Nielsen Symphonies

Started by Tsaraslondon, April 13, 2008, 05:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 29, 2021, 03:44:49 PM
Thanks Guys for all of the positive comments - believe that I'll be happy w/ both sets of recordings and glad that BRO restocked the Gilbert ones when I was looking - not always a coincidence -  ;)  :laugh: Dave

Before you leave, I figured I'd offer you this opinion (cross-posted from the "Listening" thread):

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2021, 06:23:50 PM
Now playing the 5th and Clarinet Concerto from these recordings -

Bernstein was in his element in Nielsen just as much as he was Sibelius. The story about Bernstein showing up in Copenhagen and conducting the Royal Danish Orchestra on their home turf and playing their national musical hero at the time must have been thrilling. For my money, Lenny outclasses everyone in these two symphonies, especially the Danish conductors. Sorry, but not sorry for saying this! :)

P. S. I'm sure this post will get a table-pounding from Cesar. ;)

classicalgeek

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2021, 08:52:41 PM
Before you leave, I figured I'd offer you this opinion (cross-posted from the "Listening" thread):

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2021, 06:23:50 PM
Now playing the 5th and Clarinet Concerto from these recordings -

Bernstein was in his element in Nielsen just as much as he was Sibelius. The story about Bernstein showing up in Copenhagen and conducting the Royal Danish Orchestra on their home turf and playing their national musical hero at the time must have been thrilling. For my money, Lenny outclasses everyone in these two symphonies, especially the Danish conductors. Sorry, but not sorry for saying this! :)

P. S. I'm sure this post will get a table-pounding from Cesar. ;)

I've heard the Bernstein Nielsen 5th and I agree it's outstanding! I can't say I've heard his 3rd, but I'd like to. Apparently Bernstein also recorded Nielsen 2 and 4 - I have a feeling those are excellent too. I'm thinking you've heard them? If so, what did you think?
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on November 29, 2021, 09:17:34 PM
I've heard the Bernstein Nielsen 5th and I agree it's outstanding! I can't say I've heard his 3rd, but I'd like to. Apparently Bernstein also recorded Nielsen 2 and 4 - I have a feeling those are excellent too. I'm thinking you've heard them? If so, what did you think?

I liked the 2nd and 4th from Bernstein, but in the 2nd Blomstedt's SFSO account on Decca is my personal reference and in the 4th, I cannot think of a better performance than Martinon on RCA. But Lenny's got my vote for the 3rd and 5th. For the 6th, always a fun, quirky work, my vote goes to Oramo on BIS.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 29, 2021, 09:25:13 PM
I liked the 2nd and 4th from Bernstein, but in the 2nd Blomstedt's SFSO account on Decca is my personal reference and in the 4th, I cannot think of a better performance than Martinon on RCA. But Lenny's got my vote for the 3rd and 5th. For the 6th, always a fun, quirky work, my vote goes to Oramo on BIS.

Hi John - well, I listened to Bernstein's rendition of the Nielsen 3rd/5th, and enjoyed; also read some excellent reviews, so I'll add the disc below to my Nielsen Symphony collection - just ordered a used CD on Amazon.  Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 30, 2021, 07:26:27 AM
Hi John - well, I listened to Bernstein's rendition of the Nielsen 3rd/5th, and enjoyed; also read some excellent reviews, so I'll add the disc below to my Nielsen Symphony collection - just ordered a used CD on Amazon.  Dave :)

Ah, the Prince Charles watercolour covers (quite a decent artist)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

8) I somehow knew you would, Dave. ;) Very nice, indeed.

Roasted Swan

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 30, 2021, 07:47:52 AM
Ah, the Prince Charles watercolour covers (quite a decent artist)
I was surprised too at my end Karl!  Wish that I could paint.

I do also appreciate his comments and efforts to promote organic gardening.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Jo498

3+5 and the concertos might be the best of Bernstein's Nielsen but I think the disc with 2+4 is also highly recommendable.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Well, my 'used CD' of Lenny doing Nielsen's Symphonies 3 & 5 arrived yesterday and have done several listenings, and GLAD to add to my other symphony recordings; Gilbert has yet to arrive from BRO.  The Bernstein CD is from the Royal Edition w/ Prince Charles' watercolors on the front cover art - just curious if his princely highness is making any money from his hobby (as if he needs it!) - well, inserted above from 5 years ago (Source); at that time, he had earned over $7 million dollars from not originals but prints (not sure the print technique, the number in the 'limited editions', and doubt that he signs each one) - at least the money is going to his charitable foundation? 

But getting back to the music - reviews attached for those who may be interested in this disc; No. 5 is stated to be the best version ever put on vinyl way back then; also note that these recordings are from 1962 & 1965, so the sound is not the best, but quite good!  Dave :)