Weirdos...

Started by 71 dB, May 03, 2007, 12:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Some of you think I am weird but I am very normal compared to this guy. He is active in a Finnish hometheatre forum. I keep his identity secret.

- He has a 30" monitor of 4 million pixels for PC and TV programs. He watches it 15 hours a day. He watches the screen from the distance of 1-3 feet using special eye-classes. The rest 9 hours he sleeps, eats etc.

- He leaves his apartment rarely. he has put foil in his windows. He can't see out from his apartment. He uses internet cameras to see what kind of weather is outside.

- He does not work. He is retired for health reasons. He most probably worked in a TV station as an technician as he knows just about everything about TV technology. He is capable of recognising all kind of errors in picture quality. If even one pixel in the picture is wrong he gets almost an heart failure.

- He has only one furniture, bed. He sits on it while watching his 30" monitor. His apartment is totally full of all kind of stuff, disassembled motorbikes, concrete sacks, old TV sets, wood, etc.

- He records TV programs with his PCs all the time and watches the recordings in fast forward style. When one harddrive is full he buys a new one and puts the full harddrive in a closet. He has many Terabytes of TV programs in his harddrives. Between about 1980-2000 he used several VHS-recorders and claims to have recorded 200.000 tv-programs using 1000 VHS tapes over and over again. that's about 30 programs per day!

- He has irregular bedtimes and he needs to wake up about every 15 minutes in order to start or end a recording. He does not program his PC to do this for him because he does not trust his gear.

- He has severe media addiction. He has to record almost all available programs on free channels. This takes all his time and he hopes for the termination of all TV broadcasting so he could have a rest.

- He claims that the minimum weight for a subwoofer unit is 300 kg (670 lbs). Otherwise the unit vibrates too much according to his words.

- He is planning to build a small sound insulated cabin of concrete with supreme sound system for sound pressure levels up to 150 dBs (!) without bothering the neighbours. Hearing protector is a must inside the cabinet, of course but the bass frequencies would be sensed well with body.

- He listens to the same song again and again in loop for many days before changing to a new song. He also claims to be authistic.

- When he charges the battery of his cellphone he writes down the date and how many times the battery has been charged.

- He can't enjoy nature outdoors. He said he'd need to use a video camera filming outdoors and watch the recording home on his 30" screen in order to enjoy the view.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Michel

Very, very funny - but extremely disturbing.

knight66

He is not weird, he is mentally ill.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Harry

He is certainly fit for some kind of treatment. :P

dtwilbanks

I don't think you're a weirdo, 71dB.  ;D

71 dB

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 01:57:02 PM

Thanks dtwilbanks!  ;D

Harry

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 01:57:02 PM

No, he is most certainly not weird, but young and learning. :)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 02:08:30 PM

Learning how to be weird? I didn't know they had schools for that.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 02:08:30 PM

Young? Is 36 young? I feel old!

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 02:11:06 PM
Young? Is 36 young? I feel old!

O dear, Elgar my friend, count yourself lucky you are still 36. Out of my perspective you are still a puppy.
And that is well meant. :)

Harry

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 02:10:29 PM
Learning how to be weird? I didn't know they had schools for that.

You don't have to learn that, you are born like that.
I talked about a different learning, far from the madding crowd.

Steve

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 12:55:39 PM
Some of you think I am weird but I am very normal compared to this guy. He is active in a Finnish hometheatre forum. I keep his identity secret.

- He has a 30" monitor of 4 million pixels for PC and TV programs. He watches it 15 hours a day. He watches the screen from the distance of 1-3 feet using special eye-classes. The rest 9 hours he sleeps, eats etc.

- He leaves his apartment rarely. he has put foil in his windows. He can't see out from his apartment. He uses internet cameras to see what kind of weather is outside.

- He does not work. He is retired for health reasons. He most probably worked in a TV station as an technician as he knows just about everything about TV technology. He is capable of recognising all kind of errors in picture quality. If even one pixel in the picture is wrong he gets almost an heart failure.

