Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Thanks! I was surprised to find that Mackerras disc didn't contain the 7th - all the others aside from the 10th were lesser-known un-numbered ones. I would also be interested in that movement from the 8th that Scarpia mentions.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Schubert experts! I've got a question. "Death and the maiden" - it's a Lied by Schubert and also a string quartet, which shares the Lieds theme in the second movement. The Lyrics of the Lied are those (Src.):

QuoteDas Mädchen:
Vorüber! Ach, vorüber!
Geh, wilder Knochenmann!
Ich bin noch jung! Geh, lieber,
Und rühre mich nicht an.
Und rühre mich nicht an.

Der Tod:
Gib deine Hand, du schön und zart Gebild!
Bin Freund, und komme nicht, zu strafen.
Sei gutes Muts! ich bin nicht wild,
Sollst sanft in meinen Armen schlafen!

The Maiden:
Pass me by! Oh, pass me by!
Go, fierce man of bones!
I am still young! Go, rather,
And do not touch me.
And do not touch me.

Death:
Give me your hand, you beautiful and tender form!
I am a friend, and come not to punish.
Be of good cheer! I am not fierce,
Softly shall you sleep in my arms!

Now in the following Video you hear the string quartets Andante accompanied with voice and electronic music. Lyrics start at 0:20 - What lyrics are used here? I cannot recognize the Lieds lyrics here, at least not the german lyrics. Honestly I do not understand the sung text at all. Sounds like - gibberish. We say "Kauderwelsch". I'm a native german speaker. Your opinions? BTW, I love that piece. Both, the SQ and also the Murcof "remix".

http://www.youtube.com/v/am0TeTZNw3Y

snyprrr

I'm trying to get in touch with some more Chamber Music from the 'Biggies', incl. Schubert. I didn't take to the SQs too well (see Posts), but really liked the String Quintet,... and I'm not to clear on the PTs.

What is FS's most...uh....best...uh...

oy, help me out here!

Scarpia

Quote from: snyprrr on May 15, 2011, 08:24:49 AM
I'm trying to get in touch with some more Chamber Music from the 'Biggies', incl. Schubert. I didn't take to the SQs too well (see Posts), but really liked the String Quintet,... and I'm not to clear on the PTs.

What is FS's most...uh....best...uh...

oy, help me out here!

I'm assuming the Trout quintet and Octet will be too cloyingly saccharine for you.  I don't know the Piano Trios, but I'm surprised the Death and the Maiden quartet did not make an impression.

DavidW

You should try the late string quartets again, you blew them off too quickly and frankly that was two years ago, give them a fresh listen.

I'm not sure what "I'm not to clear on the PTs" mean, but if it means you haven't listened to them, they are perhaps the finest piano trios ever written, excepting perhaps Beethoven's Op 70 and the Archduke Trio.

Also you want to check out the Arpeggione sonata.  Happy listening! :)

I'll follow up with recordings in a second.

DavidW

[asin]B000H0MGZU[/asin] [asin]B000069CVC[/asin] [asin]B00000078H[/asin]

I like these, maybe you will too. :)

Opus106

If you're looking for some more chamber music from Schubert, I'm sorry to tell you that there isn't much more than what you have already listed. Of course, I'm not including lieder and stuff. Oh, BTW, have you listened D. 965? It's a work for soprano, clarinet and piano. Lovely, heart-warming piece.

http://www.youtube.com/v/rPpII4xTVrc

http://www.youtube.com/v/IIJKgRs2BMU

Here is a nice set PI recordings of some of his chamber music: Bylsma and gang, performing Schubert
Regards,
Navneeth

DavidW

Navneeth, I haven't heard D 965, I'm going to have to check it out.

I couldn't get your link to work is this what you're talking about?
[asin]B000P6RB9M[/asin]

DavidW

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 15, 2011, 11:27:09 AM
I haven't heard those, but I've never heard a bad recording from the Florestan Trio.

They're my favorite piano trio ensemble, and worth paying full price for.

Opus106

Quote from: haydnfan on May 15, 2011, 11:27:37 AM
I couldn't get your link to work is this what you're talking about?
[asin]B000P6RB9M[/asin]

Yep. (Sorry about that link. It's fixed now.)
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Quote from: haydnfan on May 15, 2011, 08:50:28 AM
Oh wait snips you're not the one that doesn't like BAT so check this out, my first set:

Oh David, don't be such a baby. 8) BTW as mentioned before, I actually like that BAT Schubert recording. But whatever.

More recommendations:

Q

DavidW

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 15, 2011, 10:47:02 PM
BTW as mentioned before, I actually like that BAT Schubert recording. But whatever.

See Snips, even Q likes it! :D

snyprrr

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on May 15, 2011, 10:47:02 PM
Oh David, don't be such a baby. 8) BTW as mentioned before, I actually like that BAT Schubert recording. But whatever.

More recommendations:

Q

I heard samples of the Gaia Scienza's Brahms PQ. WOW!! Who else plays like them?? :o

Lethevich

Has a numerical list of Schubert's piano sonatas been made (like with his quartets), in the same way that Beethoven's ones are sometimes organised? I have proven to be unable to memorise all the D. numbers, so for cataloguing purposes it would help. English Wikipedia avoids this convention, but the two articles on specific sonatas on German Wikipedia use a number in the titles, although there is no master list anywhere on there :-\

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 25, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
Has a numerical list of Schubert's piano sonatas been made (like with his quartets), in the same way that Beethoven's ones are sometimes organised? I have proven to be unable to memorise all the D. numbers, so for cataloguing purposes it would help. English Wikipedia avoids this convention, but the two articles on specific sonatas on German Wikipedia use a number in the titles, although there is no master list anywhere on there :-\

http://www.trovar.com/Deutsch.html

Lethevich

Excellent! Thanks, toñito :) A final annoying question: do you know why certain numbers are missing on that list (No.7, 10)? Maybe it's an "incomplete" problem like Schubert's "7th", or perhaps like "Mozart"'s misattributed 37th symphony?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 25, 2011, 04:46:17 PM
Maybe it's an "incomplete" problem like Schubert's "7th"...

Yes, the fragments are the problem. For instance, Badura-Skoda's complete set of sonatas for pianoforte numbers the op. posth. 122, D 568 as No. 7; D 571 as No. 8 and D 613/612 as No. 10.  :) 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: toñito on June 25, 2011, 05:03:15 PM
Yes, the fragments are the problem. For instance, Badura-Skoda's complete set of sonatas for pianoforte numbers the op. posth. 122, D 568 as No. 7; D 571 as No. 8 and D 613/612 as No. 10.  :)

Precisely!  I have a couple of other disks also that do this; they take either very large fragments or else otherwise unattached sonata movements, and if they are in the correct key, they compile them into a sonata. It is very likely that, at least in some cases, they are exactly correct and that these movements were intended to go together. Without documentation, however, we will never know if they are right or not. Meanwhile, I try not to worry about it and I enjoy the music, which is certainly worthy of listening even if it isn't a set. :)

8)

----------------
Now playing:
La Petite Bande / Sigiswald Kuijken - Hob 02 20 Divertimento in F 3rd mvmt - Adagio
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

Thanks! I'll begin re-tagging ;)

Memorising numbers like, say, No.14, 17 and 20 will be a lot easier than the Yen-like inflation of D.810, 850 and 959 :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on June 25, 2011, 05:22:16 PM
Thanks! I'll begin re-tagging ;)

Memorising numbers like, say, No.14, 17 and 20 will be a lot easier than the Yen-like inflation of D.810, 850 and 959 :)

More power to you, Sara, but not to be ornery, just sayin'; it is far easier for me to remember Opus, Köchel, Hob. & Deutsche numbers than it is to remember "String Quartet #14" or "Sonata #12". I know that sounds strange, I guess it's just the way my memory works. And clearly, it is the antithesis of the way your memory works! :D

8)

----------------
Now playing:
The Hanover Band / Goodman - Hob 01 001 Symphony in D 2nd mvmt - Andante
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)