Andras Schiff Appreciation Thread

Started by BorisG, April 25, 2008, 08:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BorisG

Over the decades on labels such as Hungaroton, Denon, Decca, Teldec, ECM, Andras Schiff has provided great pleasure. This thread is in tribute of that service.

This is some of the Andras Schiff repertoire, from which I enjoy many recordings. Two are pictured below.
Contribution to this Schiff celebration are most welcome.

Bach WTC 1 & 2
Bach Goldbergs
Bach Concerti
Scarlatti Sonatas
Haydn Sonatas
Mozart Sonatas
Mozart Concerti
Schubert Trout Quintet
Schubert Sonatas
Janacek Chamber Music
Bartok Piano Works
Bartok Concerti

Biography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A1s_Schiff

head-case

I'm a fan of his Bach, particularly the WTC and suites.  I also love his recordings of the Barkok concerti, as well as the Mozart concerti.

Timmyb

His wtc has been my benchmark ever since it was released.I have recently been listening to his fascinating lectures on the Beethoven sonatas.Amazing attention to detail.

MN Dave

I was listening to a Mozart concerto on the radio and I didn't know the pianist but I didn't like him.

Guess who it was.  ;D

But what do I know?  :-\

B_cereus

Hm... his Mozart concerto cycle was well received by critics.

Schiff said that, in his view, "Bach, Mozart and Chopin are the composers with the best taste". (Whatever that means.)

MN Dave

Quote from: B_cereus on April 29, 2008, 12:38:35 PMSchiff said that, in his view, "Bach, Mozart and Chopin are the composers with the best taste". (Whatever that means.)

Less filling.

head-case

Sad to see so little enthusiasm for Schiff here.  Seems like the histrionic bangers get all of the attention, at the expense of those think music should be played with clarity and taste.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: head-case on April 30, 2008, 12:32:06 PM
Sad to see so little enthusiasm for Schiff here.  Seems like the histrionic bangers get all of the attention, at the expense of those think music should be played with clarity and taste.

I agree. I love Schiff. His Beethoven piano sonatas (the cycle is incomplete) comes as the proverbial breath of fresh air after some of the heavy-handed mauling these works sometimes receive. Like you said his playing is always crystalline, rhythmically tight and contrapuntally clear with little histrionics.

MN Dave

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 30, 2008, 12:44:31 PM
I agree. I love Schiff. His Beethoven piano sonatas (the cycle is incomplete) comes as the proverbial breath of fresh air after some of the heavy-handed mauling these works sometimes receive. Like you said his playing is always crystalline, rhythmically tight and contrapuntally clear with little histrionics.

Hummm. Maybe I should give him a shot.

jwinter

Yes, I think he's definitely worth a try.  I have his Mozart sonatas & piano concerti, Bach, and Janacek, and have thoroughly enjoyed them -- I'd agree with PW's characterization of his sound above. 

I haven't tried his Beethoven (other than a PC 3 & 4 with Haitink/SD, which is excellent), although I'll probably pick up his sonatas if/when they're finished and collected in a box.

BTW, he did a very interesting series of lectures on Beethoven's sonatas that's on the Guardian UK's website.  Lots of neat info there, worth a listen if you're a Beethoven nut (like me  ;D).
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

O Delvig

The only thing I've heard of Schiff are his lectures on Beethoven's sonatas, and I appreciate them very much! I don't have a link, but I'm sure they'd turn up on google.

Edit: Oops, there's the link!  :)

XB-70 Valkyrie

I've grown increasingly ambivalent about Schiff over the years. Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through, but currently I'm finding the two Richters (Sviatoslav AND Karl), Weissenberg, to mention but a few, to be much more engaging. My piano teacher thinks he's just about the best there is today, but I frequently have trouble hearing much behind the flawless, polished surface. I was especially disappointed in a recent acquisition of a Hungaraton LP of him playing Scarlatti. Still, I think his performances of the Bach Inventions and Goldberg Variations are very, very good.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Wanderer

Any insights on his ongoing cycle of Beethoven sonatas? I believe volume 6 has been released recently; how many are there to follow?

head-case

Quote from: Wanderer on May 02, 2008, 02:03:23 AM
Any insights on his ongoing cycle of Beethoven sonatas? I believe volume 6 has been released recently; how many are there to follow?

It seems to have covered everything up to sonata 22 or so.  The irritating thing is that the cycle is apparently long finished, but ECM is releasing it in piecemeal for marketing reasons.  For my part, I would consider purchasing a complete boxed set, if it is ever available.  Until then, I'll content myself with what I have.

Tyson

Histrionic bangers, seems to define what Richter is to me.  Give me Schiff, Pollini, Goode, anyday.
At a loss for words.

Don

Quote from: Tyson on May 08, 2008, 09:03:39 AM
Histrionic bangers, seems to define what Richter is to me.  Give me Schiff, Pollini, Goode, anyday.

The opposite from this end.  I think Richter is many leagues ahead of Schiff and Goode, especially Goode.

Tyson

It's interesting, my wife had a theory a while back about music and people's preferences - some were "head" based, others were "heart" based, and others were "gut" based in their response.  I'm certainly a "head music" person, so I think that's why I like the approach of Pollini and others like him.  It just seems 'right' to me.  While others are absolute in their disdain for him being cold and too intellectual, those are probably heart or gut people.  It's a useful conceptual tool when thinking about the various interpretations and why we might feel so differently about the same piece performed by different artists.
At a loss for words.

M forever

I heard Schiff play Bartók's 2nd concerto just a few weeks ago with the BSO accompanied by Haitink, and while I found his playing very competent and cultivated, I can't say I was very impressed or musically convinced by him. Part of that may have been the orchestra's and Haitink's pretty reluctant and timid accompaniment, so the overall package was good on a rather high professional level, but nothing that I found in any way "outstanding".

BorisG

Quote from: Don on May 08, 2008, 09:09:34 AM
The opposite from this end.  I think Richter is many leagues ahead of Schiff and Goode, especially Goode.

But thankfully, I can cherry-pick recordings from all. ;)