Frank Bridge

Started by tjguitar, May 04, 2007, 05:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Bridge isn't a favorite composer I can consider as such. So far, some works I really like are Enter Spring, The Sea, Phantasm, Dance Rhapsody, and Norse Legend. Oration didn't grab me (although I'd need to listen to it more). I'm still exploring his music, especially the chamber works.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 01, 2017, 01:37:03 PM
Bridge isn't a favorite composer I can consider as such. So far, some works I really like are Enter Spring, The Sea, Phantasm, Dance Rhapsody, and Norse Legend. Oration didn't grab me (although I'd need to listen to it more). I'm still exploring his music, especially the chamber works.
You might like the Cello Sonata Caesar - a great work in my opinion.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on October 01, 2017, 09:10:03 PM
You might like the Cello Sonata Caesar - a great work in my opinion.

I'll keep in mind your recommendation. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mirror Image

SymphonicAddict

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 02, 2017, 08:42:43 PM
Thanks for the link! I'm gonna play it right now.

Excellent. Let me know what you think of the work and the performance. Personally, I found it quite alluring. The performance itself was top-notch.

SymphonicAddict

First of all, being the first time I hear it, I consider the interpretation completely remarkable. The performance did justice to the sonata. Very well played. Overall, the work is not properly so impressive. I found it poetic, deep, permeated with an elegiac mood, very intimate indeed. Those features are properly represented.

To conclude, the sonata was worth to listen but not immediately engaging. I think it requires more listens to discover its secrets.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 02, 2017, 09:21:15 PM
First of all, being the first time I hear it, I consider the interpretation completely remarkable. The performance did justice to the sonata. Very well played. Overall, the work is not properly so impressive. I found it poetic, deep, permeated with an elegiac mood, very intimate indeed. Those features are properly represented.

To conclude, the sonata was worth to listen but not immediately engaging. I think it requires more listens to discover its secrets.

Not everything can be immediately engaging right out of the gate of course, but I'm glad you realize that it's going to take more than one listen to 'get' this work.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 03, 2017, 05:46:07 AM
Not everything can be immediately engaging right out of the gate of course, but I'm glad you realize that it's going to take more than one listen to 'get' this work.

It's true.

I'm seeing that I'll need several listens of other works by him. Bridge is not an 'easy composer'.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 03, 2017, 03:40:35 PM
It's true.

I'm seeing that I'll need several listens of other works by him. Bridge is not an 'easy composer'.
Although works like 'Enter Spring' and 'The Sea' do have a more immediate appeal. People usually differentiate between 'early' and 'late' Bridge although Enter Spring is a late work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Omicron9

Greetings.

Searching for the complete cello (chamber) works of Frank Bridge has unearthed only one recording:

[asin]B00005OB1H[/asin]

Might anyone know of others?  And is it just me, or is that a rather unfortunate album cover design?

TIA,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

schnittkease

As for the OP, this (early chamber music) is a good disc, though I am not sure of the significance of these works; here is another worth your time.

Bridge's chamber music as a whole is likely too vast to be covered in a single release. I would focus on the string quartets and sonatas.

vandermolen

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 05, 2017, 06:42:11 AM
Greetings.

Searching for the complete cello (chamber) works of Frank Bridge has unearthed only one recording:

[asin]B00005OB1H[/asin]

Might anyone know of others?  And is it just me, or is that a rather unfortunate album cover design?

TIA,
I like that CD very much. I hadn't thought about the cover being 'unfortunate' but I think I see what you mean.  ???

Omicron9

Quote from: schnittkease on October 05, 2017, 02:53:40 PM
As for the OP, this (early chamber music) is a good disc, though I am not sure of the significance of these works; here is another worth your time.

Bridge's chamber music as a whole is likely too vast to be covered in a single release. I would focus on the string quartets and sonatas.

Thanks; I appreciate that.  I do have some of his other works, but had been listening to one of the cello pieces on YT, and it made me want to investigate his cello chamber works.  I did order the CD in my original post; looking forward to it and more Bridge chamber works.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

tjguitar

Quote from: Omicron9 on October 05, 2017, 06:42:11 AM
Greetings.

[asin]B00005OB1H[/asin]

TIA,

I'm glad someone mentioned this as I am a fan of cello music in general. I'm a subscriber to "Amazon Music Unlimited" which is $80/year to stream a whole bunch of different music, and this disc was included. I'll check it out within the next few days. I haven't listened to Bridge in a while. I recall not being all that enamored with Oration....I should probably give it another listen.

Moonfish

Just stumbled across Frank Bridge's Three Idylls. I was actually listening to Elgar's String Quartet, but the disc included Bridge's work as well as Walton's String Quartet (this latter work was wonderful as well).  I sense that there are some British composers I need to become more familiar with. Three Idylls was a soft lamentation that simply touched me and I'm embarrassed to say that this was the very first work by Frank Bridge that I have ever heard. Beautiful!!!!!

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

I've read through the thread (thanks everybody for suggesting works  :)) and it seems like there is one camp that prefers his orchestral works while another favors the chamber works.  Needless to say the listening experience of Three Idylls makes me lean towards the chamber works. Still, I am picking up Hickox's collection of orchestral works like many others on this thread so I can follow a similar path of exploration.  I think I will dig into my collection as I have a feeling of that some of Bridge's works are "fillers" on some of the discs devoted to British music.

[asin] B0085AXSE2[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Baron Scarpia

Choral works are not my thing. I agree the chamber works are great and also ended up acquiring this set with the idea of exploring the orchestral music.

Moonfish

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 21, 2018, 11:13:57 AM
Choral works are not my thing. I agree the chamber works are great and also ended up acquiring this set with the idea of exploring the orchestral music.

Have you been enjoying them (the non-choral ones  ;)) ?
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Is the Maggini Quartet a good gateway for exploring Bridge's main chamber works?

[asin] B0000BX5K4[/asin][asin] B0007ORDV8[/asin][asin] B0000014AD[/asin]
Anna Lappé