Bruckner's 9th Symphony

Started by alkan, April 14, 2008, 02:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alkan

Well, after launching the earlier thread on the 8th, I listened again the 1st mvmt to my trusty Karajan BPO (1966) recording of the 9th symphony.     I've always found the end of the 1st movement to be one of most cataclysmic (and frightening) experiences in all music.      Its amazing how Bruckner instills an atmosphere of awe and dread as the scene unfolds.     I always get the feeling of watching powerless as the end of the world rolls inexorably towards me.       The masterstroke at the end is the two screaming dissonances on the trumpet(s?) that cut through the tumult like a hot knife through butter.      This is played magnificently on my Karajan disc and never fails to make my spine tingle.

So, bearing in the mind the above, does anyone have any recommendations for a newer recording (better sound) to complement Karajan ??

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

david johnson

the ending of the movement on that disc is marvelous, isn't it?
try giulini/chicago on emi.  you'll hear more details.

dj

Renfield

That recording is probably my favourite. But perhaps you might be interested in Giulini, if you want more "modern" sound:

It's probably ideal as a supplement like what you describe, next to that Karajan. And of course Karajan's later recording, but it needs (read: screams for) remastering, which it just might get in August, so stay tuned! ;)

Edit: david johnson posted right before me. The Giulini/CSO I haven't heard - but the Vienna recording is quite famous, and rightly so.

Moldyoldie

I'll second, third, and fourth the Giulini/Vienna recording.  ;)

However, I also have a special fondness for Dohnanyi/Cleveland in the Ninth, which certainly makes the most of what some refer to as the ethereal Zen-like qualities of the third and final movement.

Concerning the Ninth, I have to add that if one is familiar with the Bruckner sound world over his entire oeuvre, it does sound unfinished.  Some feel that it's appropriate, however, considering it was Bruckner's final symphonic utterance.
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

O Delvig

I'll fifth Giulini! Another favorite of mine is Skrowaczewski, and Furtwangler's is a classic (though 1944 sound quality).

Renfield

Quote from: O Delvig on April 14, 2008, 05:18:10 AM
I'll fifth Giulini! Another favorite of mine is Skrowaczewski, and Furtwangler's is a classic (though 1944 sound quality).

If we're going historical, it's Furtwängler and Walter first and foremost; VPO and Columbia Symphony Orchestra, respectively.

And of modern 9ths, Harnoncourt is also quite interesting in the piece, and of course the VPO also play a part - no pun intended. Barenboim with the BPO as well, perhaps, but more of a half-baked "Wilhelm von Karajan", more often than not. :P

(Though his, Barenboim's, is a good performance when viewed on its own. But overall, it's more of a supplement.)

alkan

Looks like I need Giulini !!!!      He has a lot of supporters !!     
The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.
Harlan Ellison (1934 - )

Drasko

Mehta recording is about same age as Karajan but very nice recording quality for that era. Kubelik is live but impressively recorded by Bavarian Radio technicians.

FredT

Tintner on Naxos is very, very good. His is a unique, personal journey through all of the Bruckner symphonies.  Also, Jochum and the Dresden orchestra on EMI which feature spectacular virtuosity from this heralded ensemble.

Que

Quote from: Drasko on April 14, 2008, 06:21:11 AM

My favourite as well.
I must confess that I never tried the Giulini. I suspect he is everything the Kubelik is not, namely deliberate and arthritically slow. Because that's what Giulini sounds like in most cases. But I guess I'm just prejudiced?  :) If he's not, I'll give him a try!

Another favourite is the 1944 Furtwängler.

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on April 14, 2008, 06:27:40 AM
My favourite as well.
I must confess that I never tried the Giulini. I suspect he is everything the Kubelik is not, namely deliberate and arthritically slow. But I guess I'm just prejudiced?  :)

Q

The Giulini is indeed slow! But bless him the whole thing didn't fall apart at all.  Just make sure you don't listen to it back to back with some fast and blazing recording of Bruckner and you'd be fine and feeling impressed.  :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

not edward

I wouldn't want to be without Giulini, Furtwängler '44, Kubelik or Mehta, but it'd be Zubin I'd take with me if the house were burning and I only had time to grab one disc. For me, he brings out the strange, disturbing, radical aspects of the score more inpactfully than anyone else.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Holden

3rd place - Furtwangler 44
2nd place - Giulini
Top Choice - Walter
Cheers

Holden

dirkronk

Quote from: Que
Another favourite is the 1944 Furtwängler, which doesn't sound bad at all in the right transfer.

Actually, I have an old DGG tulip-label LP and the sonics are surprisingly clear and solid even in that form.

Dirk

Daverz

Schuricht's 9 with the VPO is my favorite.  I'm also fond of Bruno Walter.

Look at this:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2675732

Schuricht's Bruckner 8 & 9 in what looks like a GROC design on EMI Korea.  I wonder if this will show up as a GROC in the West.  You can get the 9th separately:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2575238

Getting off topic, but looka this:

That's not a CD, it's an Lp of Schuricht's Bruckner 3rd being released by Testament (kinda pricey).

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

eyeresist

Mravinsky's live 9th was the first version I heard, so this very raw, intense version remains a favourite. It's available under several labels.

I'd also like to recommend the overlooked Wakasugi ( 若杉弘 ) 9th (Arte Nova). It has a very refined, Old World feel, and terrific sound, very warm and rich.

BTW, Karajan's cycle has been issued on SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) in Japan. I don't know if improved sound is genuine or placebo: http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2667312

vandermolen

Furtwangler's is the best (1944 Berlin....real sense of impending doom)

Wand's is the best more modern one that I know (RCA)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Quote from: vandermolen on April 14, 2008, 11:01:06 PM
Wand's is the best more modern one that I know (RCA)

Which one? Because there are four, as I understood from this review.
And... just how slow is Wand?

EDIT: I was fooled long after the 1st of april.. ;D

Q

eyeresist

^ Um, was that an April Fool's review?