Frank Bridge

Started by tjguitar, May 04, 2007, 05:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

The quartets (and indeed Bridge's chamber work more generally) are on my "to do" list. I certainly noted that they included a couple of late works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Reckoner

Quote from: ørfeo on October 18, 2016, 01:39:04 AM
The quartets (and indeed Bridge's chamber work more generally) are on my "to do" list.

I've been really impressed with the Piano Trio No. 2 lately, and its mesmeric sound world.

Turbot nouveaux

Quote from: ørfeo on October 18, 2016, 01:39:04 AM
The quartets (and indeed Bridge's chamber work more generally) are on my "to do" list. I certainly noted that they included a couple of late works.

As Reckoner says, the 2nd piano trio is a work of considerable interest, and so is the very turbulent and unsettling 1932 Sonata for violin and piano - there's a magnificent recorded version by members of the Nash ensemble on a disc which should be of some interest (Cello sonata, Phantasie piano quartet, An Irish Melody: The Londonderry Air, Cherry Ripe and Sally in our Alley, all for string quartet. Though perhaps the definitive Cello sonata recording is the Decca Rostropovitch / Britten disc.)

Of his other late chamber works, I've never been able to track down a recording of either his 1928 Rhapsody Trio    for 2 violins and viola (though I think at least one exists), or the 1934 Four Divertimenti for flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon. Sadly the intended Viola sonata consists of a few sketches only, so we'll never hear the work he might have composed for his own chamber instrument.

cilgwyn

I've been playing this cd. I haven't listened to it for a while. I was thinking that the old Lp version,I used to play,had better artwork,so I looked it up! yes,much better! :) I sometimes think I'd play the cd more if they had used this instead......or even another attractive painting!. Silly of me,I know!! ::)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 13, 2017, 02:50:42 AM
I've been playing this cd. I haven't listened to it for a while. I was thinking that the old Lp version,I used to play,had better artwork,so I looked it up! yes,much better! :) I sometimes think I'd play the cd more if they had used this instead......or even another attractive painting!. Silly of me,I know!! ::)

Not silly of you - I often have the same opinion (well, maybe we are both silly!)  8)

If you buy the Charles Groves boxed set you get a mini version of the original LP sleeve with the original art work on. Coincidentally I've been listening to Vernon Handley's recording of 'The Sea' on Chandos ( with works by Bax, Britten and Stanford). I hadn't realised that it was so good - my favourite version and I have at least four other versions - especially moving in the slow movement. The original CD release is now prohibitively expensive (not on Amazon US). The reissue on Chandos has the additional Stanford work - the best I think of his Irish Rhapsodies but has a less interesting seascape cover art.
[asin]B00T8RIN82[/asin]
Original issue:
[asin]B000000AEQ[/asin]
Reissue:
[asin]B000LC4WUQ[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

To my complete surprise, one of things I've enjoyed as I'm working through Bridge's music chronologically is his work for organ.

I'm not at all fan of organ music in general, but so far I've tried 6 pieces from this album via streaming (2 blocks of 3 pieces, all from 1905) and liked them quite a lot.

[asin]B0000263K1[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Maestro267

I know this is the wrong thread, but man, the Britten Sea Interludes are the filler on so many discs!

vandermolen

Quote from: ørfeo on September 28, 2017, 05:42:05 AM
To my complete surprise, one of things I've enjoyed as I'm working through Bridge's music chronologically is his work for organ.

I'm not at all fan of organ music in general, but so far I've tried 6 pieces from this album via streaming (2 blocks of 3 pieces, all from 1905) and liked them quite a lot.

[asin]B0000263K1[/asin]
That's a very nice CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Turbot nouveaux

^^^ I didn't know that disc existed - I've not bought any of Bridge's organ works because all I've been able to find are discs with one or two pieces in a compilation. This looks interesting.

kyjo

I'm not usually too keen on solo piano music, but Bridge's Piano Sonata is an outright masterpiece which is desperately haunting and tragic. His Cello Sonata and "Phantasm" are also marvelous, powerful works. This thread reminds me that I need to explore more of Bridge's output because everything I've heard by him so far has impressed me deeply.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 28, 2017, 01:29:30 PM
I'm not usually too keen on solo piano music, but Bridge's Piano Sonata is an outright masterpiece which is desperately haunting and tragic. His Cello Sonata and "Phantasm" are also marvelous, powerful works. This thread reminds me that I need to explore more of Bridge's output because everything I've heard by him so far has impressed me deeply.
Do you know 'Oration' Kyle? A tragic cello concerto and a tribute to the fallen in the First World War. Bridge was a pacifist. Oration has the most beautiful, redemptive epilogue, apparently an afterthought.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 28, 2017, 01:51:26 PM
Do you know 'Oration' Kyle? A tragic cello concerto and a tribute to the fallen in the First World War. Bridge was a pacifist. Oration has the most beautiful, redemptive epilogue, apparently an afterthought.

Embarrassingly, I don't :-[ I'll make it a point to listen to it later tonight!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 28, 2017, 07:07:38 PM
Embarrassingly, I don't :-[ I'll make it a point to listen to it later tonight!
Let us know what you think.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on September 28, 2017, 09:34:42 PM
Let us know what you think.

Just finished listening. Why this piece isn't part of the standard cello repertoire is beyond me! Great stuff. I definitely agree with you about the ending - very moving, reminding me a bit of the similarly redemptive ending of Honegger's Third Symphony (Liturgique).

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on September 28, 2017, 10:02:43 PM
Just finished listening. Why this piece isn't part of the standard cello repertoire is beyond me! Great stuff. I definitely agree with you about the ending - very moving, reminding me a bit of the similarly redemptive ending of Honegger's Third Symphony (Liturgique).
Delighted that you enjoyed it Kyle and I think that you are quite right about the Honegger 'Liturgique' connection. Both are turbulent works with movingly redemptive endings. The Epilogue in 'Oration' always make me think of a star shining over a war-blasted desolate landscape.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 28, 2017, 01:51:26 PM

I just bought the Julian Lloyd-Webber recording of Oration on Lyrita. Rather looking forward to hearing it. I'm still not a huge fan of Bridge's music, but something tells me I should keep trying.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2017, 07:31:07 AM
I just bought the Julian Lloyd-Webber recording of Oration on Lyrita. Rather looking forward to hearing it. I'm still not a huge fan of Bridge's music, but something tells me I should keep trying.

You should keep trying :) I'm sure you'll enjoy that disc - the accompanying Phantasm is marvelous as well.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on September 29, 2017, 07:33:07 AM
You should keep trying :) I'm sure you'll enjoy that disc - the accompanying Phantasm is marvelous as well.

Excellent to hear, Kyle. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 29, 2017, 07:31:07 AM
That's the best version John (I have them all!  ::)) - a superb disc in every way. Hope you get to enjoy it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 29, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
That's the best version John (I have them all!  ::)) - a superb disc in every way. Hope you get to enjoy it.

Thanks, Jeffrey. I also bought three Bridge chamber discs on Hyperion. Really looking forward to hearing this music as I remember reading that Bridge's chamber music was the strongest part of his oeuvre. Would you agree with this opinion?