Nielsen Symphonies

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ras

Quote from: j winter on September 12, 2019, 05:25:28 PM
I've been working my way through Nielsen's symphonies lately, and enjoying them immensely. 
I've had Ole Schmidt/LSO and Blomstedt/SFSO for a long while, and recently picked up Berglund

The one you have with Blomstedt and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra is my favorte alongside Paavo Jarvi, Alan Gilbert/NYPO and John Storgårds on Chandos.

Gilbert:

[asin]B00WUFBV56[/asin]

P. Jarvi (not his father Nemee):

[asin]B016Z8K956[/asin]

Storgårds:

[asin]B00WFMVLTU[/asin]

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Ras on September 13, 2019, 03:24:42 AM
The one you have with Blomstedt and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra is my favorte alongside Paavo Jarvi, Alan Gilbert/NYPO and John Storgårds on Chandos.

Gilbert:

[asin]B00WUFBV56[/asin]

P. Jarvi (not his father Nemee):

[asin]B016Z8K956[/asin]

Storgårds:

[asin]B00WFMVLTU[/asin]

Nielsen is one of those "lucky" composers on disc.  I can't think of a bad cycle!  Perhaps its just that the music is so inspiring for players and conductors but every cycle I know has its own qualities;

Leaper-Naxos / Kurchar-Brilliant / Jarvi (father) & Chung -BIS / Bostock-Classico / Bernstein-Sony / Schonwandt-DaCapo / Rohzdestvensky-Chandos / Blomstedt-EMI

as well as those you list.  I still love Schmidt with the LSO - a palpable sense of discovery and excitement in the music making

Biffo

Agree that there are plenty of fine cycles around though I was underwhelmed by Storgards; strongly recommend Kuchar and the Janacek Philharmonic.

Daverz

Quote from: Biffo on September 13, 2019, 07:08:13 AM
Agree that there are plenty of fine cycles around though I was underwhelmed by Storgards; strongly recommend Kuchar and the Janacek Philharmonic.

And I'll put in a good word for Oramo.

[asin]B00NJARNTY[/asin][asin]B00TRPEV4A[/asin][asin]B00GP909HO[/asin]

prémont

Quote from: Daverz on September 13, 2019, 12:49:19 PM
And I'll put in a good word for Oramo.

Thanks. I was about to do the same.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

j winter

Thanks to all for the recommendations!  Nice to see there are so many good options.

I'm actually surprised I don't already have Lenny... alas it doesn't seem easy to find at the moment, other than in the big Bernstein Symphonies box, which is off the table because a) I've got nearly everything else in it, and more importantly, b) it's too big to fit on my shelf :)

Looks like they put out a combined set years ago, Bernstein's 2-5 with Ormandy's 1 & 6.  I'd snap that up if they ever reissue it in one of their cheapie white boxes (like the Berglund above)....
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

SymphonicAddict

A thumbs up for, mostly, the Rozhdestvensky, Thomson and Blomstedt, they make the works sing with great orchestras and refined playing. I'm not that keen with the Oramo/BIS. For some strange reason I don't like neither the sonics nor his tempi. The Salonen is not of my affections either. Some old recordings tend to be the reference point, but I have some reservations, mostly about the rush that some conductors print on some symphonies or in specific moments of them. There is no an equilibrium between lyricism, pyrotechnics and quirkiness, rather an inclination toward any of those regards, especially some towards pyrotechnics, at least IMO.

Daverz

Some important (well there may be some nostalgia involved)  "one offs" should also be mentioned.  Sticking to stereo:

1: Previn
2: Morton Gould
4: Martinon
5: Horenstein

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Daverz on September 13, 2019, 02:33:44 PM
Some important (well there may be some nostalgia involved)  "one offs" should also be mentioned.  Sticking to stereo:

Especially this one (bolded text). The 4th is almost maniac but also imposing, faster than what I could tolerate.

