Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Quote from: Jo498 on January 25, 2020, 09:06:22 AM
There was an early HIP effort in the 1970s by Demus and members of the Collegium aureum with chamber music by Schubert etc. Only the "Trout" and the Notturno appeared on CD, I believe, but they are both extraordinarily good. Nowadays probably only in harmonia mundi's German Romanticism box. This seems still available and while I have not heard the Freischütz, of the rest I consider the Ameling and Pregardien discs as essential as the Trout just mentioned and the sonatas with Demus and Winterreise with Schopper also pretty good. In any case for $20 or less, it is well worth the price, even if one wants only two or three discs of 10.

[asin]B00KGLRLUU[/asin]

Damn, Jo, you tempt me. This looks excellent, and for that price! But I must try my best to exercise restraint; I already have most of this music. Are these all original instruments recordings? I definitely don't have much as far as period performances of the early Romantic.

vers la flamme

I am looking to get a good full Schwanengesang... I'm down to these three:

[asin]B00076YNFK[/asin]

[asin]B00000E30D[/asin]

[asin]B00000E445[/asin]

Any opinions? Based on what I've heard, I am very torn, they all sound great. Perhaps I'm forgetting a few other essentials...?

Mandryka

I think the Schreier is exceptional. I like the Goerne very much,  and the Beethoven songs are nice enough.  fiDi is not for me.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

JBS

Goerne/Brendel is good, but I think Goerne/Eschenbach is a touch better..
[asin]B006OW80XW[/asin]

Goerne's entire Schubert series on Harmonia Mundi is, I think worth getting.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Jo498

The German romanticism box is all on old instruments with the exception of the Brahms' lieder with Ameling. Documentation is fairly minimal, so you'd have to get texts and translations elsewhere. That's the only drawback, I'd say.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

I haven't really looked into other recordings of this music that much after getting Trio Dali's excellent set, although I should spend more time with the period instrument recordings by La Gaia Scienza et al.
[asin]B004V4GXT8[/asin]

Trio no. 2 is also on their Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/v/0elEVa3Qxfg
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

I woke up this morning absolutelty convinced that Busch had recorded the Notturno with Serkin. But no, I was wrong, I was confusing it with the Fantasia D934, which in fact I prefer to the Notturno. Anyway, litening to this took me back to the days when my musical life was a lot simpler. More naive.

https://www.youtube.com/v/dsqC-Wr6XhE

vers la flamme

I pulled the trigger on the Schiff/Schreier. I do not have any Schreier in my library so it will be nice to change that, especially in light of his recent passing. RIP.

I'm listening to the Chilingirian Quartet recording of the G major quartet now. What a challenging work, I'm afraid I can't make much sense of it. I'll have to return to it with score in hand.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 26, 2020, 05:18:18 AM
I pulled the trigger on the Schiff/Schreier. I do not have any Schreier in my library so it will be nice to change that, especially in light of his recent passing. RIP.

I'm listening to the Chilingirian Quartet recording of the G major quartet now. What a challenging work, I'm afraid I can't make much sense of it. I'll have to return to it with score in hand.

Very hard to get that quartet off the page, like D840. Without the first movement repeats it loses what makes it special for me, and with the repeats it sounds boringly repetitive. Maybe try Tetzlaff. Melos too.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on January 26, 2020, 06:32:08 AM

Very hard to get that quartet off the page, like D840. Without the first movement repeats it loses what makes it special for me, and with the repeats it sounds boringly repetitive. Maybe try Tetzlaff. Melos too.

I'll check it out. The two recordings I have, Chilingirian and Italiano, are over 10 minutes difference in length; I'm guessing the Chilingirians do not observe the repeat. Anyway I couldn't make it past the first movement. The other massive chamber work, the String Quintet, lasts almost an hour but the time flies. I would even say the same of Marta Deyanova's D894, the one you didn't like. But I cannot say the same about the G major quartet, or not yet anyway. Some of Schubert's late music is quite challenging.

Mandryka

And there's this

https://www.youtube.com/v/hoVbax1ZtF0
Schubert in these pieces was just not at all about taking you on a journey forward to a goal. It's about the experience in the moment, as it were. It's extremely prescient, it bucks the romantic tendency, and wasn't taken up again until the second half of the C20. 

Jo498

For the great G major you could try either a fastish version (usually w/o repeat) like Busch, Budapest, Juilliard (all somewhat old) or the slowest I have heard, namely Kremer and friends on CBS/Sony (with a 23 min first mvmt). The first approach makes the piece more "classical" with the first movement not as dominating, the second one makes it more Mahlerian (or maybe Feldmanesque).

[asin]B0000026EM[/asin]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on January 26, 2020, 08:08:20 AM
For the great G major you could try either a fastish version (usually w/o repeat) like Busch, Budapest, Juilliard (all somewhat old) or the slowest I have heard, namely Kremer and friends on CBS/Sony (with a 23 min first mvmt). The first approach makes the piece more "classical" with the first movement not as dominating, the second one makes it more Mahlerian (or maybe Feldmanesque).

[asin]B0000026EM[/asin]

Or Brucknerian maybe

amw

My references for D887 are the Artemis Qt, Hagen Qt, Juilliard Qt (1960 Epic). Tetzlaff Qt might also be a good introduction; it plays up the drama a bit more.

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on January 26, 2020, 08:22:45 AM
Or Brucknerian maybe

I'd rather have a Mahlerian Schubert than a Brucknerian one. A Schubertian Schubert is the best, though.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Marc

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 25, 2020, 03:59:21 PM
Damn, Jo, you tempt me. This looks excellent, and for that price! But I must try my best to exercise restraint; I already have most of this music. Are these all original instruments recordings? I definitely don't have much as far as period performances of the early Romantic.

Yep, all period instruments recordings.
(It's a bit more complicated to say something about the singers though. ;) But one thing is sure: they are all very fine!)

vers la flamme

Happy birthday to the great master. 223 years...

What Schubert are we listening to today? So far, for me, the Wanderer Fantasy, the "Great" C major symphony, about half of Winterreise, and now the 4 Impromptus, D935, courtesy of Alfred Brendel...:

The more I listen to this CD, the more convinced I am of Brendel's Schubert. I still don't like that he skips repeats in the last three sonatas, but I may have to return to them with an open mind.

Ratliff

Quote from: Jo498 on January 25, 2020, 09:06:22 AM
There was an early HIP effort in the 1970s by Demus and members of the Collegium aureum with chamber music by Schubert etc. Only the "Trout" and the Notturno appeared on CD, I believe, but they are both extraordinarily good. Nowadays probably only in harmonia mundi's German Romanticism box. This seems still available and while I have not heard the Freischütz, of the rest I consider the Ameling and Pregardien discs as essential as the Trout just mentioned and the sonatas with Demus and Winterreise with Schopper also pretty good. In any case for $20 or less, it is well worth the price, even if one wants only two or three discs of 10.

[asin]B00KGLRLUU[/asin]

I had some very nice recordings by the Collegium Aureum on LP back in the day (the ProArte label). Mozart #41, Beethoven Eroica, I always wondered what became of them.

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 31, 2020, 03:40:33 AM
Happy birthday to the great master. 223 years...

What Schubert are we listening to today?

Did a very quick comparison of various Winterreise just for the most appealing vocal qualities.  I settled on Jonas Kaufmann and Christa Ludwig.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Daverz on January 31, 2020, 12:31:20 PM
Did a very quick comparison of various Winterreise just for the most appealing vocal qualities.  I settled on Jonas Kaufmann and Christa Ludwig.

Ludwig! I did not know she sung the Winterreise. Good you think?

I listened to about half of the DFD/Jörg Demus Winerreise yesterday. Very good