Philip Glass’s opera "Satyagraha"

Started by Bogey, April 20, 2008, 06:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnQpublic

Quote from: Catison on April 21, 2008, 04:52:20 AM
I have given up trying to describe to people how to listen to Glass's music.  Unfortunately, it is one of those things you either get right away or you don't. 

Yep. I always tell students that either they will immediately accept or reject Glass.

BachQ

Quote from: Sean on April 21, 2008, 12:52:42 AM
Not to single you out here, but this is a total misunderstanding of what the music's about.

But, in fact, you did single him out .........

bhodges

I am seeing Satyagraha tomorrow night--very much looking forward to it--and doing a full review.  Will post the link here. 

Although I listened to a good chunk of it on Saturday afternoon, I wasn't quite persuaded by the score alone.  Also, the production has text embedded in the sets (no subtitling), and seeing some of this text no doubt makes it a more satisfying experience.  But I'm keeping an open mind... ;)

Just found this thoughtful post on Ionarts by Charles T. Downey who was at the Saturday performance.

--Bruce

Wendell_E

Quote from: bhodges on April 21, 2008, 08:33:56 AM
Although I listened to a good chunk of it on Saturday afternoon, I wasn't quite persuaded by the score alone.  Also, the production has text embedded in the sets (no subtitling), and seeing some of this text no doubt makes it a more satisfying experience.  But I'm keeping an open mind... ;)

The Met website has the text (English only) as a two-page .pdf file at http://www.metoperafamily.org/metupload/Satyagraha_libretto.pdf.  Worth reading beforehand, if you haven't already, though this is one case where I don't think knowing exactly what's being sung isn't that important.  I mean, Glass wrote in to be performed in Sanskrit before subtitles even existed, so I imagine he wanted the audience to be devoting their attention to the music and the staging.  Too bad this isn't an HD theatrecast.  I'd love to see it.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

bhodges

Yes, that's very good, and I've tried to do a little more homework, too.  And I agree, it's probably not as important to have the text down moment-by-moment.  Whatever the outcome, I'm very impressed that the Met has done this piece, and apparently with a production that is true to Glass's intent, e.g., exactly what you said: so the audience focuses on other things.  It's obviously a completely different kind of experience than what is usually presented at the Met, and I have to say, "good for them!"

--Bruce

johnQpublic

Is there a doctor in the house?....Satyagraha's damnable E Phrygian flute scale is stuck in my head

Catison

Quote from: johnQpublic on April 21, 2008, 09:00:51 AM
Is there a doctor in the house?....Satyagraha's damnable E Phrygian flute scale is stuck in my head

Doctor?  I'd consider you lucky.

BTW, do you know this is called the Trilogy theme, because is found in all three of Glass's "Portrait Operas"?
-Brett

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: bhodges on April 21, 2008, 08:57:43 AM
I'm very impressed that the Met has done this piece, and apparently with a production that is true to Glass's intent, e.g., exactly what you said: so the audience focuses on other things. 

E.g., where are we going for dinner, how long before I can get up and pee, that person [choose sex of preference] sitting in the row in front of me sure looks cute, I'd better make sure to pay Amex on time, will the Dow go up again Monday, I could use a haircut, etc. Other things.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

bhodges

Quote from: Sforzando on April 21, 2008, 09:59:18 AM
E.g., where are we going for dinner, how long before I can get up and pee, that person [choose sex of preference] sitting in the row in front of me sure looks cute, I'd better make sure to pay Amex on time, will the Dow go up again Monday, I could use a haircut, etc. Other things.

;D  ;D  ;D

--Bruce

Wendell_E

Quote from: Sforzando on April 21, 2008, 09:59:18 AM
that person [choose sex of preference] sitting in the row in front of me sure looks cute

I did notice that April 28th performance will be one those "Connect at the Met" nights.   :D
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Bogey

Post when you can Bruce and thanks to others for the feedback here, whether agreed upon or not.  All great comments and the wit has been most enjoyed at this end.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

(poco) Sforzando

Though Justin Davidson is not my ideal music critic (he doesn't "get" Elliott Carter either), this review is pretty close to what I felt:

http://nymag.com/arts/classicaldance/classical/reviews/46188/
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

toledobass

Quote from: Bogey on April 22, 2008, 07:23:34 PM
Post when you can Bruce and thanks to others for the feedback here, whether agreed upon or not.  All great comments and the wit has been most enjoyed at this end.

yeah yeah.....so about that Seven Steps box..... :P

kidding....last one, I promise ;) ;D

Allan

bhodges

Davidson's review is pretty fair, and close to my feelings, too.  This sentence made me grin:

"Glass forms such great expanses of minimal topography that each scenic stroke is exciting in the way that spotting a gas station in Nebraska is exciting."

I confess that I did enjoy it, and was never bored.  The production is spectacular, with some gorgeous scenic designs that are almost trancelike in themselves, and the music combined with the sets and staging makes a beautiful, hypnotic whole.  But that said, I really don't have the desire to hear the music again, and certainly wouldn't sit through it multiple times like I did with Jenůfa, Eugene Onegin, Salome or Peter Grimes, or any number of other operas.

--Bruce

toledobass

bhodges

I mean, to each his own, but I like more angularity; this music is too consonant for my ears.  (The same reason I don't like much medieval chant, for example.)  Might be good as soundtrack for meditation, or for observing a gorgeous rock formation in Morocco, but to sit in the hall and listen to it a lot...erm, no.

--Bruce

uffeviking

Maybe it's the production, the froufrou, distracting you from experiencing Satyagraha the way I did years ago in Seattle. There it was the original production, very sparse sets, concentrating on the action. The beating down of the protesters by the police was mimed to perfection. Unfortunately I don't know of any video of the first performance in Stuttgart and the one in Amsterdam - could be the wrong town, but it was in the Netherlands. -

How was the singing by Croft? And the soprano of Miss Schlesen especially in the press room scene?

bhodges

Lis, I put up a brief blog post here.  The action here was fine, and the production is stupendous.  I enjoyed the evening, and am still thinking about it.  I just don't want to hear the score again (which of course is a reaction worth paying attention to). 

Croft was superb, and Rachelle Durkin (Schlesen) was also excellent, singing well in a sometimes very high tessitura.  All of the cast, and the chorus, too, did an outstanding job. 

--Bruce

Bogey

Quote from: toledobass on April 22, 2008, 07:54:26 PM
yeah yeah.....so about that Seven Steps box..... :P

kidding....last one, I promise ;) ;D

Allan

LOL....a lot.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz