Cyril Scott

Started by tjguitar, May 03, 2007, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 17, 2012, 07:47:49 AM
Just listened twice to Scott's tone-poem 'Neptune' (courtesy of Colin). Colourful piece. I have known about Cyril Scott all my life (since I woke up intellectually, that is, in my early teens), but never took the step of actually exploring his music. Strange, of course, as I knew I would probably like it, but those things happen. So I am glad I now 'took the plunge' (to stay within the watery sphere) with 'Neptune'. Scott sounds like Bax' lost brother. And like Bax, his music is very appealing, but strangely impersonal at the same time (for me, at least). Come to think of it, I can add Bantock, too. Bax, Scott, Bantock, all write very lush and beautiful music, but lack character (that's the difference with Brian, who really puts his inimitable stamp on everything he writes). Still - I like the music a lot.
In the fourth movement of Neptune, Allegro agitato, there is a string passage (from 1'29'' onward) that is a clear premonition of RVW's Sixth Symphony, the second and final movements.

I am a great fan of 'Neptune' too and that 'chinese sounding' Piano Concerto No 1.  It has a dreamy, hypnotic quality to it - especially in the Ogdon/Herrmann recording on Lyrita.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Must say,I know I'm alone here (possibly),but my favourite Scott composition is his spooky & very mysterious Fourth symphony. I think it's tremendous & I couldn't understand some of the negative responses from critics. It's very sombre,but not gloomy & can be a bit scary if you listen to it just before bed! :o It always brings to mind images of strange landscapes & planets. Of course,Scott was an occultist,so it's no suprise,really.
  With respect to 'Neptune' & the 'third symphony'. I think they would be fantastic music to play at a Prom concert. Wishfull thinking,of course;but who would have ever expected the Gothic. And the First Piano Concerto really is an astonishing piece.
   The only problem with Scott,to my ears,is that he seems to have got stuck in a creative rut. As with Roy Harris,in a different kind of way,there is a lack of variety in his music,particularly his later stuff,which can become a little wearing,if you listen to too much of it in one go.  But the works mentioned here are very good and well worth hearing & I don't see why Neptune & the third symphony couldn't be popular showpieces. A change from some of the usual 'war horses',perhaps?

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am going to listen to the Third and Fourth symphonies, too. And that First Piano Concerto sounds enticing. I have deliberately not read this thread, to come to Scott's music as free and open-minded as possible...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

That might be a good way to approach Roy Harris,too;if you had only heard the third. Although,it might lead to disappointment,of course! :(

I love the Fourth! Yes,some of Scott's music does sound a bit 'samey';but at best he was a superb orchestrator! If you want to try his chamber music I would recommend the Chandos cd. But first things first,eh?!!!
The third is a bit of a cinematic blockbuster,really. The First Piano Concerto,kaleidoscopic & I think,very original,in it's own way. Although,I don't mean epoch making original,like Bartok or Stravinsky,of course!

NB:  Maybe some Madam Blavatsky (Isis Unveiled,The Secret Doctrine?) or a couple of joss sticks will help?!!! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

This is my favourite Cyril Scott CD:
[asin]B000M5B6MO[/asin]

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

vandermolen

I liked Symphony No 4 - although I found it a little rambling on first hearing - in fact I was only aware it had ended when 'Early One Morning' started, so I had probably lost concentration for a moment.  'Early One Morning' is a genuinely lovely and heart-warming  work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbXLE3r6P0

(Due to computer illiteracy I almost posted Katy Perry's 'Last Friday Night' here instead of the Cyril Scott work  :o)

cilgwyn

I'm ashamed to say I haven't got that cd,but I have heard Ogdon playing the First Piano Concerto via an off air cassette of this performance. What do you make of the Second Piano Concerto,I wonder? (Does anyone like this one?). I'll need to 'dig out' my Chandos version & listen to it again;this time using the program feature,so I can concentrate on it,a little more.

Aaagh! Not Kate Perry!!!! :o

Dundonnell

I would have thought it completely impossible to get Cyril Scott and Roy Harris into the same post :o ;D

The Scott symphonies-well, Nos. 3 and 4- I can take. There are some impressive passages -Delius on steroids ;D ;D The piano concertos are far too dreamy for my tastes :(

cilgwyn

Cyril Scott and Roy Harris in the same post (S!)........no mean feat,eh?!!!! ;D
What next? Delius and Jon Leifs? Faure and Khatchaturian?!!! ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 18, 2012, 04:51:23 AM
I'm ashamed to say I haven't got that cd,but I have heard Ogdon playing the First Piano Concerto via an off air cassette of this performance. What do you make of the Second Piano Concerto,I wonder? (Does anyone like this one?). I'll need to 'dig out' my Chandos version & listen to it again;this time using the program feature,so I can concentrate on it,a little more.

Aaagh! Not Kate Perry!!!! :o

Piano Concerto No 2 is a tougher nut to crack - but worthwhile all the same.

cilgwyn

I'll have a crack at it later! ;D I just browsed the deleted Koch cds on Amazon. Not my all time favourite label,but quite an eclectic outpouring,with some composers who are still pretty neglected & others I have never heard of! All sorts of things really!You never knew what to expect. And usually in pretty decent performances,unlike another erstwhile label,that springs to mind!  Koch,along with Unicorn,a label to miss! :( Although,I have a feeling that "Yodelling the Classics" won't be very high on my want list!!! ;D
  Hopefully their best efforts will turn up elsewhere (I see their Marek volumes are being reissued! Haven't heard his music....any good?!)

Lethevich

I am rather impressed by this composer simply for not sounding like he "should" given his time and country of residence. One symphony in particular had such a wonderful use of chorus, a bit like RVW's Flos Campi, but with more of a La mer meets Bantock effect.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

vandermolen

Quote from: Lethevich on April 18, 2012, 07:55:50 AM
I am rather impressed by this composer simply for not sounding like he "should" given his time and country of residence. One symphony in particular had such a wonderful use of chorus, a bit like RVW's Flos Campi, but with more of a La mer meets Bantock effect.

That's a very good description I think, maybe with a bit of Delius thrown into the mix.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on 18-04-2012, 14:46:38
I liked Symphony No 4 - although I found it a little rambling on first hearing - in fact I was only aware it had ended when 'Early One Morning' started, so I had probably lost concentration for a moment.  'Early One Morning' is a genuinely lovely and heart-warming  work.

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbXLE3r6P0

(Due to computer illiteracy I almost posted Katy Perry's 'Last Friday Night' here instead of the Cyril Scott work  :o )

Beautiful! Very French use of the piano.

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am listening to Piano Concerto No. 1 on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxSxeCfC_oA) Like it!

Mirror Image

I just bought all of the Brabbins recordings of Scott on Chandos. Really looking forward to diving into this composer. Scott's name has come up many times on my computer screen in the past. He's certainly an interesting composer.

vandermolen

This is an excellent disc of Scott's chamber music - love the cover image too!
[asin]B002VFCE8I[/asin]

cilgwyn

Actually,not to denigrate his orchestral output,but I do feel Cyril Scott is at his best in his chamber music. It seems more tightly constructed & it's often more outgoing in spirit. This cd is excellent. The Naxos cd of Violin Sonata's is a good follow up! I hope they do more.
  By the way Johan,what brought on this current surge of enthusiasm for Cyril Scott?! I'm intrigued!