marathon runners unite!

Started by sonic1, May 04, 2007, 06:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic1

In June I am running the Anchorage marathon. I started training a month or so ago. It has been a while since I have even been running at all, but I am generally in pretty good shape and I started off running 8 mile runs in Sabino Canyon. My weekend runs have gotten up to 18-mile runs, and a whole lot of short runs throughout the week. I am averaging about 50 miles a week so far.

I am taking a trip for some weeks next weekend driving up to Anchorage Alaska, surfing the way up. I am hoping it won't interrupt my schedule too much, but my girlfriend is coming with me, and she is pretty motivated too (she is also running the race). We should keep up the schedule, but it might be difficult to get in those long runs while on the road. We shall see.

Any running freaks out there?

jared

rubio

I would not consider myself a running freak, but I do run quite a bit during the week. Usually I run 10 km. Marathon is not for me. I have tried 1/2 marathon one time and I think 21 km is as long as I can run (without too much pain in my feet). I have participated in some 10 km runs, and generally I like to run distances like 3 km, 5 km and 10 km. I need some speed  :). I do like to include some interval training in my running sessions.

I also got problems with "runners knee"  :'( a couple of years ago, so now I have to vary with some bicycling, football and skiing. But I do really like the easiness of just putting on the shoes and go out running. And it's nice to combine with listening to my Ipod!  :)
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Harry

springrite

Not a running freak by any means, mostly because since I was a child I was told that I should not run because of problems with my knees and other joints, including the spine. So for the most part I did not run.

But in 1987, I decided I was going to run a marathon. I could not train because the running would kill my joint, so I just showed up to do it as a one time thing. I did finish, in more than 5 hours. It was my proudest moment. I sent a photo of me crossing the finish line to my mom, and asked her to tell the doctors who said I may not even be able to walk by the time I become an adult.

sonic1

Quote from: springrite on May 05, 2007, 09:24:45 AM
Not a running freak by any means, mostly because since I was a child I was told that I should not run because of problems with my knees and other joints, including the spine. So for the most part I did not run.

But in 1987, I decided I was going to run a marathon. I could not train because the running would kill my joint, so I just showed up to do it as a one time thing. I did finish, in more than 5 hours. It was my proudest moment. I sent a photo of me crossing the finish line to my mom, and asked her to tell the doctors who said I may not even be able to walk by the time I become an adult.

Awesome!

sonic1

I was beginning to think there were no runners here for a moment.

I had a very difficult run today: 18 miles, but I stopped a few times due to a very sore illiotibial band and gastrocnemius. I'll get over it.

Steve

Quote from: sonic1 on May 05, 2007, 03:03:32 PM
I was beginning to think there were no runners here for a moment.

I had a very difficult run today: 18 miles, but I stopped a few times due to a very sore illiotibial band and gastrocnemius. I'll get over it.

I've been running for quite a few years after my shoulder prevented me from Swimming my usual events. It started as simply a cardiovascular alternative, and has slowly developed into a bit of a passion. Fine weather is finally dawning on the folks in Chicago, so I'll be running outdoors again soon. While I've never accomplished anything approaching marathon distance, I generally follow this fantastic program that our old high-school cross country coach put together. In the summer, I really try to keep up a 10-15 mile schedule, with breaks on off-days for cross training. The longest run I ever put together was about 12 miles last summer. That was really an outlier, as I generally avoid really long distances.

I admire your stamina! Hopefully, someday I'll put together a marathon run. In the meantime, I'll keep to my trail runs.  :)