Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on May 01, 2008, 09:24:54 PM
Next time, after exhausting yourself from a diet of Romantic music, try to listen to some of his piano works, say The Well-Tempered Clavier or the Goldberg Variations. It's like the comforting voice of sanity.
Much as I love Bach, I cannot imagine becoming exhausted by Romantic music, especially not by Schubert.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: Sforzando on May 04, 2008, 03:41:56 AM
You display considerable intellectual maturity for a young man of 17 or 18.

Thank you. Experience has taught me that age is rarely an accurate indication of maturity, capability, or sophistication. I do like to appear (as in physical appearance) much older than I really am, though, because age carries great import in Chinese societies and when people know you're a kid it can be a little difficult to get yourself taken seriously.

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 04, 2008, 05:48:46 AM
Much as I love Bach, I cannot imagine becoming exhausted by Romantic music, especially not by Schubert.

I find that music from all eras will exhaust me eventually if I persist on listening to them for a really long period of time. It's just that Romantic music seems to wear me out faster (not that this is any negative indication of its quality!) This is why in my listening I frequently jump from one era to another, just to keep things fresh and interesting. Well, to each his own I guess.

Now back to Schubert...

Heather Harrison

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on May 04, 2008, 07:09:32 AM
Now back to Schubert...

Good idea.  I see that there has been a bit of argument in this thread, but then that is to be expected when people have strong feelings regarding these composers.  In my case, I'm happy to have the music that all of them have provided, and I'm not too concerned about whether one composer might be better than another.

Over the years, I have listened to Schubert on occasion, but never really connected with him in general, although I have always loved a few works, such as the unfinished 8th Symphony, the Trout Quintet, the "Rosamunde" quartet, and many of the lieder.  Recently, thanks to a few concerts and some CD purchases, I have finally connected with him and found a lot to like.  I still find his work to be a bit uneven, but that is to be expected given that he started early and was quite prolific, leaving behind a great number of youthful works.  (Mozart would be another example of this.)  That said, I find many of his early works enjoyable, while I find his later works far more profound, complex, and interesting.

Perhaps my favorites out of my recent explorations of his work are the Masses.  I never had paid much attention to them before; there are so many composers and so much music that something good is bound to fall through the cracks.  The late E-flat Mass (D.950) is quite expansive and complex, and I'm sure I will discover a lot on repeated listenings.  The shorter G major Mass (D.167) is quite enjoyable, and I find it to be more interesting and complex than many of the other early works.

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who wants to dig deeper into his music?  I'm looking to explore further.

Heather

Holden

Quote from: quintett op.57 on May 04, 2008, 02:20:44 AM
Why haven't you said "how can he denigrate Bach, Mozart & Schubert"?

I assume you are denigrating the 2 latter

Definitely not, it's just that I rate Bach so highly that I can't see anyone denigrating his music.
Cheers

Holden

Ten thumbs

Quote from: Heather Harrison on May 04, 2008, 12:25:52 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who wants to dig deeper into his music?  I'm looking to explore further.

Heather
One work you really should look up is the F minor Fantasy for piano duet (D940).
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Holden

Quote from: Ten thumbs on May 05, 2008, 11:51:57 AM
One work you really should look up is the F minor Fantasy for piano duet (D940).

Especially the stunning performance by Lupu/Perahia!
Cheers

Holden

Heather Harrison

Thanks.  I just looked it up, and it looks interesting.  I have put it on my list of things to add to my next order.

Heather

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Heather Harrison on May 04, 2008, 12:25:52 PM

The C major String Quintet and the G major Quartet have already been mentioned. They are my favored Schubert compositions. Seriously, they are among the greatest chamber works ever written, and they contain some of the most heartfelt music you'll ever ear.

