Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Mango on April 30, 2008, 07:23:29 AM
Schubert's String Quintet is widely recognised to be far superior to Beethoven's  Op 29 effort. 

Recognised by whom..? The music I hear contradicts that notion. The Schubert piece is just another patchwork quilt like most of the others.
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

Don

As for the so-called "demonstrations", the only things that happen on your board are that people fall asleep regularly.  It's been virtually dormant for weeks.  Yes, you tried to whip up an anti-Schubert campaign, but like most things on your site it fell flat on its face. 

That would explain how Rod has the time and interest to put forth his odd opinions on this board.

Que

I would welcome some extra members here.. 8) The more the merrier. ;D

Maybe we should reverse the add campaign - do Rod's forum members know we are here?  0:)

Q

ChamberNut

Rod is suffering hallucinations all over again.  Schubert is the recognised leader in lieder (no pun intented), and Beethoven's efforts pale into insignificance.  Schubert's String Quintet is widely recognised to be far superior to Beethoven's  Op 29 effort.  I'd take Schubert's chamber, orchestral and sacred music in preference to Beethoven's any day.  So come off it, Rod, admit you're talking your usual load of cobblers, probably as a ploy to stimulate a few uniformed innocents to register on your board.

As for the so-called "demonstrations", the only things that happen on your board are that people fall asleep regularly.  It's been virtually dormant for weeks.  Yes, you tried to whip up an anti-Schubert campaign, but like most things on your site it fell flat on its face.  Nobody wanted to play ball, and who can blame them when it's obvious that your game is merely to make bold and assertive comments about the alleged weaknesses of all composers other than Beethoven and Handel.   

You also sponsors one of looniest anti-Mozart cranks on the Internet, and there's no-one on your site apart from yourself (or any site that I'm aware of) who takes him seriously.  I would have thought you might have your lesson by now that most people find your attitude, and the kind of activity you sponsor against other composers, both seriously ill-informed and insulting. 

Mango, welcome!!   :)  I remember you from TC, and again I thank you for having introduced me to Schubert's great String Quintet in C!  :)

Rod Corkin

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 30, 2008, 08:00:17 AM
Mango, welcome!!   :)  I remember you from TC, and again I thank you for having introduced me to Schubert's great String Quintet in C!  :)

I remember Mango too from TC, in all my years on the web I've met nobody like it (I'm yet to be convinced of the gender). Can't say any more here in public...

MN Dave

Rod Corkin

As for the so-called "demonstrations", the only things that happen on your board are that people fall asleep regularly.  It's been virtually dormant for weeks.  Yes, you tried to whip up an anti-Schubert campaign, but like most things on your site it fell flat on its face.  Nobody wanted to play ball, and who can blame them when it's obvious that your game is merely to make bold and assertive comments about the alleged weaknesses of all composers other than Beethoven and Handel.   

What are you talking about? Dormant?? I didn't know you were a member Mango, and non-members only have access to one of ten forums there. But if anything goes dormant it means all that needs to be said has been said, or do you expect this topic for example to go on forever??

Rod Corkin

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Don on April 30, 2008, 07:47:24 AM
That would explain how Rod has the time and interest to put forth his odd opinions on this board.

Don I advise you in advance, whatever you think of me, please ignore anything written by Mango on any subject.

I only pick on topics here where I read something that sparks my attention, usually something I don't agree with. The fact that is it not at my forum is irrelevant, I'll argue with anyone anywhere if I think something unjust is being written.

Mango

Quote from: Rod Corkin on April 30, 2008, 07:42:20 AM
Recognised by whom..? The music I hear contradicts that notion. The Schubert piece is just another patchwork quilt like most of the others.

Recognised by the market.  Will that do?  I'm referring to the fact that there are far more recordings of Schubert's String Quintet than Beethoven's effort, which indicates a general preference for the former.  Schubert's piece is often talked about on informed radio programmes like BBC's Radio 3.  It  was recently subject to "Building a Library" treatment, and incidentally the Hagen Quartet version came out best, in case you'd like to buy it.  Beethoven's piece is not talked about in anything like the same terms.

Your problem is that you are self-brainwashed with Beethoven and Handel, exclusively.  How you can survive on a diet of only these two composers' works completely baffles me.  It has obviously given you musical constipation, with occasional bouts of verbal diarrhoea. 

As regards your reply to Don, you are now clearly panicking, advising other members to ignore my comments when it's obvious that they already know about you. 

