Mahler Symphony #4: Klaus Tennstedt

Started by Steve, May 03, 2007, 02:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I know what you're thinking- another Mahler Thread!  :)

Right now, I'm looking to add another recording of Mahler's 4th to my collection, and I thought I might gather your thoughts on a rendition with Tennstedt and the LPO.

Shrunk

I can't answer your question, but you might want to know that this performance is available coupled with the 8th: 

Holden

EMIs other classic recording of the 4th is Klemperer/Schwarzkopf/Philharmonia. It's my favourite!
Cheers

Holden

Steve

I wonder, Shrunk, if these two are the same performances...

BorisG

Quote from: BorisG on May 03, 2007, 03:53:04 PM
Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 02:27:45 PM
I know what you're thinking- another Mahler Thread!  :)

Right now, I'm looking to add another recording of Mahler's 4th to my collection, and I thought I might gather your thoughts on a rendition with Tennstedt and the LPO.

An average performance. Conservatively speaking, I would place ten Mahler 4s ahead of it.

Steve

Quote from: BorisG on May 03, 2007, 04:48:10 PM
An average performance. Conservatively speaking, I would place ten Mahler 4s ahead of it.

I'm sampling the first movement right now, and I'm not very impressed. It really is so difficult to succeed magnificently with this symphony... one needs a real epiphany. There just isn't enough heart in this recording- The mystery of the flutes over the dancing strings in the opening, it just comes across dry. Well, thankfully, I only borrowed this one.

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 04:52:28 PM
I'm sampling the first movement right now, and I'm not very impressed. It really is so difficult to succeed magnificently with this symphony... one needs a real epiphany. There just isn't enough heart in this recording- The mystery of the flutes over the dancing strings in the opening, it just comes across dry. Well, thankfully, I only borrowed this one.

check out other 4ths, naxosmusiclibrary.com has several

Steve

Harry

I have the complete set under the baton of Tennstedt, and my opinion is that again and again, he blows me of my chair. The 6th is totally impressive. The sheer energy and thrust that Tennstedt puts into Mahler is always committed and highly concentrated.
The set as a whole I rank number one in my collection.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Steve on May 03, 2007, 02:27:45 PM

The least favorite of the Fourths I own. I haven't listened to it in years and can't provide detailed reasons but a first movement time of 15:40 pretty much says it all. He really rushes the final movement too...which breaks my heart because I adore Lucia Popp and wish he'd given her a little more space.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 10:57:29 PM
I have the complete set under the baton of Tennstedt, and my opinion is that again and again, he blows me of my chair. The 6th is totally impressive. The sheer energy and thrust that Tennstedt puts into Mahler is always committed and highly concentrated.

I have several Tennstedt performances (3, 4, 8 ). I dislike 4 but 3 and 8 are both very interesting. Tennstedt, like Maazel and Sinopoli, brings something highly individual and personal to Mahler. Someday I'm going to add all three sets to my collection.

Sarge

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 04, 2007, 06:31:20 AM
The least favorite of the Fourths I own. I haven't listened to it in years and can't provide detailed reasons but a first movement time of 15:40 pretty much says it all. He really rushes the final movement too...which breaks my heart because I adore Lucia Popp and wish he'd given her a little more space.

Sarge

You think 15:40 in the 1st movement of #4 is rushed? Try his 21 minute finale to #3, a sprint if there ever was one.

stingo

Quote from: Harry on May 03, 2007, 10:57:29 PM

I have that same box Harry, but sadly have only had time to listen to the 8th (which I love). Actually it was what I heard on the 8th that got me to buy the box.

BorisG

Quote from: stingo on May 04, 2007, 09:17:01 AM
I have that same box Harry, but sadly have only had time to listen to the 8th (which I love). Actually it was what I heard on the 8th that got me to buy the box.

Maybe the Bertini box makes more sense now.

Steve

I may have to invest in the Tennstedt Boxed Set, then  :-\

Marc

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 04, 2007, 06:31:20 AM

Yes, she almost totally disappears into the orchestra!
Lucky for us Lucia Popp admirers (she's definitely my favourite lyric soprano) she's also involved in Bertini's Fourth. I like Bertini's Mahler! That box is a bargain, and I'm very happy I own it.
In #4 I would recommend Kubelik, Haitink (with KCO/Ameling), Bertini and .... Inbal, mainly because of Helen Donath.

Steve

I've just placed an order for the Tennstedt 6th. Having heard a sample of it a minute ago, I was definately impressed. If I enjoy this, I will probably just opt for the complete set. I am trusting the opinion of Harry on this one.  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Steve on May 04, 2007, 07:50:46 PM
I've just placed an order for the Tennstedt 6th. Having heard a sample of it a minute ago, I was definately impressed. If I enjoy this, I will probably just opt for the complete set. I am trusting the opinion of Harry on this one.  ;D

I've got it in the basket at JPC (great price) but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maazel's box, with the Vienna! resides there also (even cheaper). Together, both are cheaper than Sinopoli (which I want also). I don't expect many, if any of these conductor's performances to make it to my desert island but they each have something very individual to say about Mahler's music.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Marc on May 04, 2007, 02:38:03 PM
Yes, she almost totally disappears into the orchestra!
Lucky for us Lucia Popp admirers (she's definitely my favourite lyric soprano) she's also involved in Bertini's Fourth. I like Bertini's Mahler! That box is a bargain, and I'm very happy I own it.

I like much of it too.

In #4 I would recommend Kubelik, Haitink (with KCO/Ameling), Bertini and .... Inbal, mainly because of Helen Donath.

I own three out of your four (I have 13 Fourths). Bertini is very appealing but Haitink and Kubelik rush the last movement. I prefer it much slower. Maazel/Battle is my ideal (Battle my ideal voice in this music too). Chailly/Bonney is the runner-up.

Sarge

stingo

Quote from: BorisG on May 04, 2007, 11:56:29 AM
Maybe the Bertini box makes more sense now.

Not sure - not heard anything from him. But based on what I HAVE heard, I expect I'll be getting the Kubelik box and maybe the Bertini and/or the MTT. But not til I've had a chance to listen to what I have already.