Author Topic: Franz Schubert  (Read 100168 times)

Offline calyptorhynchus

Re: Franz Schubert
« Reply #620 on: November 18, 2020, 03:36:04 PM »
Did Andreas Staier ever do a box set of Schubert piano sonatas?

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #621 on: November 19, 2020, 12:26:22 AM »
Not that I know of. It's not likely because his Schubert recordings are on at least two different labels. The last 3 sonatas  and the a minor D 845 and a four-hand-disc (with Lubimov) are on Teldec/warner, the more recent D 894, another four hand anthology (with Melnikov) as well as trios are on harmonia mundi. And the Lieder accompaniments are also on different labels.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #622 on: December 15, 2020, 12:07:11 AM »
Off-Schubert:

Schubert Gone Wild

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/schubert-gone-wild/?search=1

Here’s a recording the success of which depends entirely on how you approach it. If you think of it as a classical Lied recital that experiments, you’ll likely regard it as an experiment gone wrong. Come to it as a folk-blues-country-jazz-crooner album (or whatever genre you might associate it with) that happens to pay homage to Schubert–or better still, with no expectation whatsoever–it might just tickle you in all the right places...

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #623 on: January 31, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »
Happy birthday to the master.

Anyone listening today or recently? I listened to the Great C major symphony earlier and now the C major String Quintet.

Offline DavidW

« Reply #624 on: January 31, 2021, 01:13:08 PM »

Anyone listening today or recently? I listened to the Great C major symphony earlier and now the C major String Quintet.

I listened to the 8th and 9th symphonies recently.  Does seem like a good time to listen to his string quintet.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #625 on: January 31, 2021, 01:23:10 PM »

Violin sonatas on this one

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #626 on: January 31, 2021, 01:24:58 PM »
Violin sonatas on this one

I saw you'd posted that somewhere recently and it piqued my interest. I'll see if I can find it. I have a disc of Skærved playing concertos by Hans Werner Henze on Naxos but I don't remember whether or not it's any good.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #627 on: March 31, 2021, 10:01:17 AM »

Unconditionally recommended. It’s a case of the instrument showing things about the music, things I hadn’t heard before (it’s percussiveness, the impact of the music in the lower registers.) I’m talking about the last three sonatas. Thrilling - this Schubert will knock your pipe and slippers off. Khouri shows himself a master at well judged expressive rubato. CD is expensive, I made do with an iTunes download.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:03:32 AM by Mandryka »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #628 on: March 31, 2021, 01:10:57 PM »

Unconditionally recommended. It’s a case of the instrument showing things about the music, things I hadn’t heard before (it’s percussiveness, the impact of the music in the lower registers.) I’m talking about the last three sonatas. Thrilling - this Schubert will knock your pipe and slippers off. Khouri shows himself a master at well judged expressive rubato. CD is expensive, I made do with an iTunes download.

Thanks for your comment, looks extremely good. I have a couple of discs by Khouri (Clementi, Hummel) and admire his musicianship.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #629 on: April 01, 2021, 03:37:39 AM »
Thanks for your comment, looks extremely good. I have a couple of discs by Khouri (Clementi, Hummel) and admire his musicianship.

It's very divisive of course, and pianophiles probably with bitch about his technique. But where Khouri is essential is not just in that he chooses wonderful old pianos, it's that he plays them in an idiomatic way, he doesn't play a Bohm piano from the first half of the 19th century like it's a Steinway piano from the second half of the 20th century. I find this a revelation and a shock, and I like shocking revelations.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:40:02 AM by Mandryka »