Favorite Cello Concerto

Started by hornteacher, April 27, 2008, 05:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another pointless but fun poll.  What is your favorite cello concerto?

Boccherini
Dvorak
Elgar
Haydn C minor
Haydn D Major
Lutoslawski
Saint-Saens
Schumann
Shostakovich Eb Major
Shostakovich G Major
Walton
Other

quintett op.57

Which Saint-Saƫns is it?
I prefer the 2nd

eyeresist

Re Brahms' unwritten cello concerto: in his last years Brahms, sensing his powers diminishing, semi-retired from composition. He revised a few things, burned a few things (!), and wrote some chamber works including the clarinet works. He probably felt himself too old to attempt another large orchestral work. Alas.

Why doesn't someone turn the clarinet quintet into a cello concerto?  >:D

Guido

Quote from: eyeresist on May 04, 2008, 07:51:44 PM
Re Brahms' unwritten cello concerto: in his last years Brahms, sensing his powers diminishing, semi-retired from composition. He revised a few things, burned a few things (!), and wrote some chamber works including the clarinet works. He probably felt himself too old to attempt another large orchestral work. Alas.

Now that would be controversial! Clarinet pieces often translate well into string pieces I've found, perhaps because wrting for them is approached in a similar way (as opposed to say flute or trumpet writing), and both have a very wide range of articulations available to them. Maybe one day!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Brian

Quote from: eyeresist on May 04, 2008, 07:51:44 PM

Apparently he turned his Fifth Symphony into the Double Concerto...?

B_cereus

What about the third movement of the Brahms second piano concerto? :)

Guido

not a cello concerto but absolutely stunningly gorgeous... I can't believe I only heard it for the first time less than a month ago!
Geologist.

vandermolen

I did vote, but my favourites were not on the list:

Moeran Cello Concerto

Kabalevsky Cello Concerto No 2

Myaskovsky Cello Concerto

Barber Cello Concerto

Bridge Oration

Bloch Schelomo
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2008, 11:00:12 PM

Moeran Cello Concerto

Barber Cello Concerto

Bridge Oration

Bloch Schelomo

Nice choices!
Geologist.

Monsieur Croche

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2008, 11:00:12 PM

Moeran Cello Concerto

Barber Cello Concerto

Bridge Oration

Bloch Schelomo

I am not familiar with the Moeran and the Kabalevsky. Can anyone tell me more about them? Any suggested recordings?

Don

I voted for the Dvorak and Elgar.  However, I would have definitely voted for the Cello Concerto No. 2 in G minor by Julius Rontgen if it had been on the list.  It's a wonderful one-movement work loaded with great melodies and a conclusion that's a barn-stormer.  Can be found on the Etcetera label.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on May 08, 2008, 08:23:33 AM
I am not familiar with the Moeran and the Kabalevsky. Can anyone tell me more about them? Any suggested recordings?

There are only two CDs of the Moeran. It is a great late-romantic work and, together with the Symphony, Moeran's masterpiece. The Chandos CD is the more technically proficient but the Lyrita recording, performed by Moeran's wife, many years after his death is the more deeply felt and Boult's accompaniment is magic. That is the one I always listen to although the Chandos one was recently remastered and issued at mid-price with the Violin Concerto. It might be more readily available depending on where you live.

The best Kabalevsky Cello Concerto No 2 (a dark, deeply felt work..easily his greatest work IMHO...in the spirit of Shostakovich but just as great)..was by Daniel Shafran with Kabalevsky conducting, but there are good alternatives on Naxos, Chandos etc.

The new erato

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on May 08, 2008, 08:23:33 AM
I very much like the Kabalevski 2 on BIS

vandermolen

Quote from: erato on May 09, 2008, 12:22:57 PM
I very much like the Kabalevski 2 on BIS

I agree, also an excellent recording.

Don

Quote from: vandermolen on May 09, 2008, 12:22:16 PM
The best Kabalevsky Cello Concerto No 2 (a dark, deeply felt work..easily his greatest work IMHO...in the spirit of Shostakovich but just as great)..was by Daniel Shafran with Kabalevsky conducting, but there are good alternatives on Naxos, Chandos etc.

I also consider Kabalevsky's Cello Concerto 2 his best work.  Concerning modern recordings, my favorite is the Naxos that offers greater tension than the alternatives.

Guido

Don't forget Kabalevsky's gorgeous first concerto! It's absolutely charming, has great tunes, and the slow movement is to die for. Up until recently I would have said Marina Tarasova all the way for both tof these concertos - she infuses them with a great Russian feel, but now I have heard YoYo Mas version of the first I prefer that.

For the Miaskovsky there are also many fine recordings - again Tarasova is great because it comes coupled with the two cello sonatas, but Rostropovich's live account or studio account really can't be beaten - it was the first thing he recorded, very early in his career. Actually I believe he recorded it more than twice, but I've only heard two versions.
Geologist.

Guido

Oops I just realised that Moeran recomendation were being asked for, not Miaskovsky! Oh well - I agree with the Moeran - Wallfisch's account is very polished and beautiful, but there is just something very moving about Coetmore/Boult, plus it has the advantage of having the two other beautiful cello pieces. Her playing is far from perfect, but to me it doesn't matter. The Moeran is probably his finest orchestral work, and the cello sonata as well as the string trio are probably his finest chamber compositions.
Geologist.

vandermolen

Quote from: Guido on May 10, 2008, 09:42:59 AM
Oops I just realised that Moeran recomendation were being asked for, not Miaskovsky! Oh well - I agree with the Moeran - Wallfisch's account is very polished and beautiful, but there is just something very moving about Coetmore/Boult, plus it has the advantage of having the two other beautiful cello pieces. Her playing is far from perfect, but to me it doesn't matter. The Moeran is probably his finest orchestral work, and the cello sonata as well as the string trio are probably his finest chamber compositions.

Totally agree, also about the Rostropovich/Sargent Miaskovsky Cello Concerto, although the version on Chandos (with Symphony 27 is also excellent).