- He has only one furniture, bed. He sits on it while watching his 30" monitor. His apartment is totally full of all kind of stuff, disassembled motorbikes, concrete sacks, old TV sets, wood, etc.

- He records TV programs with his PCs all the time and watches the recordings in fast forward style. When one harddrive is full he buys a new one and puts the full harddrive in a closet. He has many Terabytes of TV programs in his harddrives. Between about 1980-2000 he used several VHS-recorders and claims to have recorded 200.000 tv-programs using 1000 VHS tapes over and over again. that's about 30 programs per day!

- He has irregular bedtimes and he needs to wake up about every 15 minutes in order to start or end a recording. He does not program his PC to do this for him because he does not trust his gear.

- He has severe media addiction. He has to record almost all available programs on free channels. This takes all his time and he hopes for the termination of all TV broadcasting so he could have a rest.

- He claims that the minimum weight for a subwoofer unit is 300 kg (670 lbs). Otherwise the unit vibrates too much according to his words.

- He is planning to build a small sound insulated cabin of concrete with supreme sound system for sound pressure levels up to 150 dBs (!) without bothering the neighbours. Hearing protector is a must inside the cabinet, of course but the bass frequencies would be sensed well with body.

- He listens to the same song again and again in loop for many days before changing to a new song. He also claims to be authistic.

- When he charges the battery of his cellphone he writes down the date and how many times the battery has been charged.

- He can't enjoy nature outdoors. He said he'd need to use a video camera filming outdoors and watch the recording home on his 30" screen in order to enjoy the view.

Just a note, there is an important difference between the eccentric and wierd, and the those whose mental health is such that they should be referred to professional counseling. I dont think you're diisturbed or particularily wierd 71db, just a bit eccentric. But I'm sure that applies to most people.

71 dB

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 02:31:43 PM
I dont think you're diisturbed or particularily wierd 71db, just a bit eccentric. But I'm sure that applies to most people.

Well, that's exactly how I want to be seen. Being normal is boring and being weird is too much. Being eccentric is nicely in between.  ;)

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 02:19:30 PM
O dear, Elgar my friend, count yourself lucky you are still 36. Out of my perspective you are still a puppy.
And that is well meant. :)

Still a puppy? Oh dear!  :o

dtwilbanks

How Harry sees us.

71 dB

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 03, 2007, 02:40:43 PM
How Harry sees us.

Depressing...

...and this is how we see Harry (or do not see as he is under that CD pile).  ;D

Harry

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on May 03, 2007, 03:23:27 PM
Depressing...

...and this is how we see Harry (or do not see as he is under that CD pile).  ;D

No, no, 71Db, I've got them neatly into boxes and on shelfs, so I am not hidden there, and its not my pile! ;D

knight66

'Eccentric' is a long used euphemism by the British upper class to describe outright raving madness amongst their kind. It covered behaviour that would get the lower orders locked up, pronto.

Mike

Harry

Quote from: knight on May 03, 2007, 11:44:50 PM
'Eccentric' is a long used euphemism by the British upper class to describe outright raving madness amongst their kind. It covered behaviour that would get the lower orders locked up, pronto.

Mike

As they did with Oscar Wilde.

knight66

Quote from: Harry on May 04, 2007, 12:16:54 AM
As they did with Oscar Wilde.

No indeed, he was not regarded as 'top drawer'. He was lionised by an element of the upper class as a successful Artist until the scandal...then reviled during his downfall. He was very middle class with aspirations.

Had he truly been upper class, he first of all would probably have been able to indulge his tastes and be protected and secondly would not have been so unwise as to flaunt them.

The upper and lower classes tended to behave as they wished, it was the expanding middle class who would be spat on from above if they made themselves objectionable and who would be socially excluded by the narrow minded anxious middle classes.

Mike