Dvorak Piano Trios

Started by James, April 30, 2008, 09:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: DavidW on January 23, 2021, 10:32:40 AM
The Suk Trio is my favorite.  I've heard the Beaux Arts Trio before and recall liking them but it has been a very long time.  I usually listen to the Suk Trio.

It looks like my younger self corrected me.  I always listen to the Guarneri Trio Prague.  It is in the chamber music II big supraphon box set.  When I saw the Supraphon recording in Dave's post I just assumed it was the same one without checking.  Oops.

SonicMan46

Quote from: amw on January 23, 2021, 01:19:26 PM
Along with the Suk Trio I can recommend the Trio Fontenay set, although it may not be readily available anymore. There is also a newish set with Irnberger, Geringas and Korstick that repays listening.

For a more recent recording (from 2011), I can again recommend the 2-disc set from the Gould Piano Trio - several reviews are attached; the one from MusicWeb uses the BAT recordings for comparison; also available on Spotify for those interested and having access.  Dave :)

Brian

Like DavidW, I always listened to Guarnieri Trio Prague. I do love the individual 'Dumky' trio by Faust, Queyras, and Melnikov, the totally crazy 'Dumky' trio by the Tetzlaffs and Vogt (which freely improvises all sorts of dynamic markings and expressive changes, but thankfully does not improvise any notes), and the Trio Solisti in Nos. 3 and 4, who are very big and rich and romantic in their sound.

Que

I should investigate Queyras/Faust/Melnikov...  :)

Q

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 23, 2021, 08:13:12 AM
TTT!  :laugh:  No discussion of Dvorak's Piano Trios since 2012 - what's new (or still old and good)?

NOW, this is only a discussion of 2-disc complete Dvorak Piano Trios; just too many one disc offerings or mixed composer combos on the market.

Some of the older or 'historic' offerings are shown in the top 3 pics - the Suk recordings seemed to be favored in this thread.  For myself, I own just 2 sets (first ones in the middle row of images, i.e. Golub-Kaplan-Carr & the Gould Trio - I listened to both yesterday and prefer the Gould performances; at the moment, I'm listening to the Grieg Trio performances on Spotify and really enjoying, could be a replacement purchase for me.

At the bottom are just 3 other 'complete' sets I could find on Amazon (more likely exist) - SO, of 'complete sets' of these trio works, what are some of your favorites - plus, any other recommendations not shown below (remember just 2-disc Dvorak sets - I'm sure there are plenty of combo composer recordings to recommend).  Dave :)

I have and love the Suk Trio one!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

milk