Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Bill, it seems the "favourite three recordings" party is already over? :D Here are mine anyway:

I decided to leave out recommendations for the Lieder - they would merit a seperate "favourite three". And then there are the masses by Bruno Weil, Bill this is impossible! :o 0:)

BTW the octet by the Mozzafiato - wholeheartedly seconded! :)

Q

Opus106

Schubert is a man on his way to the gallows, unable to stop telling his friends how incomparably beautiful life is -- and how simple.

Anner Bylsma   
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on July 24, 2010, 10:19:23 AM
Schubert is a man on his way to the gallows, unable to stop telling his friends how incomparably beautiful life is -- and how simple.

Anner Bylsma   

Yes, I've always wondered how it must have felt, knowing as he did that he was condemned to death and yet carrying on (after a bit) as though it was nothing. It must have been a difficult 6 years... :-\

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Palmer Chamber Orchestra / Palmer Harris / Garrison / Fortunato / Guyer - Hob 28 02 Opera buffa in 2 Acts "La Cantarina" pt 04 Act I. Accompanied Recitative: Che dici
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 24, 2010, 10:30:39 AM
Yes, I've always wondered how it must have felt, knowing as he did that he was condemned to death and yet carrying on (after a bit) as though it was nothing. It must have been a difficult 6 years... :-\

8)

I can sure hear it in the music. It's one of the things I love most about Schubert. Listening to late Schubert for me is kinda like watching a Bergman film. It's beautiful, painful and unafraid to go into the dark corners of life. I always learn something about myself from the experience.

Wanderer

Quote from: DarkAngel on April 29, 2010, 10:23:18 AM

I am almost ready to buy this purely on the strength of Dausgaard's great Beethoven symphony set, anyone have this hybrid disc of symphonies 8, 9...........

As with other releases in this BIS label set uses smaller orchestra than normal with Swedish Chamber Orch.....

Nothing special, unfortunately. The Ninth is somewhat interesting but the Unvollendete is utterly destroyed by his approach. He seemingly tries to emulate the (=his) Beethoven style but not to the music's benefit; nor are there any significant interpretative insights, either.

Philoctetes

I'm really trying to dig Schubert's Piano Sonatas, but it's just not working for me. I just find them so boring.

So I'm wondering which of them should I listen to next?
And played by who?

I'm really trying to like the guy, but it's not going all that well.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 16, 2010, 07:38:31 AM
I'm really trying to dig Schubert's Piano Sonatas, but it's just not working for me. I just find them so boring.

And played by who?

Have you tried his Impromptus and Moments Musicaux (Brendel, Philips)?

I was just listening to it yesterday, and marvelling at these wonderful short piano pieces.

Also try the Fantasy in F minor for 4 hands!

George

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 16, 2010, 07:38:31 AM

And played by who?

Who's Schubert have you heard? I like Richter (Sonatas) and Pires (Impromptus)

Philoctetes

Quote from: Brahmsian on August 16, 2010, 07:41:22 AM
Have you tried his Impromptus and Moments Musicaux (Brendel, Philips)?

I was just listening to it yesterday, and marvelling at these wonderful short piano pieces.

Also try the Fantasy in F minor for 4 hands!

I have. I enjoy his 'smaller' works, and I absolutely adore his works for two pianists.

Quote from: George on August 16, 2010, 07:58:54 AM
Who's Schubert have you heard? I like Richter (Sonatas) and Pires (Impromptus)

I can't recall them all, but Brendel, Uchida, Cooper, Pollini, Goode, Curzon... I've heard most of the 'popular' ones.

kishnevi

Quote from: Philoctetes on August 16, 2010, 08:08:39 AM
I have. I enjoy his 'smaller' works, and I absolutely adore his works for two pianists.

I can't recall them all, but Brendel, Uchida, Cooper, Pollini, Goode, Curzon... I've heard most of the 'popular' ones.

Perhaps the sonatas are not for you.  In which case, it won't matter who performs them or how many times you listen to them.

I have the last few sonatas by Brendel in live recordings on a 2 CD set, which is different enough from the studio recordings to warrant an independent listen.

Philoctetes

Quote from: kishnevi on August 16, 2010, 07:58:57 PM
Perhaps the sonatas are not for you.  In which case, it won't matter who performs them or how many times you listen to them.

I have the last few sonatas by Brendel in live recordings on a 2 CD set, which is different enough from the studio recordings to warrant an independent listen.

I think this may be it. The Richter didn't do anything for me, currently I'm listening to Afanassiev. Although, I'll admit that I loved the samples that I heard of Kuerti.

Philoctetes

I've finally figured out, that it wasn't the pianists, whom I love, and it wasn't even really the composer, whom I, in general, adore, but it was simply the piece that was boring the crap out of me.

I'm currently enjoying Pollini playing the sonatas save D.960, which one can surmise is the one that bores me.

I'll return to that piece later, though. Perhaps it will click then.

Gurn Blanston

A search doesn't seem to turn up this bit of info, so I'll just ask. Someone recommended, at one time, a box set of all of Schubert's masses (PI), and I thought it was by either Hickox or Weil. I am looking to fill that gap in my collection of Schubert, and hope that I can get some recs. Nothing from the 1930's or so, please... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 04:39:05 AM
A search doesn't seem to turn up this bit of info, so I'll just ask. Someone recommended, at one time, a box set of all of Schubert's masses (PI), and I thought it was by either Hickox or Weil. I am looking to fill that gap in my collection of Schubert, and hope that I can get some recs. Nothing from the 1930's or so, please... :)

8)

You are welcome.  :)

Franz Schubert
Complete Masses
Bruno Weil
Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment

Gurn Blanston

Thanks, Jens. Oddly, when I searched "weil schubert" all I got were the individual boxes, so I wasn't sure that was the one in the box set or it was some other. 'ppreciate'cha. :)

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 05:24:24 AM
Thanks, Jens. Oddly, when I searched "weil schubert" all I got were the individual boxes, so I wasn't sure that was the one in the box set or it was some other. 'ppreciate'cha. :)

8)

Searching for classical music in systems filed and organized by people who have no &#^$&@ clue about classical music is an advanced art-form that I have mastered in my years at Tower Records.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on November 01, 2010, 06:30:46 AM
Searching for classical music in systems filed and organized by people who have no &#^$&@ clue about classical music is an advanced art-form that I have mastered in my years at Tower Records.

:D  Yes, Amazon does me that way fairly often. I say "they don't seem to have it" and someone comes back with "sure, it's right here"... :-\  In this case, I wasn't sure there was a Weil box set so that made it more plausible that they wouldn't have it. :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 06:34:00 AM
:D  Yes, Amazon does me that way fairly often. I say "they don't seem to have it" and someone comes back with "sure, it's right here"... :-\  In this case, I wasn't sure there was a Weil box set so that made it more plausible that they wouldn't have it. :)

8)

What's really funny here is that Gurn awhile back pointed me to that Weil box set! ;D  You're going senile old man. <ducks!>

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on November 01, 2010, 06:41:51 AM
What's really funny here is that Gurn awhile back pointed me to that Weil box set! ;D  You're going senile old man. <ducks!>

I'm almost positive that was Haydn though... although my memory does seem the shortest part of me at this point in my life... :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 01, 2010, 06:54:32 AM
I'm almost positive that was Haydn though... although my memory does seem the shortest part of me at this point in my life... :)

8)

It was both. ;D  But I remember the Schubert set in particular because I couldn't find it on amazon and you impressed me with your mad search skills by giving me the link. :D