Liszt - Années de Pèlerinage

Started by marvinbrown, May 04, 2007, 05:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marvinbrown

I did not know where to post this inquiry so I created a new topic,  I am looking for a great COMPLETE recording of Franz Liszt's Annees de Pelerinage.  I currently own small fragments of this work played by Kathryn Stott on Conifer Classics (namely: Deuxieme Annee-Italie Sonetto 47, 104 and 123) and I love them so much I want to get a complete set.  I wanted to get the Brendel set but was told this set is better, any advice would be appreciated.

marvin

George

Jando's set on naxos is supercheap and got a rosette or two from Penguin, but it failed to really wow me. I am also curious which performances our illustrious crew comes up with.

Todd

There aren't very many complete sets available (and Brendel plays only the first two "years"), but the Berman set is superb.  Jorge Bolet's incomplete recording (the first two years, plus a bit) is likewise superb, but I believe it is only available in the box of all his Decca Liszt recordings.  Nicholas Angelich has recorded a complete set for Mirare, but I've not yet heard it.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Don

Quote from: Todd on May 04, 2007, 06:01:35 AM
There aren't very many complete sets available (and Brendel plays only the first two "years"), but the Berman set is superb.  Jorge Bolet's incomplete recording (the first two years, plus a bit) is likewise superb, but I believe it is only available in the box of all his Decca Liszt recordings.  Nicholas Angelich has recorded a complete set for Mirare, but I've not yet heard it.

Berman's my favorite, and I also enjoy Ciccolini, Bolet and Jando.  On the Brendel set, Kocsis plays the 3rd year.  I also have the Angelich but haven't opened it yet.

Don

I haven't heard them, but the Centaur cycle (3 separate discs) played by Ksenia Nosikova has received some fine reviews.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Don on May 04, 2007, 06:07:13 AM
Berman's my favorite, and I also enjoy Ciccolini, Bolet and Jando.  On the Brendel set, Kocsis plays the 3rd year.  I also have the Angelich but haven't opened it yet.

Ok so the Brendel set is COMPLETE with Kocsis....I wonder why Brendel did not complete the 3rd year...hmmm....
In any event it seems at this stage that Berman is the front runner.

marvin

Michel

It depends how you like your Liszt. For example:

Bolet is distant, refined, gentle and sober.

Arrau is thoughtful, penetrating, and much darker.

What kind of approach do you prefer?

I don't know Berman, but the fact that is is a complete recording is a big plus as there aren't many about. Just go for it!

carlos

Piantale a la leche hermano, que eso arruina el corazón! (from a tango's letter)

dirkronk

You know, I don't think I've EVER listened to this entire cycle by one pianist all the way through. Of course, I've listened to individual years and/or excerpts by Berman, Bolet, Richter, Cziffra, Fiorentino...all of whom I like. In addition, much as I tend to DISlike post-1964 Arrau in most repertoire, his Liszt is an exception, and I have some items from the Annees de Pelerinage by him that I find most poetic and enormously satisfying. I'd like to hear his complete cycle (presuming he did one) to see if these snippets are the exception or the rule. Has anyone here heard it...and can you give us an evaluation?

Thanks,

Dirk

springrite

Indeed many pianists play the first two years, but not the 3rd year. The Kocsis year three is superb. In fact it is the best part of the Brendel set (if you can call it that, maybe should call it the PHILIPS SET). If you want them played by the same pianist, Berman is the obvious choice. But if it does not have to be by the same pianist, then the Brendel-Kocsis set is one to consider as well.

Personally, I prefer Bolet's first two years, for stylistic preference reasons.

George

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 04, 2007, 05:58:11 AM

marvin

I would like to know if the earlier release of this set is the same remastering?

George

Lethevich

I'm another who likes the Bolet - it's not ideal being part of a larger box, but that box is excellent (and well priced). I don't like the Berman quite as much, but can't pinpoint exactly why :S Both are excellent (can't make comparisons to others, as they are my only two) and will not disappoint whichever you choose IMHO, but I guess if you want all of them complete, Bolet isn't an option, making the Berman self-recommending :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Lethe on May 04, 2007, 08:39:03 AM
I'm another who likes the Bolet - it's not ideal being part of a larger box, but that box is excellent (and well priced). I don't like the Berman quite as much, but can't pinpoint exactly why :S Both are excellent (can't make comparisons to others, as they are my only two) and will not disappoint whichever you choose IMHO, but I guess if you want all of them complete, Bolet isn't an option, making the Berman self-recommending :)

I welcome any preference GMG members have.  I am always  open to new ideas and opinions.  Yes I would like a complete set, but if another incomplete set with stellar reviews should rear its head then by all means I am interested...no reason to have just 1 complete recording. 

marvin 

springrite

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 04, 2007, 08:54:04 AM
  I welcome any preference GMG members have.  I am always  open to new ideas and opinions.  Yes I would like a complete set, but if another incomplete set with stellar reviews should rear its head then by all means I am interested...no reason to have just 1 complete recording. 

marvin 

Now, that's the spirit!

Also, it is always better to have choices instead of decisions by default.

Steve

I'm very satisfied with the Arrau. His emotional depth and consistent technical skill really added wonders to my appreciation of this music.

Brian

I've only heard Jando's "Reading of Dante", so I can hardly testify except that his complete box is quite difficult to find.