Wrong text in CD booklet

Started by squeemu, May 03, 2007, 12:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeemu

Today I bought a cd of Weber's clarinet concertos with Sabine Meyer on EMI classics. When I opened it up, the text in the booklet was talking about Barbirolli conducting Mahler's 9th. It's not too big of a deal, because the most important part is the CD, but it's still kind of annoying that some companies could make a mistake like this and I feel like I bought a cheap product. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: squeemu on May 03, 2007, 12:12:00 PM
Today I bought a cd of Weber's clarinet concertos with Sabine Meyer on EMI classics. When I opened it up, the text in the booklet was talking about Barbirolli conducting Mahler's 9th. It's not too big of a deal, because the most important part is the CD, but it's still kind of annoying that some companies could make a mistake like this and I feel like I bought a cheap product. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

EMI's quality control is THE worst. For a big time record company it is a joke to make the kind of mistakes they make. My version of the Furtwangler Tristan (the one with the lovers on the cover, not the new GROC edition) has EVERY SINGLE TRACK LISTING AND TIMING WRONG ! Also once I bought a Bertini/Mahler set and the CD for sym#7, even though it says Sym#7 on it, contains the same music as the first disc of sym#3.

You are a victim of their carelessness. Sorry.

MishaK

I once bought a Sony Vivaldi set that inexplicably contained one CD of Mussorgsky.

71 dB

Elgar - Piano Music - Peter Pettinger - Chandos CHAN 8438

track numbering errors.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Well I had recently some boxes in which the booklets were missing, or tracking errors, and even musical movements cut short by a few bars, bad editing that is. :P

Gurn Blanston

Back when it was possible to do, I used to buy mail order directly from Naxos USA in Tennessee. I once purchased their disk of Faure Violin Sonatas. When it arrived, the box, liner notes and the disk itself all were appropriately marked "Faure Violin Sonatas". But when I put it on to play, the lovely sound of Mendelssohn's 1st symphony came out of the speakers! I wasn't familiar at that time with the work, but I knew that whatever I was hearing sure as heck wasn't a violin sonata  :o 

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

johnQpublic

Gurn's Golden Ears can't be fooled.  :P

oyasumi

I have a Bach disc and the guy doesn't play the repeats

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: johnQpublic on May 03, 2007, 02:59:59 PM
Gurn's Golden Ears can't be fooled.  :P

Actually, they can, and easily... :)

(But I can tell a symphony from a violin sonata, no matter the screen printing on the disk!)  ;D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: oyasumi on May 03, 2007, 03:03:59 PM

Unforgivable, totally unforgivable. I suppose he wasn't even playing it on a harpsichord either. >:(

8)

Steve

I too, have been a victim of EMI's carelessness. Just last month, a purchased a recording of Carmen on their classics label, only to find that one of the discs was labled incorrectly.

Remember, its all about the music.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 04:07:34 PM
I too, have been a victim of EMI's carelessness. Just last month, a purchased a recording of Carmen on their classics label, only to find that one of the discs was labled incorrectly.

But was it at least the right disk?  :)

8)

Don

Quote from: oyasumi on May 03, 2007, 03:03:59 PM

None of them?  There is a line of thought that repeats are better left omitted, but I miss them when the performances are excellent.  When they stink, lack of repeats is a good idea.

Don

Quote from: squeemu on May 03, 2007, 12:12:00 PM
Today I bought a cd of Weber's clarinet concertos with Sabine Meyer on EMI classics. When I opened it up, the text in the booklet was talking about Barbirolli conducting Mahler's 9th. It's not too big of a deal, because the most important part is the CD, but it's still kind of annoying that some companies could make a mistake like this and I feel like I bought a cheap product.

Could you think of it as a varied product?  Seriously, I feel for you.  Once, I got a Cd, opened the jewel case, and found nothing in it.  My heart just sank, then anger took over.

Bunny

Quote from: Don on May 03, 2007, 09:15:44 PM
Could you think of it as a varied product?  Seriously, I feel for you.  Once, I got a Cd, opened the jewel case, and found nothing in it.  My heart just sank, then anger took over.

EMI isn't the only one.  I found 2 damaged cds in a case for one cd from Delos.  Imagine getting 2 cds and neither played! 

Don

The only other odd disc I can think of was one I bought at a store that had absolutely nothing printed on the face.  I figured that no music would be on it, but to my surprise, the music was as right as could be.

Steve

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2007, 04:09:13 PM
But was it at least the right disk?  :)

8)

Thankfully, it was.  :)

Of course, instead of two Carmen-labled Cds, I have Disc 2 of La Traviata....
That can get confusing, as I own that recording also.  ;D

Harry

And although Brilliant is a big player on the market, and I have so many cd 's from them, only in the beginning there was a faulty disc, that would not play. After phoning them, they promptly send me a new one.
In the case of another big player Naxos, never it happen. The discs were always good, non of the above problems occured.

Harry

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 04:07:34 PM

I was not aware of the fact that this problem is a typical EMI problem.
Never had faulty disc one from them, but then I would never buy Carmen. ;D

stingo

Naxos' Pines and Fountains of Rome CD used to have the track listings in the wrong order. I'd imagine it's since been corrected.