Cyril Scott

Started by tjguitar, May 03, 2007, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 29, 2008, 04:38:23 PM
Just bought and listened to the new Scott CD from Chandos.

I am not a huge fan of Cyril Scott's music. I have bought all of the orchestral works recently released but more out of a sense of duty to the cause of British music(or lunatic completism to be more cruel!). The Cello Concerto is rather too diffuse for my tastes-sub-Delian meandering at first listening(it may grow on me!) but the 1st symphony is rather a jolly piece-certainly unlike his music from the 1920s onwards. I do tend to be a bit suspicious of a lot of the turn of the century British music being released in some quantity these days and find much of it a bit pale in the obvious influences of Brahms, Dvorak etc but the Scott does show considerable promise and was definitely worth its revival by Chandos. Recommended!

Thanks. As a fellow "lunatic completist" I will be aquiring this along with new releases of Bax, Brian, etc etc. My favourite Scott CD is the Herrmann/Ogdon one on Lyrita. I like the Piano Concerto No 1, Early one Morning and "Neptune" on Chandos.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

tjguitar

Quote from: Guido on January 29, 2008, 06:53:23 PM
Where did you buy it from? Amazon doesn't yet list it, and I can't seem to see it on the website. I've been waiting for two years for this release - originally Jullia Lloyd Webber was meant to record the piece, so I don't know why that didn't happen. As I noted back in mAy, I wrote to them asking whether they could include 'The Melodist and the Nightingale' for cello and orchestra on this CD, but obviously they haven't. I read somewhere that this was the last in the series of discs too which is a bummer, as its likely to be ages before anyone shows any interest in recording anything else by him.  :(

Very much looking forward to the cello concerto though!

The last??? I thought Chandos commited to record all the 'major works' ? Are we at the end of the 'major' works?

Dundonnell

As I remarked earlier, Chandos has indeed ended their Scott series with this new CD. That means that not only will the other concerti remain unrecorded but that we shall not get any of Scott's choral works-like the Nativity Hymn, La Belle Dame sans merci, The Ballad of Fair Helen of Kirkconnel, the Mystic Ode, Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, the Ode to Great Men or the Hymn of Unity.

Pity. I am intrigued to know what Scott was like as a choral composer. A mini-series can be extremely frustrating if one discovers a composer whose music really appeals but can't hear other works by that same composer.

Guido

The Cello concerto is not an excellent piece, though sections of it that are wonderful (e.g. the opening), but I agree that it seems a tad diffuse. It is a little bit of a pity that they didn't record The Melodist and the Nightingales...  It would have fit on the CD too... annoying.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

schweitzeralan

Quite a few comments and thoughts on this particular thread.  I've been an aficionado of the music of Cyril Scott for many years.  I have dabbled on several of his piano pieces; despite my amateurism, the harmoies and chords suggest much subtle and lush harmony and color. Is there anyone out there who can or who does play this English impressionist?  Like "Bells," for instance? Exquisite piece among others composed during this earlier period of Scott's works.

vandermolen

I have enjoyed this new release of Cyril Scott's chamber music, having only previously heard his orchestral scores.  The earliest work is the Deubussyian/Ravelian Piano Trio No 1 from 1920.  I found this to be a very engaging and atmospheric score of c 30 minutes.  The other works are in Scott's later style but equally rewarding. There is a perceptive and not uncritical review on the Amazon UK site.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scott-Chamber-Nos-172-Clarinet-Quintet/dp/B002VFCE8I/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264116504&sr=8-23

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 29, 2008, 04:38:23 PM
Just bought and listened to the new Scott CD from Chandos.

I am not a huge fan of Cyril Scott's music. I have bought all of the orchestral works recently released but more out of a sense of duty to the cause of British music(or lunatic completism to be more cruel!). The Cello Concerto is rather too diffuse for my tastes-sub-Delian meandering at first listening(it may grow on me!) but the 1st symphony is rather a jolly piece-certainly unlike his music from the 1920s onwards. I do tend to be a bit suspicious of a lot of the turn of the century British music being released in some quantity these days and find much of it a bit pale in the obvious influences of Brahms, Dvorak etc but the Scott does show considerable promise and was definitely worth its revival by Chandos. Recommended!

I was going to initiate a thread on Cyril S. but am pleased that there are some Scott enthusiasts.  I bought the 1st Symphony CD a while ago, and I played it yesterday but listened only to the symphony.  Will pick it up tonight to listen to remaining titles. There has been several postings on this significant British composer.  I read years ago that he was somehow a member of the "Frankfort Group" Which included several other British composers including the Australian Grainger.  Scott had many talents and contributed many literary achievements along with the substantial musical works. He was called the English Debussy," and although there are similarities Scott generates his own subtleties.  This symphony is a fine work which is basically impressionistic and has many mystical, ethereal, metaphysical persuasions

vandermolen

This is my favourite Cyril Scott CD - a wonderful collaboration between John Ogdon and Bernard Herrmann.

