Wrong text in CD booklet

Started by squeemu, May 03, 2007, 12:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oyasumi

Actually I think he didn't play the repeats so that all of the pieces would fit on one disc.

Don

Quote from: oyasumi on May 04, 2007, 07:12:20 AM
Actually I think he didn't play the repeats so that all of the pieces would fit on one disc.

That might be, but it's a way of deciding about repeats that's entirely insensitive to the music.

Bunny

Quote from: oyasumi on May 03, 2007, 03:03:59 PM
I have a Bach disc and the guy doesn't play the repeats

Quote from: oyasumi on May 04, 2007, 07:12:20 AM

That used to be very common.  Scott Ross's Erato Goldbergs are generally finer than his EMI Goldbergs, but they hardly take up one disc (there's also Scarlatti on it) because he cut so many of the repeats in order to fit it into a live radio broadcast.  It was also common for the expositional repeat in Mahler's 6th to be cut out so that the symphony would fit on two sides of one LP.  That was sad because that's the only repeat Mahler ever wrote into a symphony, so he really must have wanted that repeat in there. 

Brian

I've gotten a lot of Naxos discs with odd errors on the CD itself (misspelling performers and so on) and in the booklet. Once a biography of the artist was weirdly cut short halfway through in favor of a large blank space. One of my all-time favorite Naxos CDs (maybe my #1) is Suk's Serenade for Strings, but the "total time" printed on the front is different from the "total time" printed on the back.  ;D

Tchaikovsky/Muti box from Brilliant has wildly fictional track times for Tchaikovsky's String Serenade (first movement says 14 minutes, for instance!).

RebLem

This kind of crap happens all the time.

I have one volume of the Decca Julius Katchen retrospective that has about 1/3 of the printed material its supposed to have.

Back in the LP era, I bought an EMI LP that was supposed to be music of Poulenc, if I remember correctly.  The jacket and liner notes said so, and the label on the LP said so.  But the music in the grooves was the Bruckner 6th Symphony!  Probably Klemperer's.

I have the entire hanssler CBE collection.  One of the sets of harpsichord music is consistent throughout--the back cover gives info on the harpsichord music, the booklet is about the harpsichord music, and the music on the CD is of the harpsichord music.  But the label on one of the two CDs says its the St Matthew Passion!

I must say this sort of thing happens less often in the CD era than it did in the LP era, but it is still enormously irritating.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

shive1

I ordered Jochum's DG Bruckner cycle and the box contained two discs with the 9th symphony, and the 6th was missing.

m_gigena

Quote from: O Mensch on May 03, 2007, 01:08:43 PM
I once bought a Sony Vivaldi set that inexplicably contained one CD of Mussorgsky.

I bought one with Mozart clarinet quintet and concerto which contained 1930's cantine jazz. I took it back to the store, the shop assistant played the cd, and asked me if I was sure what we were listening to wasn't a Mozart concerto. I said "No... it's a rusty female voice... with a jazz band behind".

Brian

Quote from: Manuel on May 05, 2007, 09:48:17 AM
I bought one with Mozart clarinet quintet and concerto which contained 1930's cantine jazz. I took it back to the store, the shop assistant played the cd, and asked me if I was sure what we were listening to wasn't a Mozart concerto. I said "No... it's a rusty female voice... with a jazz band behind".
;D  just had to be sure!

Just opened a Naxos Villa Lobos CD and discovered a guitarist named Norbel Kraft, by the way ...

marvinbrown

Quote from: squeemu on May 03, 2007, 12:12:00 PM
Today I bought a cd of Weber's clarinet concertos with Sabine Meyer on EMI classics. When I opened it up, the text in the booklet was talking about Barbirolli conducting Mahler's 9th. It's not too big of a deal, because the most important part is the CD, but it's still kind of annoying that some companies could make a mistake like this and I feel like I bought a cheap product. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident Squeemu. Mistakes of this sort seem to happen all the time and its quite annoying when there is an error in the LIBRETTO of an opera.  I have a Decca recording of R. Strauss' Salome with Solti, Nilsson and the VPO (yes its the one with the hideous picture of Nilsson as Salome on the cover but I digress).  The libretto covering Track 6 is missing and there are 2 copies of the libretto of Track 7 .  On first hearing I knew something was wrong when all of a sudden the plot ceased to make sense.  Took it back to HMV and discovered that all the recordings had this error, I had to download Oscar Wilde's play (the opera is based on that play) just to make sense of the plot..........and this was supposed to be a new remastered version of the original recording.  This is it by the way