Kenneth Leighton(1929-1988)

Started by Dundonnell, April 30, 2008, 04:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for the info! And I remember another work for string orchestra and harpsichord (?) which I'll seek out.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2008, 02:21:56 AM
This thread encouraged me to listen to my Chandos CD of Leighton's Third Symphony, "Laudes Musicae" last night. It is a haunting and quite beautiful work. I found it very poignant as Leighton died in his late 50s not that long after composing this work.  It's message of music as a celebration of life, all the more moving in the circumstance.

I am delighted that you listened to this fine work again, Jeffrey. I am excited at the prospect of hearing the Chandos release of the Symphony No.2 'Sinfonia Mistica' in due course. In 'Choral Music in the Twentieth Century"(Nick Strimple) it is described as an "intriguing collection of texts by various British mystics with an American revivalist text 'Shall We Gather by the River' thrown in for good measure in a sustained and bitonal texture". You will remember that famous song from Copland's collection of Old American Songs! The Chester Novello site names the mystical poets as Donne, Traherne, Herbert and King, quotes the work as 46 minutes long and scored for soprano, baritone, chorus and large orchestra.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on May 08, 2008, 02:45:52 AM
Thanks for the info! And I remember another work for string orchestra and harpsichord (?) which I'll seek out.
I think that you must be thinking of the Suite 'Veris Gratia' for oboe, cello and strings which Chandos recorded many years ago. I don't know of any other orchestral Leighton on disc.

In response to Sean's comment above(sorry I can't work out how to insert quotes from different posts in a single reply-yes, I am stupid, I know!)
Leighton is a more 'spiritual' composer than Fricker in my opinion. I admire Fricker immensely and regard him as probably THE most shockingly ignored British composer of his time but he is a more difficult composer, I think, to come to terms with than Leighton and can be somewhat drier and more 'academic'. Fricker's 2nd Symphony is available on an EMI reissue with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic(Sir John Pritchard) but I am more impressed by his powerful 1st Symphony on the very old Louisville LP(sadly never transferred to CD!). I used to have the 3rd, 4th and 5th symphonies on tape but I can no longer play them :'(

The comparison with Anthony Milner is a good one however. I have no idea how conventionally religious Leighton was(Milner was a devout Catholic) but the same spirituality is in evidence in both composers-although Leighton is again 'easier'. Leighton was, clearly, influenced by Rubbra's music as well as by the continental composers I noted earlier.

I do hope that those who invest in the new Chandos CD will be as impressed as I am!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 08, 2008, 05:39:37 AM
I think that you must be thinking of the Suite 'Veris Gratia' for oboe, cello and strings which Chandos recorded many years ago. I don't know of any other orchestral Leighton on disc.

I response to Sean's comment above(sorry I can't work out how to insert quotes from different posts in a single reply-yes, I am stupid, I know!)

'Veris Gratia', yes, that must be it.

When you're composing a message in reply to someone's post, simply scroll down, and you can see other postings that have been made. Click on 'Insert Quote' below e.g.  'Posted on: Today 12:45:52' and hey presto!

Quote from: Jezetha on May 08, 2008, 02:45:52 AM
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on May 08, 2008, 05:47:09 AM
'Veris Gratia', yes, that must be it.

When you're composing a message in reply to someone's post, simply scroll down, and you can see other postings that have been made. Click on 'Insert Quote' below e.g.  'Posted on: Today 12:45:52' and hey presto!

Grateful thanks, Johan!! I never thought of scrolling down. It just proves that one should always ask a question if one doesn't know the answer. You wouldn't think that I was a school teacher for 37 years, would you :) Isn't technology wonderful! One learns something new everyday!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 08, 2008, 06:22:58 AM
Grateful thanks, Johan!! I never thought of scrolling down. It just proves that one should always ask a question if one doesn't know the answer. You wouldn't think that I was a school teacher for 37 years, would you :) Isn't technology wonderful! One learns something new everyday!

My wife is a teacher. I have difficulty teaching her anything...  ;)

Harry

Quote from: Jezetha on May 08, 2008, 06:50:02 AM
My wife is a teacher. I have difficulty teaching her anything...  ;)

Ach, that explains a lot Johan.... ;D

Guido

Quote from: Sean on May 08, 2008, 02:45:07 AM
I know only the Third symphony and Cello concerto, both of which indicate I think that Leighton's voice is a small one, but in the vein of subtle and very interesting mid century English composers, perhaps variously like Fricker, Bush, Butterworth, Milner, Gilbert, Dickinson, McCabe or Horovitz.

When the Elegy was mentioned below, I must admit I thought you might be talking about the fine Howells piece (for viola, string quartet and string orch).

