect with Nielsen's music, but hey, we are different. I don't connect with the music of some composers no matter what (e.g. Verdi, Rossini and Britten).  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2018, 09:19:53 AM
There are far worse pieces to be obsessed with, Greg  0:)

Something by Dittersdorf perhaps?  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 04, 2018, 10:00:10 AM
The first time I heard a Nielsen symphony (symphony 4 on radio) I was blown away. Nielsen is one of those composers that practically instantly became one of my favorites.

My first experience with Nielsen was, playing the Clarinet Concerto for my senior recital; so I was predisposed to like his music.  I have no idea, today, why the first listen to the symphonies left me cold.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2018, 10:02:20 AM
My first experience with Nielsen was, playing the Clarinet Concerto for my senior recital; so I was predisposed to like his music.  I have no idea, today, why the first listen to the symphonies left me cold.

Maybe you expected something more similar to the Clarinet Concerto? Being predisposed can be a demon in music listening. The best way to listen to new music is to have no expectations at all.

amw

for the individual symphonies:

1 - Oramo
2 - Schmidt
3 - Bernstein
4 - Menuhin
5 - Kondrashin
6 - Blomstedt (San Francisco)

SymphonicAddict

Rozhdestvensky on Chandos conducting the 3rd and 5th are my fixed choices (an unpopular opinion maybe  :D). I tend to dislike the rush in these symphonies, I prefer to feel them with more breadth. The others are interchangeable.

71 dB

Quote from: amw on October 04, 2018, 03:17:03 PM
for the individual symphonies:

1 - Oramo
2 - Schmidt
3 - Bernstein
4 - Menuhin
5 - Kondrashin
6 - Blomstedt (San Francisco)

I don't know any of these performances, but I have 1-3 by Blomstedt (San Francisco) which I don't like that much althou the Aladdin Suite on that twofer is mindblowingly good.  :)

Biffo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2018, 10:02:20 AM

Possibly because the symphonies are so different. I am sure you know this now but possibly not then but the Clarinet and Flute Concertos are late works written in the spare style Nielsen called 'music from another planet'. Many years ago I had a colleague who was an amateur clarinettist and he found the Nielsen concerto completely baffling  - 'just scales' he said. I guess you were more adventurous.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 04, 2018, 04:50:45 PM
Rozhdestvensky on Chandos conducting the 3rd and 5th are my fixed choices (an unpopular opinion maybe  :D). I tend to dislike the rush in these symphonies, I prefer to feel them with more breadth. The others are interchangeable.

Not too unpopular, that Roz cycle is very good.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Biffo on October 05, 2018, 03:22:42 AM
Possibly because the symphonies are so different. I am sure you know this now but possibly not then but the Clarinet and Flute Concertos are late works written in the spare style Nielsen called 'music from another planet'. Many years ago I had a colleague who was an amateur clarinettist and he found the Nielsen concerto completely baffling  - 'just scales' he said. I guess you were more adventurous.

A clarinetist who is also a composer had better be more adventurous  ;)

Yes, you're right.  And by now, my fondness for the symphonies is so ingrained . . . I have no way of telling what it was that helped me recalibrate.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Omicron9

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2018, 08:42:07 AM
FWIW . . . the first time I tried the symphonies, I did not connect with them, at all.  10 years or so later, I lapped them up.

I had a similar experience with Sibelius symphonies.  Now I'm all over them.  I connected with Nielsen the first time I heard him tho.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 05, 2018, 04:49:29 AM
I have no way of telling what it was that helped me recalibrate.

Time?

j winter

I've been working my way through Nielsen's symphonies lately, and enjoying them immensely. 

I've had Ole Schmidt/LSO and Blomstedt/SFSO for a long while, and recently picked up Berglund for about the price of a cheeseburger and fries (two discs in and excellent so far, though I may still prefer the Blomstedt overall). 

I think I'm fairly content with these, but does anyone have another favorite set that would compliment or offer something different to these three?  Any great individual performances I should seek out?  I'm still reading through the posts above, so beg pardon if this has already been discussed...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Daverz

Quote from: j winter on September 12, 2019, 05:25:28 PM
I've been working my way through Nielsen's symphonies lately, and enjoying them immensely. 

I've had Ole Schmidt/LSO and Blomstedt/SFSO for a long while, and recently picked up Berglund for about the price of a cheeseburger and fries (two discs in and excellent so far, though I may still prefer the Blomstedt overall). 

I think I'm fairly content with these, but does anyone have another favorite set that would compliment or offer something different to these three?  Any great individual performances I should seek out?  I'm still reading through the posts above, so beg pardon if this has already been discussed...

There are so many good recordings, but above all I wouldn't want to be without the Bernstein recordings of 2-5.