Heather Harrison

I have those, and I also rate them highly.  A while back, I bought a CD set (Emerson String Quartet; with Rostropovich on the Quintet) that includes these and the "Rosamunde" and "Death and the Maiden" quartets, and they are all good.  I recently heard the "Rosamunde" quartet in concert, and that is what reawakened my interest in Schubert.  I'll have to look for more of his late chamber music.

Heather

ChamberNut

Ten Thumbs up!!  :D

I agree, this is a must listen to.  This one really blew me away the first time I heard it.

Que

And we have a thread for that as well... ;D

Schubert F minor Fantasie for 4 hands D940

Q

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 05, 2008, 05:52:14 PM
The C major String Quintet and the G major Quartet have already been mentioned. They are my favored Schubert compositions. Seriously, they are among the greatest chamber works ever written, and they contain some of the most heartfelt music you'll ever ear.

Seconded, thirded, fourthed.... these are both works which I can never tire of. But don't get me started on them....

(poco) Sforzando

What I find curious about the overall direction of this thread is that it heavily emphasizes the instrumental works, while Schubert has historically been thought of as one of the most important composers of Lieder. Any collection of Schubert without the three main song cycles, as well as a good sampling of individual songs, would in my opinion not be representative.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

ChamberNut

Quote from: Sforzando on May 06, 2008, 04:11:24 AM
What I find curious about the overall direction of this thread is that it heavily emphasizes the instrumental works, while Schubert has historically been thought of as one of the most important composers of Lieder. Any collection of Schubert without the three main song cycles, as well as a good sampling of individual songs, would in my opinion not be representative.

Agreed.  But what if you're not into songs?  Just like some people aren't into chamber music.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 06, 2008, 04:17:30 AM
Agreed.  But what if you're not into songs?  Just like some people aren't into chamber music.

I was that way for most of my life. I avoided anything with singing (ask around, it was a joke around here for a long time). Then I got a disk of Schubert Lieder (and a couple of Mozart operas) and seriously listened to them. It changed my outlook! They are that good. As a fellow chamber nut, I can only recommend you give a listen to maybe a recital disk. We aren't talking about plain chordal accompaniments here, but long lines of quite extraordinary piano work that sets the singing off like no other composer. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

karlhenning

Quote from: Sforzando on May 06, 2008, 04:11:24 AM
Any collection of Schubert without the three main song cycles, as well as a good sampling of individual songs, would in my opinion not be representative.

I think consensus is strong enough, that such a sentiment transcends your own particular opinion.

ChamberNut (& Gurn), FWIW, I find Schubert's Lieder significantly more readily affable in live performance, than on disc (even when the disc contains an exemplary performance).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on May 06, 2008, 04:35:11 AM
I think consensus is strong enough, that such a sentiment transcends your own particular opinion.

ChamberNut (& Gurn), FWIW, I find Schubert's Lieder significantly more readily affable in live performance, than on disc (even when the disc contains an exemplary performance).

Well, I'll see if I can talk the fellers down at Joe's Country Bunker into a little Gretchen am Spinnrade (in Tammy Wynette style) next Saturday night...

AHHH DUCK!  :o

Although, of course, you are absolutely right. I would love to see a Schubertiade with a nice variety of songs and chamber/keyboard music. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 06, 2008, 04:17:30 AM

I would thing that if Schubert is your "third favorite" composer, you'd want to explore as many of his major achievements as you can.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

karlhenning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2008, 05:28:45 AM
Well, I'll see if I can talk the fellers down at Joe's Country Bunker into a little Gretchen am Spinnrade (in Tammy Wynette style) next Saturday night...

Well, over at The Purple Shamrock they were doing a grand reggae adaptation of Erlkönig.

Ciel_Rouge

I have just discovered Schubert's op. 100 along with a whole new world of chamber music (I mostly listened to symphonies before). I am particularly fascinated with the second movement in the Piano Trio No. 2. The initial piano theme sounds to me like it is based on a dance, some strong and solemn rhythm, sounds sort of like a tango to me. Could someone please tell me what dance could that be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLl432wS_rQ