Not at all Sean - He's quite a formiddable composer - the cello concerto is an early work, and not reperesentative of his later style. The later chamber music and piano pieces are quite magical in places, though I am ashamed to say that I haven't listened to them enough to really get to know them well.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Sean

Hi Dundonnell

QuoteLeighton is a more 'spiritual' composer than Fricker in my opinion.

Yes I know- I had the Fricker First symphony (borrowed it and can't remember the performers) and like you I'd put him closer to the likes of Simpson(?) and the somewhat more central European sound and structures, less concerned with beauty perhaps; also got hold of a choral piece called A babe is born. By Milner I had the Variations for orchestra and again a choral piece called The Harrowing of hell: well crafted music with a slightly softer English edge. Similar to Alwyn...?

(By the way the best way to do quotes that I know of is to highlight the section you want then click the icon above that looks like a yellow speech bubble with lines on it, second from the right on the bottom row. I usually get rid of the automatic tags. Also putting a name in bold helps catch attention!)

Sean

Okay Guido, I didn't know about the Cello conc.

Guido

The good thing about the tags though is that you can read the quoted post in context.
Geologist.

vandermolen

I don't even know how to insert a photo (ie CD cover) into my posts and I've been a teacher for 30 years ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2008, 11:13:45 PM
I don't even know how to insert a photo (ie CD cover) into my posts and I've been a teacher for 30 years ;D

Ah...a friend showed me how to do that! Scan the cover of the CD as if it were a photo' and save it on your system. Then click 'Additional Options' below the message box in which you are typing your message. In the box marked 'Browse' add the saved CD cover from wherever it has been saved on your machine and when you click 'Post' it will appear with your post.
Quote from: Sean on May 08, 2008, 03:17:52 PM
Hi Dundonnell

Yes I know- I had the Fricker First symphony (borrowed it and can't remember the performers) and like you I'd put him closer to the likes of Simpson(?) and the somewhat more central European sound and structures, less concerned with beauty perhaps; also got hold of a choral piece called A babe is born. By Milner I had the Variations for orchestra and again a choral piece called The Harrowing of hell: well crafted music with a slightly softer English edge. Similar to Alwyn...?

(By the way the best way to do quotes that I know of is to highlight the section you want then click the icon above that looks like a yellow speech bubble with lines on it, second from the right on the bottom row. I usually get rid of the automatic tags. Also putting a name in bold helps catch attention!)

The Fricker 1st was performed by the Louisville Orchestra conducted by Robert Whitney on the old LP.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 09, 2008, 02:06:39 AM
Scan the cover of the CD as if it were a photo' and save it on your system. Then click 'Additional Options' below the message box in which you are typing your message. In the box marked 'Browse' add the saved CD cover from wherever it has been saved on your machine and when you click 'Post' it will appear with your post.

Thanks Colin, although it still sounds quite technical to me :o

Reminds me of the time when I drove into a garage, off a motorway with an overheating car, and a mechanic told me to "whip out the thermostat" ???
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on May 09, 2008, 11:35:17 AM
Thanks Colin, although it still sounds quite technical to me :o

Reminds me of the time when I drove into a garage, off a motorway with an overheating car, and a mechanic told me to "whip out the thermostat" ???

Oh, it isn't really Jeffrey! If I can manage it anyone can-I am hopelessly unpractical, I promise you :) The only problem might be the scanning of the cover if you are not familiar with scanning a document or photo. I am sure that someone at the school could help.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 09, 2008, 03:55:05 PM
Oh, it isn't really Jeffrey! If I can manage it anyone can-I am hopelessly unpractical, I promise you :) The only problem might be the scanning of the cover if you are not familiar with scanning a document or photo. I am sure that someone at the school could help.

:)

tjguitar

I see a follow-up album to the one referenced in the first post is coming soon! (November 18 in US)

I wonder if this is out there in the UK already? I'm gonna check musicweb for any possible reviews...

Dundonnell

Released on Monday in the UK, I understand. I have it on order and am really looking forward to hearing the two works :) :)

Christo

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 25, 2008, 12:48:47 PM
Released on Monday in the UK, I understand. I have it on order and am really looking forward to hearing the two works :) :)

Me too! My own experience with Leighton's music is very much likt that of many here: in a long distant past I heard and admired his early Veris Gratia Suite, reminding me somewhat of the oriental mysticism of Vaughan Williams' Flos Campi, and later I bought the Chandos release of his Third Symphony. Of course I was always aware of his potential, but little music became available. But I recall I included him in our forthcoming book biblical references in modern art.

Now: I really look forward to the Second Symphony `Sinfonia Mistica', especially.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Guido

I've just ordered the Chandos string orchestra disc - am greatly looking forward to it.

I've probably already said this on this forum, but Du Pre played Veris Gratia with Finzi's Newbury String players (though after Finzi's (death of course). The conductor was Finzi's son with whom Du Pre later had an affair.
Geologist.