Mirror Image

The work I've heard by Cyril Scott that I actually enjoyed was his Symphony No. 1, but even this work hasn't really impressed me that much. Never cared to explore his music any further. A RVW, Rubbra, or Bax he is not.

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2010, 07:55:39 AM
This is my favourite Cyril Scott CD - a wonderful collaboration between John Ogdon and Bernard Herrmann.
Don't have that recording, but I'll bet it is a good one.  Shall order tomorrow.

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2011-09-13
I have quite a few Cyril Scott cds,but have to admit that they don't get played THAT often. If they do,it's usually late at night with a stick of incense burning! The 3rd symphony is,what Frank Carson might have termed,'a bit of a cracker' and might make a fun Prom! The Piano Concerto No 1 is very original,in it's own early 20thC English sort of way & I rather like the spooky and rather mysterious sounding Fourth symphony,which would probably make good background music for a reading of  'Isis Unveiled' or 'The Secret Doctrine' by Madam Blavatsky! Not that I read that sort of thing,of course!!!
Nevertheless,the Cyril Scott cds that return most often to my cd player are the one pictured above,and the  Chandos recording of his Piano trios 1 & 2(etc),recommended by 'Vandermolen' in a previous post,which is another very enjoyable cd. Unlike his orchestral music,Scott's instrumental music seems far more focused,and I like the clean,lean,transparency of the textures. I even prefer it to his solo piano music,which pleasant as it is,in my opinion overrated,upmarket salon music (with,maybe a few exceptions). Also,his instrumental music is less moody. Cyril Scott,as allot of people here probably know,fancied himself as a bit of an occultist,and this unfortunate obsession does tend to result in a certain sameness of texture. Everything has to sound gloomy and mysterious,which wouldn't be as bad if Cyril Scott had been as talented and inspired as Scriabin. Unfortunately,he wasn't.
On a more positive note,Scotts best music is interesting enough for me to want to hear more. Some excerpts from his opera 'The Alchemist' broadcast on R3,some years ago,show an unexpectedly light touch & it seems to me that a recording of this fantastically scored opera,would make a suitably appropriate companion to Vaughan Williams's opera 'The Poisoned Kiss' or a (long overdue) complete recording of Holst's 'The Perfect Fool'. His choral music also sounds quite intriguing.

cilgwyn

I can see this threads going to run and run!
Incidentally,how many people here know that Cyril Scott wrote a very interesting book(let) on Constipation, (Constipation & Constipation 1956)?
(Well,it was worth a try!)
Something to read while you're gritting you're teeth through his Second Piano Concerto.

Dundonnell

I am not going to follow you very far regarding Cyril Scott ;D I think that I have already said everything I want to about old Cyril.

His music doesn't really do it for me...any more than does Frederick Delius or York Bowen(as Johan can testify ;D). I have all the cds of the orchestral music of each of these composers....because I am a British music 'afficianado'(euphemism  for 'lunatic') but I don't return to them very often and nod off when I try to concentrate on the music.

My loss, no doubt :)

cilgwyn

A yes and a No for Cyril Scott,I believe! As I said in my earlier post,I'm not a huge fan of Scotts music. The murky, densely chromatic,incense laden,occult infused,impressionistic meandering can be a bit much at times. To my mind,Cyril Scott is best listened to in a Tibetan monastery,surrounded by the cowled figures of Buddhist monks,thigh up in the Himalayan mountains,at or after midnight & preferably,if you're into Lobsang Rampa (anyone remember the his occult bestseller,'The Third Eye'? Apparently,he was actually an Irish Dustman) surrounded by a ring of giant Siamese cats.
Having said that,there's no denying that Scott was a very skilful orchestrator and his music IS 'different' (as opposed to deeply original) & I would certainly like to hear more.
It's just a pity that Scott couldn't have allowed a little more sunlight into his scores at times,those densely chromatic layers can get a bit tiring,at times. I must admit,if I'd ever been able to meet Scott,I would have had an overwhelming urge to tell the guy to lighten up! Having said that,when you're in an occult mood and you want a change from Alexander equally occult & mysterious Scriabin,there's nothing like a bit of late night Cyril Scott. Especially with Joss sticks.Although,make sure you've got a decent incense burner,otherwise you might end up burning the house down! Scented candles go very well with Scott too,especially those big tall ones!
  On the other hand,if you want you're Cyril Scott less murky and mysterious you could always have a go at the Naxos cd recommended above!
  On a more serious note,I was quite suprised at the vigour of the excerpts I heard from 'The Alchemist'. This strikes me as as score that not only deserves a complete professional recording,but could even appeal to some people who think they don't like Cyril Scott! But,who knows?
  I agree with you,Albion, about the Cello Concerto. That quiet spooky bit,particularly. Not the sort of thing you want to listen to with the lights off,particularly before bed! :o :o :o
Glad you like the eerie,enigmatic Fourth symphony. Possibly,my favourite! Oh,and the so called,'Festival Overture'. I could go on?!!!
  Have to say,I was disappointed that Chandos didn't get around to the harpsichord Concerto.
   Oh,and then there all those WIERD, sounding books!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o 

Yours Sincerely
                                                                                  Brother Cilgwyn

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2011-09-14
Can I keep the light on tonight,Mum?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

cilgwyn

By dinasman at 2011-09-14
A book Cyril Scott might have enjoyed.
"HELLO! IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE MONASTERY?"
He could have done with a house call!

