Nielsen Symphonies

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on September 15, 2019, 01:17:48 AM
That's interesting. I have both of those recordings but haven't played them for a while. I must check the condition. The only bronzing experience I've had is with one of the older Bantock discs on Hyperion. The company immediately replaced it for me.
I like this historic set very much:

I've also greatly enjoyed the Storgards set and Thomson's as well as the underrated Rozhdestvensy. Barbirolli's Symphony 5 is terrific with the most anarchic side-drummer and Ormandy's No.6.

Below are two more Nielsen recordings which I think highly of:

Any discs with "CPO" around the central spindle hole might well bronze.  At one point that pressing company - CPO - replaced all bronzed discs.  But they don't anymore - its down to individual recording companies - such as Hyperion - to take a view.  Of the bronzed discs I have none have yet "failed".  If in doubt I burn a copy and store it in the same CD case.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 15, 2019, 10:44:39 AM
Any discs with "CPO" around the central spindle hole might well bronze.  At one point that pressing company - CPO - replaced all bronzed discs.  But they don't anymore - its down to individual recording companies - such as Hyperion - to take a view.  Of the bronzed discs I have none have yet "failed".  If in doubt I burn a copy and store it in the same CD case.
Thanks RS. Good idea!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 15, 2019, 10:44:39 AM

PDO (Philips and Dupont Optical), not CPO which of course is a classical music label. Bronzing CDs were manufactured between 1988 and 1993 in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Roasted Swan

Quote from: 71 dB on September 15, 2019, 11:58:03 AM
PDO (Philips and Dupont Optical), not CPO which of course is a classical music label. Bronzing CDs were manufactured between 1988 and 1993 in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

Duh!  - stupid me - I knew that perfectly well just didn't engage brain.... thanks for correcting and apologies

71 dB

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 17, 2019, 03:00:40 AM
Duh!  - stupid me - I knew that perfectly well just didn't engage brain.... thanks for correcting and apologies

No problem! Easy mistake to make...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

aukhawk

Quote from: 71 dB on September 15, 2019, 11:58:03 AM
... Bronzing CDs were manufactured between 1988 and 1993 in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire. And though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all.

Daverz

Quote from: aukhawk on September 17, 2019, 02:25:40 PM
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire. And though the holes were rather small, they had to count them all.

A John Lennon prophecy of pinholes in CDs!

Jo498

Bronzing does not necessarily involve holes and there are pinhole discs that are not bronzed.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

TTT after several years!  :laugh:

Yesterday in another thread, several posters recommended the recordings of Alan Gilbert w/ the New Yorkers for these works - at the moment I have just one long-time set, i.e. Herbert Blomstedt w/ the San Francisco Symphony - I've been happy w/ this set and did not feel the need for another one but some more recent recordings have been released, e.g. Gilbert and Salonen shown below - any thoughts on these two or others of recent vintage that might be considered - thanks.  Dave :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 07:06:38 AM
TTT after several years!  :laugh:

Yesterday in another thread, several posters recommended the recordings of Alan Gilbert w/ the New Yorkers for these works - at the moment I have just one long-time set, i.e. Herbert Blomstedt w/ the San Francisco Symphony - I've been happy w/ this set and did not feel the need for another one but some more recent recordings have been released, e.g. Gilbert and Salonen shown below - any thoughts on these two or others of recent vintage that might be considered - thanks.  Dave :)

Dave,

I can't speak for the other recordings you mentioned, but I can definitely vouch for the Gilbert/NYPO set. It is outstanding in every aspect (top notch performances and incredible sound). You also get the three concertos, which are a nice little bonus.

SonicMan46

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 29, 2021, 10:11:11 AM
Dave,

I can't speak for the other recordings you mentioned, but I can definitely vouch for the Gilbert/NYPO set. It is outstanding in every aspect (top notch performances and incredible sound). You also get the three concertos, which are a nice little bonus.

Hi Ray - thanks for your comments - this morning I listened to Gilbert & Salonen on Spotify (just No. 4) and enjoyed Gilbert more; plus, BRO has the 3 Symphony CDs of Gilbert for just $7 each (already have the concertos w/ others), about half the price of the 4-disc box on Amazon USA; JPC has the singles and the box on sale for not much more (of course, except for shipping) - might just go w/ BRO?  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 11:09:16 AM
Hi Ray - thanks for your comments - this morning I listened to Gilbert & Salonen on Spotify (just No. 4) and enjoyed Gilbert more; plus, BRO has the 3 Symphony CDs of Gilbert for just $7 each (already have the concertos w/ others), about half the price of the 4-disc box on Amazon USA; JPC has the singles and the box on sale for not much more (of course, except for shipping) - might just go w/ BRO?  Dave :)

I approve of that course of action.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Bernstein, Oramo, Gilbert and, of course, Blomstedt are always strong contenders in the Nielsen symphony sweepstakes.

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 29, 2021, 11:23:16 AM
I approve of that course of action.

Hi Karl - put in the BRO order an hour ago (added a few items to cut shipping to a buck/disc) - I've had the Blomstedt recordings for ages (and will keep), so will be nice to have an option - Dave  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 12:46:14 PM
Hi Karl - put in the BRO order an hour ago (added a few items to cut shipping to a buck/disc) - I've had the Blomstedt recordings for ages (and will keep), so will be nice to have an option - Dave  ;D

Agreed that Blomstedt is a keeper, Dave!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

Quote from: OrchestralNut on November 29, 2021, 10:11:11 AM
Dave,

+ 1.

I've rarely heard orchestral performances that seem so right and recorded sound so natural as those. They satisfy me as no other does in Nielsen.

bhodges

Quote from: André on November 29, 2021, 01:49:15 PM
+ 1.

I've rarely heard orchestral performances that seem so right and recorded sound so natural as those. They satisfy me as no other does in Nielsen.

And yet another big thumbs-up for the Gilbert/NYPO set, one of the great achievements of his time in New York. I also like Sir Colin Davis from 2018, with the London Symphony Orchestra on LSO Live.

Blomstedt was the first complete set I heard, and it still holds up beautifully, but nice to have so many options.

--Bruce

classicalgeek

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 12:46:14 PM

I too can wholeheartedly recommend the Gilbert/New York Phil cycle. I acquired them from BRO as you did; they're top-notch in all the symphonies, with No. 4 (the Inextinguishable) my new all-time favorite performance of that work.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

premont

I always found Blomstedt's SFSO recording perfect but very cold (to some lesser extent true of Salonen too), and prefer the warmer Danish Blomstedt set on EMI.

Other than this I have a tendency to Oramo and Bernstein as well as Schønwandt. The old Espansiva with John Frandsen was my first encounter with this symphony and I still appreciate it highly.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

SonicMan46

Thanks Guys for all of the positive comments - believe that I'll be happy w/ both sets of recordings and glad that BRO restocked the Gilbert ones when I was looking - not always a coincidence -  ;)  :laugh: Dave