Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Did Andreas Staier ever do a box set of Schubert piano sonatas?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Jo498

Not that I know of. It's not likely because his Schubert recordings are on at least two different labels. The last 3 sonatas  and the a minor D 845 and a four-hand-disc (with Lubimov) are on Teldec/warner, the more recent D 894, another four hand anthology (with Melnikov) as well as trios are on harmonia mundi. And the Lieder accompaniments are also on different labels.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SurprisedByBeauty

Off-Schubert:

Schubert Gone Wild

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/schubert-gone-wild/?search=1

QuoteHere's a recording the success of which depends entirely on how you approach it. If you think of it as a classical Lied recital that experiments, you'll likely regard it as an experiment gone wrong. Come to it as a folk-blues-country-jazz-crooner album (or whatever genre you might associate it with) that happens to pay homage to Schubert–or better still, with no expectation whatsoever–it might just tickle you in all the right places...

vers la flamme

Happy birthday to the master.

Anyone listening today or recently? I listened to the Great C major symphony earlier and now the C major String Quintet.

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 31, 2021, 11:57:59 AM

Anyone listening today or recently? I listened to the Great C major symphony earlier and now the C major String Quintet.

I listened to the 8th and 9th symphonies recently.  Does seem like a good time to listen to his string quintet.

Mandryka

Quote from: vers la flamme on January 31, 2021, 11:57:59 AM

Violin sonatas on this one

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mandryka on January 31, 2021, 12:23:10 PM
Violin sonatas on this one

I saw you'd posted that somewhere recently and it piqued my interest. I'll see if I can find it. I have a disc of Skærved playing concertos by Hans Werner Henze on Naxos but I don't remember whether or not it's any good.

Mandryka

Unconditionally recommended. It's a case of the instrument showing things about the music, things I hadn't heard before (it's percussiveness, the impact of the music in the lower registers.) I'm talking about the last three sonatas. Thrilling - this Schubert will knock your pipe and slippers off. Khouri shows himself a master at well judged expressive rubato. CD is expensive, I made do with an iTunes download.

André

Quote from: Mandryka on March 31, 2021, 10:01:17 AM

Unconditionally recommended. It's a case of the instrument showing things about the music, things I hadn't heard before (it's percussiveness, the impact of the music in the lower registers.) I'm talking about the last three sonatas. Thrilling - this Schubert will knock your pipe and slippers off. Khouri shows himself a master at well judged expressive rubato. CD is expensive, I made do with an iTunes download.

Thanks for your comment, looks extremely good. I have a couple of discs by Khouri (Clementi, Hummel) and admire his musicianship.

Mandryka

Quote from: André on March 31, 2021, 01:10:57 PM
Thanks for your comment, looks extremely good. I have a couple of discs by Khouri (Clementi, Hummel) and admire his musicianship.

It's very divisive of course, and pianophiles probably with bitch about his technique. But where Khouri is essential is not just in that he chooses wonderful old pianos, it's that he plays them in an idiomatic way, he doesn't play a Bohm piano from the first half of the 19th century like it's a Steinway piano from the second half of the 20th century. I find this a revelation and a shock, and I like shocking revelations.

Artem

I was wondering what is everybody's favourite Schubert's symphony?

Recently I have been enamoured of the 5th.

Florestan

Quote from: Artem on August 02, 2021, 11:44:33 PM
I was wondering what is everybody's favourite Schubert's symphony?

Recently I have been enamoured of the 5th.

The 9th. It's my favorite symphony by anyone, actually.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

I don't much care for the finale of the 9th and especially the first movement is also very difficult to do well (I have more than a dozen recordings and have quibbles with all of them), so I'd have to go for the Unfinished b minor (that also has a host of issues, of course).
My favorites of the early ones are 2 and 3.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

amw

I couldn't pick between 3, 6 and D944 to be honest. Probably the latter, most days, but then not always.

Florestan

Quote from: amw on August 03, 2021, 03:03:32 AM
I couldn't pick between 3, 6 and D944 to be honest. Probably the latter, most days, but then not always.

The 6th is probably my second favorite, even ahead of the 8th.

Tbh, there's not a single one of them that I dislike. Even the much maligned 5th is sheer delight to these ears.

Jo498

The might be the most "perfect" of the early ones but it's one of the pieces I am truly sick and tired of; it's also a bit cute with the more obvious Mozart/Haydn allusions. I am divided about the 6th. Sometimes I think it is the most original and interesting of the early ones, sometimes it seems a not really successful experiment.
Overall, early Schubert symphonies is music I rarely put on but am usually charmed by when I do.
- Blaise Pascal

Mountain Goat

No. 9 comfortably, No. 5 among the earlier ones.

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2021, 08:42:02 AM
Even the much maligned 5th is sheer delight to these ears.

Much maligned, really?! I always got the impression the 5th was the most popular of the first 6...

Florestan

Quote from: Mountain Goat on August 03, 2021, 09:57:46 AM
Much maligned, really?!

Yes. Here's the latest instance:

Quote from: Jo498 on August 03, 2021, 09:56:01 AM
The might be the most "perfect" of the early ones but it's one of the pieces I am truly sick and tired of; it's also a bit cute with the more obvious Mozart/Haydn allusions.

Jo498

Most popular and overplayed and cute are two sides of the same coin. It's not fresh anymore for me, compared to 1-4. The Trout quintet is another candidate.
- Blaise Pascal

Brian

The Fifth is definitely the most popular of the first six on concert programs. When was the last time you saw, say, No. 2 live?

Anyway, my own ranking would be 8, tie 3/6, 4, 2, 7, 5, 1. amw has good taste.