Herrmann's Humdinging House of (Hardly Haphazard) Harmonic Hoots

Started by Lethevich, June 03, 2009, 08:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

FDR the great wartime American President said (of Churchill) 'I like Winston but not as much as he likes me' - I'm sure that this still explains the 'Special Relationship' between our two countries.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2023, 06:45:53 AMI'm a great fan of Burgess Meredith (a great actor). Coincidentally I've been listening to him narrating John Williams's (fine) score for 'The Reivers'. I guess that many people, myself included, associate him with The Penguin from 'Batman' and his endearing contribution to the original (and incomparably better) 'Clash of the Titans'.

Good reminder about the original 'Clash of the Titans'.  I'll always remember Burgess Meredith for his performances as the crusty and cranky boxing trainer in the 'Rocky' series (first three).

vandermolen

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 25, 2023, 06:53:05 AMGood reminder about the original 'Clash of the Titans'.  I'll always remember Burgess Meredith for his performances as the crusty and cranky boxing trainer in the 'Rocky' series (first three).
He had a very distinguished acting career. I don't know the Rocky films but am sure that he was great.
I love the original 'Jason and the Argonauts' and 'Clash of the Titans' movies which were so much better that the later digital special effects versions which were instantly forgettable.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2023, 06:55:53 AMHe had a very distinguished acting career. I don't know the Rocky films but am sure that he was great.

He's a scene stealer!

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2023, 06:45:53 AMI'm a great fan of Burgess Meredith (a great actor). Coincidentally I've been listening to him narrating John Williams's (fine) score for 'The Reivers'. I guess that many people, myself included, associate him with The Penguin from 'Batman' and his endearing contribution to the original (and incomparably better) 'Clash of the Titans'.
Apart from Batman, I mostly enjoy Burgess Meredith in four episodes of The Twilight Zone, especially "Time Enough at Last" and "The Obsolete Man," though I'm also perhaps fonder than the consensus of "Printer's Devil."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 25, 2023, 05:51:09 AMSaving Private Ryan is a great film.  I am still scratching my head that it lost the Oscar best picture to Shakespeare in Love?  :P

Shakespeare in Love caused a great deal of head scratching for a great number of people!!! 

Spoiler alert - on one of those wonderful film-nerd forums recently I read an earnest discussion about the fact that the motorbike against which Tom Hanks herocially dies at the end of the film was a version that was not made until after the War - shock/horror and howls of disgust from all true petrol-head/bikers.  FWIW - I like Hymn to the Fallen a lot!

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on May 25, 2023, 08:42:28 AMShakespeare in Love caused a great deal of head scratching for a great number of people!!! 

Spoiler alert - on one of those wonderful film-nerd forums recently I read an earnest discussion about the fact that the motorbike against which Tom Hanks herocially dies at the end of the film was a version that was not made until after the War - shock/horror and howls of disgust from all true petrol-head/bikers.  FWIW - I like Hymn to the Fallen a lot!
Like the helicopter in 'Where Eagles Dare' which wasn't manufactured until after the war.

relm1

Wrong.  He is always best known for his post apocalyptic role in TZ.

I'm teasing.  He's a complete cameleon.  I first came across him as Rocky's beloved asshole coach and hated him but loved him immediately too.  Geesh what a cinematic cameleon.  FYI - Rocky 1 is a fantastic film.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on May 25, 2023, 04:38:04 PMWrong.  He is always best known for his post apocalyptic role in TZ.

I'm teasing.  He's a complete cameleon.  I first came across him as Rocky's beloved asshole coach and hated him but loved him immediately too.  Geesh what a cinematic cameleon.  FYI - Rocky 1 is a fantastic film.

Thanks - I will look out for it.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on June 24, 2022, 06:13:38 AMFixed it for you!

Excellent performance, but one expects excellence from the Concertgebouw Orchestra!  0:)

Superb! Oh, and I got here a year late.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on May 25, 2023, 06:53:05 AMGood reminder about the original 'Clash of the Titans'.  I'll always remember Burgess Meredith for his performances as the crusty and cranky boxing trainer in the 'Rocky' series (first three).

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 25, 2023, 07:37:28 AMApart from Batman, I mostly enjoy Burgess Meredith in four episodes of The Twilight Zone, especially "Time Enough at Last" and "The Obsolete Man," though I'm also perhaps fonder than the consensus of
"Printer's Devil."

Concerning Burgess Meredith:

With Lon Chaney, Jr he was in the movie version of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men:

Spoiler alert: Final Scene...

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on May 24, 2023, 05:33:32 AMYES to the Sinfonietta!  "Too atonal" is a marvelously narrow-minded phrase!  ;D

The Symphony is also an excellent work, but the Sinfonietta burns down the barn, maybe because it is too atonal!  8)

Love it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

atardecer

Herrmann conducting in 1971 and discussing composers Carl Ruggles and Charles Ives:

"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa