Franz Schubert

Started by Paul-Michel, April 25, 2008, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyeresist

Glad you are enjoying the Marriner box. I must listen to 7 and 10 today!

Brahmsian

Listened to the French-Canadian radio station Espace Musiques, which play a stirring recording of Kempff playing Schubert's B flat major D960 piano sonata.

Indeed, as the radio programmer described, there must be a better word to describe Schubert than 'genius'.  The term is thrown around too loosely, and it taints true genius, as is the authentic case with Schubert.

SonicMan46

Schubert Symphony Set using period instruments - updated suggestions?

Just purchased my second 'complete' Schubert Symphonies package (had Harnoncourt & added Kertesz, listening to the latter now) - would like to add one more set to my collection w/ period performances; below are ones found from a preliminary search - the Immerseel recordings (discussed previously in this thread) are being re-released in a month or so according to Amazon USA (top pic, right); the Roy Goodman set has been around; also found a Marc Minokowski offering (rather pricey on that label) - assume the same instrumentation as used on his London Symphonies recording?  Norrington has a bunch of single discs but not sure if a box of all has been on the market?

SO, would appreciate comments on the offerings shown below or suggestions of others that I may have missed - thanks!  Dave :)

Opus106

Dave, you can watch some from the Minkowsi set at this website. Naturally, being recordings of live performances in the truest sense, it may differ in some aspects from the final product, which may have been adjusted here and there, but it should give you a good idea of the performances in general, and let you decide whether if it's your cup of tea. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on October 01, 2012, 09:23:47 AM
Dave, you can watch some from the Minkowsi set at this website. Naturally, being recordings of live performances in the truest sense, it may differ in some aspects from the final product, which may have been adjusted here and there, but it should give you a good idea of the performances in general, and let you decide whether if it's your cup of tea. :)

Hi Navneeth - thanks for the link; I'll take a listen; own his recordings of the Haydn London Symphonies and enjoy - so certainly a consideration; but so many choices to consider!  Dave :)

mszczuj

There was something like this:

[asin]B000INAVQW[/asin]

Florestan

In case you haven't seen it yet here is an excellent documentary on Schubert's last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHwkmiKlQsA
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Opus106

Quote from: Florestan on November 27, 2012, 04:40:56 AM
In case you haven't seen it yet here is an excellent documentary on Schubert's last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHwkmiKlQsA

The BBC has a knack for doing such good stuff, doesn't it? Thanks for the link. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Florestan

Quote from: Opus106 on November 27, 2012, 04:50:39 AM
The BBC has a knack for doing such good stuff, doesn't it?

Indeed. There are also those about Vivaldi, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and Chopin, all of them available on youtube.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Octave

I only ran across mention of this reissue today, but it's a year old already.  A search did not turn up results in this thread, so....

[asin]B006801PRI[/asin]
Schubert: CHAMBER WORKS - Adolf Bush, Rudolf Serkin et al (Regis, 3cd, 2012)

I notice that MDT is seller it for less than $10.
http://www.mdt.co.uk/schubert-chamber-works-busch-chamber-ensembles-rudolf-serkin-regis-3cds.html

I have the EMI GROC w/Quartets 14/15; I'd be curious to know if the sound is better on this issue.  I have heard both complaints and praise for Regis.  (I avoided their Kempff mono Beethoven sonatas box due to such complaints re: transfer quality, but a handful of other releases have sounded fine to me, without comparison.)
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

madaboutmahler

The 9th symphony has always been an absolute favourite of mine since I was very young. Listening to it today (Harnoncourt's performance), I remembered how it was actually the first piece to make me cry when I was younger. But why?! Surely this piece, often acknowledged as particularly happy, should bring jollity to our minds?
I definitely think that the finale has a hidden melancholy and sentimentality to it. I think with the consistent and insistent repetition of the urgency of the rhythms and the desire to remain in major tonality may represent a desperate hope to reach joy and happiness by the end, and yet, never quite reaching it... I think Harnoncourt captures this idea, as there is a diminuendo on the last chord, quite like a final sigh.

Anyway, this is really fascinating for me... what do you all think?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mandryka

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 28, 2013, 05:14:12 AM
The 9th symphony has always been an absolute favourite of mine since I was very young. Listening to it today (Harnoncourt's performance), I remembered how it was actually the first piece to make me cry when I was younger. But why?! Surely this piece, often acknowledged as particularly happy, should bring jollity to our minds?
I definitely think that the finale has a hidden melancholy and sentimentality to it. I think with the consistent and insistent repetition of the urgency of the rhythms and the desire to remain in major tonality may represent a desperate hope to reach joy and happiness by the end, and yet, never quite reaching it... I think Harnoncourt captures this idea, as there is a diminuendo on the last chord, quite like a final sigh.

Anyway, this is really fascinating for me... what do you all think?

The music seems emotionally a blank tablet, the performer seems able to impose whatever emotions he wants on it. From tragic (Karajan Vienna) to edgy and driven (Bruno Maderna) to a whole lot of things in between. Schubert's music is often like that, it's one of the things which interests me about it.

Which of the two Harnoncourt records were you listening to? I love Harnoncourt's Schubert.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

I agree with Mandryka; for me the joy is most palpable in Mackerras/Philharmonia, by the way. Harnoncourt/Concertgebouw was the first Schubert Ninth (he calls it Eighth, rightly) in my life, and at the time its greatest emotional effect on me came in the push-and-pull struggle of the slow movement - and also in the third-mvt trio, which had a huge impact on the kid version of me.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mandryka on May 28, 2013, 10:57:24 AM
The music seems emotionally a blank tablet, the performer seems able to impose whatever emotions he wants on it. From tragic (Karajan Vienna) to edgy and driven (Bruno Maderna) to a whole lot of things in between. Schubert's music is often like that, it's one of the things which interests me about it.

Which of the two Harnoncourt records were you listening to? I love Harnoncourt's Schubert.
Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2013, 11:00:05 AM
I agree with Mandryka; for me the joy is most palpable in Mackerras/Philharmonia, by the way. Harnoncourt/Concertgebouw was the first Schubert Ninth (he calls it Eighth, rightly) in my life, and at the time its greatest emotional effect on me came in the push-and-pull struggle of the slow movement - and also in the third-mvt trio, which had a huge impact on the kid version of me.

It was from this set:
[asin]B000AGL1A2[/asin]

I can imagine performances being able to be very emotionally different, indeed. This Harnoncourt is the one I grew up with so I suppose my thoughts are based on this performance. I also know Mackerras/OAE. Harnoncourt really does bring out the melancholy in the last movement, there's something to the phrasing of the beautiful oboe second subject, a slight lilting feel that gives a sense of longing. And how the final tutti chord fades away (notice, unison tonic, no 3rds establishing major), giving a sense of an unresolved sigh...
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

MASS ALERT!!

Sorry, don't be alarmed, I'm just looking for recommendations for a few of Schubert's masses. I have at least one recording of each, but want a duplicate that will contrast well with my No.6, D950 Mass with Shaw/Atlanta and my No.5, D678 Mass with Sawallisch/Bavarian. I have a few of Weil's recordings of the earlier masses, but didn't know what the consensus was on his recording of these two.

In fact, I'll take recs on any of the masses, here's what I already have... Weil - No.1, 2, 3 and 4; Sawallish - No. 4, 5 and German Mass; and Shaw - No.2 and 6.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Que

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 28, 2013, 07:41:44 PM
MASS ALERT!!

Sorry, don't be alarmed, I'm just looking for recommendations for a few of Schubert's masses. I have at least one recording of each, but want a duplicate that will contrast well with my No.6, D950 Mass with Shaw/Atlanta and my No.5, D678 Mass with Sawallisch/Bavarian. I have a few of Weil's recordings of the earlier masses, but didn't know what the consensus was on his recording of these two.

In fact, I'll take recs on any of the masses, here's what I already have... Weil - No.1, 2, 3 and 4; Sawallish - No. 4, 5 and German Mass; and Shaw - No.2 and 6.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Bruno Weil. Recordings in the "definitive" category, I think. :)

(Picture is linked to Amazon US)

Q

dyn

Quote from: Que on August 28, 2013, 09:43:26 PM
Bruno Weil. Recordings in the "definitive" category, I think. :)

(Picture is linked to Amazon US)

Q

lol, i was just listening to the Mass D. 950 from this set. No basis for comparison with other recordings (this is the first choral Schubert i've ever heard) but the music itself is really, really impressive. Powerful & dramatic & well orchestrated and etc. Actually it strikes me on first hearing as being a good deal more "Beethovenian" than either of Beethoven's masses for whatever reason. Probably will look into getting their No. 5 next (i'm not sure how interesting the first 4 are by comparison)

Brahmsian

Winter Solstice Listen

Schubert

Winterreise, D911

Russell Braun, baritone
Carolyn Maule, piano

CBC Records

[asin]B000BHHVPY[/asin]

Brahmsian

A Schubertiad evening:

4 Ländler, D814
Fantasie in F minor, D940
Lebensstürme in A minor, D947
Grand Duo in C major, D812

[asin]B000EDWM1I[/asin]

String Quintet in C major, D956

[asin]B000001GFA[/asin]

Octet in F major, D803 (courtesy of Mr. SockMonkey)  :)

Music from Aston Magna
Harmonia Mundi

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 01, 2014, 04:35:39 PM
A Schubertiad evening:

Octet in F major, D803 (courtesy of Mr. SockMonkey)  :)

Music from Aston Magna
Harmonia Mundi

I'm glad you're still enjoying it, Ray.  :)
Schubert chamber does sound like a great choice for this evening, I think I'll join you.