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Que on April 30, 2008, 07:52:52 AM
I would welcome some extra members here.. 8) The more the merrier. ;D

Maybe we should reverse the add campaign - do Rod's forum members know we are here?  0:)

Q

Well the members of my forum that are also members of this forum will be aware of this forum. As for the others, I have no idea. I look forward to you actually posting your ad there Que, instead of just snooping about. But it must have the official sanction of GMG if it is a proper ad and not just a signature. And if so CMM rules state that a proper ad for CMM must be allowed here! You can put GMG in your signature if you like without issue, but you'll have to actually post something, quite a few things in fact, for any one to see it!

Mango

Quote from: Rod Corkin on April 30, 2008, 08:22:07 AM
Talk Classical

Crazy Forum

It's No 1 in the league table and has been for a long while.  Just Google "Classical music forum".  They all loved you there, didn't they Rod?

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Mango on April 30, 2008, 08:34:21 AM

As regards your reply to Don, you are now clearly panicking, advising other members to ignore my comments when it's obvious that they already know about you. 

Not really, just offering advice that will save people trouble later. No worries if they chose to ignore it, I'm not here enough for you to become an serious issue for me personally.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: Mango on April 30, 2008, 08:43:12 AM
It's No 1 in the league table and has been for a long while.  Just Google "Classical music forum".  They all loved you there, didn't they Rod?

I recall a few people quit TC because of your behaviour Mango.

Anyway I've had my fill of this topic, said all that needs to be said, so i will leave it to go dormant.

Adios

Que

Quote from: Rod Corkin on April 30, 2008, 08:41:00 AM
I look forward to you actually posting your ad there Que, instead of just snooping about.

I have no intention of doing so - neither to post, nor to snoop as you call it.
In fact, I logged in recently to see if I could end my membership of your precious forum - but no such possibility. But you can consider this as a request to make it happen, oh dearest Rod...

Q

(poco) Sforzando

Rod is suffering hallucinations all over again.  Schubert is the recognised leader in lieder (no pun intented), and Beethoven's efforts pale into insignificance.  Schubert's String Quintet is widely recognised to be far superior to Beethoven's  Op 29 effort.  I'd take Schubert's chamber, orchestral and sacred music in preference to Beethoven's any day.  So come off it, Rod, admit you're talking your usual load of cobblers, probably as a ploy to stimulate a few uniformed innocents to register on your board.

You also sponsors one of looniest anti-Mozart cranks on the Internet, and there's no-one on your site apart from yourself (or any site that I'm aware of) who takes him seriously.  I would have thought you might have your lesson by now that most people find your attitude, and the kind of activity you sponsor against other composers, both seriously ill-informed and insulting. 

Nice to see that Rod's legions of devoted admirers follow him wherever he goes. 
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Mango

Quote from: Rod Corkin on April 30, 2008, 08:45:04 AM
I recall a few people quit TC because of your behaviour Mango.

Anyway I've had my fill of this topic, said all that needs to be said, so i will leave it to go dormant.

Adios

That's a laugh.  I left voluntarily.  You and Robert Newman left is less fortunate circumstances.  All I did was to tackle you two in the only way possible, i.e. with heavy doses of sarcasm.  Thanks for giving me the credit for being the "worst" case you've come across in 10 years.  I didn't know you cared. 

Mango

Quote from: Sforzando on April 30, 2008, 08:55:45 AM
Nice to see that Rod's legions of devoted admirers follow him wherever he goes. 

Not quite.  These events at T-C took place almost a year ago.  Up to that time, T-C was one of the most liberal classical music boards; afterwards it became one of the most heavily regulated, and still is, which is why it now only attracts mainly a bunch of kids.  I've not bothered with Rod and Newman since that time, but I spotted his stupid comments here about Schubert and I decided to join the discussion. Unfortunately, Rod decided to leave suddenly.

MN Dave

Hey, Rod left but the topic hasn't "gone dormant" yet. What gives?  ;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mango on April 30, 2008, 09:06:20 AM
Not quite.  These events at T-C took place almost a year ago.  Up to that time, T-C was one of the most liberal classical music boards; afterwards it became one of the most heavily regulated, and still is, which is why it now only attracts mainly a bunch of kids.  I've not bothered with Rod and Newman since that time, but I spotted his stupid comments here about Schubert and I decided to join the discussion. Unfortunately, Rod decided to leave suddenly.

Perhaps you mistook my irony. I did not mean to imply that you personally were unduly concerned with Rod, but rather to express my astonished awe that a person of his erudition and perspicacity inspires admiration and affection where'er he walks.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."