Biffo

Quote from: Daverz on September 13, 2019, 02:33:44 PM

Some fine recommendations though I don't know the Previn, must check it out. The Horenstein No 5 is one of my all time favourite Nielsen discs.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on September 14, 2019, 01:06:27 AM
Some fine recommendations though I don't know the Previn, must check it out. The Horenstein No 5 is one of my all time favourite Nielsen discs.
+1 for Horenstein.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Cycles I see that I own, on my shelves:

Berglund/Royal Danish O.
Blomstedt/San Francisco S.
Thomson/Royal Scots (Chandos)
Rozhdestvensky/Royal Stockholm PhO (Chandos)
Järvi/Chung/Gothenburg (BIS)
Bostock/Liverpudlians
Salonen/Swedish RSO
Kuchar/Janacek PhO
Leaper/NSO Ireland (Naxos)
Schonwandt/Danish NSO (Naxos)

I recall that I was particularly taken by Rozhdestvensky (notwithstanding bad reviews, in those days), Thomson and Kuchar. I didn't play the Schonwandt, originally released at DACAPO, yet. But I confess I went lost in the woods. To which of these cycles should I return immediately?  ???

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on September 14, 2019, 12:18:14 PM
Cycles I see that I own, on my shelves:

Berglund/Royal Danish O.
Blomstedt/San Francisco S.
Thomson/Royal Scots (Chandos)
Rozhdestvensky/Royal Stockholm PhO (Chandos)
Järvi/Chung/Gothenburg (BIS)
Bostock/Liverpudlians
Salonen/Swedish RSO
Kuchar/Janacek PhO
Leaper/NSO Ireland (Naxos)
Schonwandt/Danish NSO (Naxos)

I recall that I was particularly taken by Rozhdestvensky (notwithstanding bad reviews, in those days), Thomson and Kuchar. I didn't play the Schonwandt, originally released at DACAPO, yet. But I confess I went lost in the woods. To which of these cycles should I return immediately?  ???

I'll vote for either the Thomson or Schønwandt. I do have a number of the others, as well and like them all to some degree.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ken B

Daverz

Quote from: Ken B on September 14, 2019, 01:18:54 PM
No, sir. +2 for the Horenstein! Especially 5.

Be careful when looking for used CDs of this.  My copy bronzed, as did several other Unicorn CDs.

The new erato

Good thing I have the LP then. One of my first Nielsen revelations, along wirh Bernsteins Espansiva.

Biffo

Quote from: Daverz on September 14, 2019, 02:40:32 PM
Be careful when looking for used CDs of this.  My copy bronzed, as did several other Unicorn CDs.

I bought it new and it eventually bronzed, as did Horenstein/Mahler 3.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on September 15, 2019, 01:00:25 AM
I bought it new and it eventually bronzed, as did Horenstein/Mahler 3.
That's interesting. I have both of those recordings but haven't played them for a while. I must check the condition. The only bronzing experience I've had is with one of the older Bantock discs on Hyperion. The company immediately replaced it for me.
I like this historic set very much:

I've also greatly enjoyed the Storgards set and Thomson's as well as the underrated Rozhdestvensy. Barbirolli's Symphony 5 is terrific with the most anarchic side-drummer and Ormandy's No.6.

Below are two more Nielsen recordings which I think highly of:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

prémont

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2019, 01:17:48 AM

Below are two more Nielsen recordings which I think highly of:

This reminds me inevitably of a concert I attended ca.1960, Thomas Jensen conducting Nielsen's 6th - same orchestra as on the CD. Being a child I did not "understand" this rather special symphony, but the concert and particularly the following acquaintance with John Frandsen's Espansiva recording opened Carl Nielsen the symphonist for me. Before that I only knew many of his songs and had fought with some of his easier piano pieces.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 15, 2019, 02:25:48 AM
This reminds me inevitably of a concert I attended ca.1960, Thomas Jensen conducting Nielsen's 6th - same orchestra as on the CD. Being a child I did not "understand" this rather special symphony, but the concert and particularly the following acquaintance with John Frandsen's Espansiva recording opened Carl Nielsen the symphonist for me. Before that I only knew many of his songs and had fought with some of his easier piano pieces.
Must have been great to hear Jensen conduct Nielsen.