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 14, 2011, 10:17:27 AM
A yes and a No for Cyril Scott,I believe! As I said in my earlier post,I'm not a huge fan of Scotts music. The murky, densely chromatic,incense laden,occult infused,impressionistic meandering can be a bit much at times. To my mind,Cyril Scott is best listened to in a Tibetan monastery,surrounded by the cowled figures of Buddhist monks,thigh up in the Himalayan mountains,at or after midnight & preferably,if you're into Lobsang Rampa (anyone remember the his occult bestseller,'The Third Eye'? Apparently,he was actually an Irish Dustman) surrounded by a ring of giant Siamese cats.
Having said that,there's no denying that Scott was a very skilful orchestrator and his music IS 'different' (as opposed to deeply original) & I would certainly like to hear more.
It's just a pity that Scott couldn't have allowed a little more sunlight into his scores at times,those densely chromatic layers can get a bit tiring,at times. I must admit,if I'd ever been able to meet Scott,I would have had an overwhelming urge to tell the guy to lighten up! Having said that,when you're in an occult mood and you want a change from Alexander equally occult & mysterious Scriabin,there's nothing like a bit of late night Cyril Scott. Especially with Joss sticks.Although,make sure you've got a decent incense burner,otherwise you might end up burning the house down! Scented candles go very well with Scott too,especially those big tall ones!
  On the other hand,if you want you're Cyril Scott less murky and mysterious you could always have a go at the Naxos cd recommended above!
  On a more serious note,I was quite suprised at the vigour of the excerpts I heard from 'The Alchemist'. This strikes me as as score that not only deserves a complete professional recording,but could even appeal to some people who think they don't like Cyril Scott! But,who knows?
  I agree with you,Albion, about the Cello Concerto. That quiet spooky bit,particularly. Not the sort of thing you want to listen to with the lights off,particularly before bed! :o :o :o
Glad you like the eerie,enigmatic Fourth symphony. Possibly,my favourite! Oh,and the so called,'Festival Overture'. I could go on?!!!
  Have to say,I was disappointed that Chandos didn't get around to the harpsichord Concerto.
   Oh,and then there all those WIERD, sounding books!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o 

Yours Sincerely
                                                                                  Brother Cilgwyn

Did you mean "high up in the Himalayan mountains" or-as you wrote- "thigh up in the Himalayan mountains"??

The latter conjures all kinds of strange images :o ;D :o

cilgwyn

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 14, 2011, 04:10:28 PM
Did you mean "high up in the Himalayan mountains" or-as you wrote- "thigh up in the Himalyan mountains"?

The latter conjures all kinds of strange images :o ;D :o

That's what you call a 'Freudian slip',isnt it? "Thigh up in the himalaya's..."Oh dear,what a howler! Thanks for pointing that out Dundonnell. I'm going to have to show that one to my mother!!!
I hope Scotts estate aren't reading these posts!  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

cilgwyn

I had another listen to the fourth the other night. This has to be my favourite work by Scott & I think it's marvellous,although you DO have to be in the right mood. Whether it really is a symphony,is open to debate,I suppose,but Scott's orchestration here is at it's kaleidoscopic,wondrous occult best. This symphony really is spooky. For some reason it always evokes mental images of some alien landscape,perhaps in the outer reaches of some distant planetary system. The bizarre landscapes of CS Lewis's Perelandra or Macdonald's Lilith/ Phantastes,also spring to mind. Not that I'm in any way a fan of the books,it just does!
At any rate,after I'd finished listening to Scott's Fourth,in the dark & very late at night,I felt an urge to check behind the curtains,just in case that odd looking bulging out of the dralon might be Nosferatu,waiting patiently for me to get into bed,so he could steal upstairs and drain my blood! :o :o :o :o :o :o
Thank you Cyril Scott! :o :o :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just listened twice to Scott's tone-poem 'Neptune' (courtesy of Colin). Colourful piece. I have known about Cyril Scott all my life (since I woke up intellectually, that is, in my early teens), but never took the step of actually exploring his music. Strange, of course, as I knew I would probably like it, but those things happen. So I am glad I now 'took the plunge' (to stay within the watery sphere) with 'Neptune'. Scott sounds like Bax' lost brother. And like Bax, his music is very appealing, but strangely impersonal at the same time (for me, at least). Come to think of it, I can add Bantock, too. Bax, Scott, Bantock, all write very lush and beautiful music, but lack character (that's the difference with Brian, who really puts his inimitable stamp on everything he writes). Still - I like the music a lot.
In the fourth movement of Neptune, Allegro agitato, there is a string passage (from 1'29'' onward) that is a clear premonition of RVW's Sixth Symphony, the second and final movements.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato