Frank Bridge

Started by tjguitar, May 04, 2007, 05:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Quote from: schweitzeralan on April 23, 2009, 02:32:02 PM
Phantsm is a wonderful work.

It is indeed! When it comes to my favorite Bridge work, I waver between Oration and Phantasm. They are both great!

BTW, the first Bridge work that attracted me was the Fantasy Trio. As it turns out, that was one of Bridge's earlier works, more conventional in nature designed to win the competition and earn himself the award money. It gave little indication of what was to come.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on April 23, 2009, 04:01:35 PM
It is indeed! When it comes to my favorite Bridge work, I waver between Oration and Phantasm. They are both great!

BTW, the first Bridge work that attracted me was the Fantasy Trio. As it turns out, that was one of Bridge's earlier works, more conventional in nature designed to win the competition and earn himself the award money. It gave little indication of what was to come.

Oration and Phantasm can be found together on this excellent CD:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Guido

Quote from: vandermolen on April 24, 2009, 02:26:58 AM
Oration and Phantasm can be found together on this excellent CD:

Does anyone else think that that Art Nouveau design is peculiarly apt for Bridge's music? (Peculiar because it's the wrong time and wrong country...)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2007, 11:36:03 AM
"Oration" is a haunting lament for the fallen of World War One (including friends of the composer), it contains a most beautifully consoling epilogue (apparently an afterthought), which, for me, is one of the great moments in all music.

I heard that one live here in Sanders Theatre; it is a magnificent piece.

secondwind

I was listening yesterday to a Chandos disc with some of Bridge's orchestral works (Vol. 5), including the Suite for Strings, Two Intermezzi from 'Threads', and a charming Valse Intermezzo.  It also had some songs accompanied by orchestra, including my favorite, The Hag, which I played at full volume for my husband apropos of a troublesome colleague of his. >:D  I was reminded of how much I have liked the little bit of Bridge's music that I've heard.  After reading some of the posts on this thread, I think I'll need to get my hands on a recording of Oration next--maybe the EMI version referenced by vandermolen since I'm partial to Steven Isserlis.

snyprrr

Are either SQ No.1 or No.2 anywhere near a country masterpiece? meaning, Pastoralismo.

vandermolen

Quote from: secondwind on July 16, 2009, 07:00:25 PM
I was listening yesterday to a Chandos disc with some of Bridge's orchestral works (Vol. 5), including the Suite for Strings, Two Intermezzi from 'Threads', and a charming Valse Intermezzo.  It also had some songs accompanied by orchestra, including my favorite, The Hag, which I played at full volume for my husband apropos of a troublesome colleague of his. >:D  I was reminded of how much I have liked the little bit of Bridge's music that I've heard.  After reading some of the posts on this thread, I think I'll need to get my hands on a recording of Oration next--maybe the EMI version referenced by vandermolen since I'm partial to Steven Isserlis.

Yes, you should enjoy the Isserlis version of Oration.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Scarpia

Just listened to some chamber music of Frank Bridge

I see it has already been mentioned on this thread.  Superb music and a great performance.

Lethevich

Quote from: Scarpia on November 28, 2009, 07:08:12 PM

I see it has already been mentioned on this thread.  Superb music and a great performance.
Welcome back, and glad you took the plunge with Bridge (even if not with Langgaard :P)!
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on November 28, 2009, 07:08:12 PM

This is a very good CD. I like Bridge more and more.

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe on November 29, 2009, 12:53:28 AM
Welcome back, and glad you took the plunge with Bridge (even if not with Langgaard :P)!

Thanks.  It always shocks me when someone shows evidence of having remembered something I've rashly posted on this forum.   ;D

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2009, 02:59:27 AM
This is a very good CD. I like Bridge more and more.

Finished some repeated listenings to the Hyperion/Helios set.  If anything, I like the later more modern piece best, but there is a strange engineering issue with this set.  Typical piano trio recordings have the piano at center, violin at left and cello at right stage.  For the first 7 tracks on the disc (the two phantasy trios and the first movement of the Trio number 2) there is an atypical sound stage with violin and cello both far right and piano left-center.  Starting with the second movement of the Trio number two, it abruptly switches to the more satisfactory, traditional scheme, with the violin at stage left.  It is a bit disorienting, and reduces the impact of the first two pieces.  A very odd choice.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on December 20, 2009, 09:48:40 AM
Finished some repeated listenings to the Hyperion/Helios set.  If anything, I like the later more modern piece best, but there is a strange engineering issue with this set.  Typical piano trio recordings have the piano at center, violin at left and cello at right stage.  For the first 7 tracks on the disc (the two phantasy trios and the first movement of the Trio number 2) there is an atypical sound stage with violin and cello both far right and piano left-center.  Starting with the second movement of the Trio number two, it abruptly switches to the more satisfactory, traditional scheme, with the violin at stage left.  It is a bit disorienting, and reduces the impact of the first two pieces.  A very odd choice.

I'm sure you're right but I am insufficiently a musician to notice  :(

Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2009, 10:50:41 AM
I'm sure you're right but I am insufficiently a musician to notice  :(

Try listening to track 7, violin is on the right, track 8-9, violin on the left.

vandermolen

Quote from: Scarpia on December 20, 2009, 01:49:58 PM
Try listening to track 7, violin is on the right, track 8-9, violin on the left.

Thanks, will do.

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on July 16, 2009, 08:42:48 PM
Are either SQ No.1 or No.2 anywhere near a country masterpiece? meaning, Pastoralismo.

Any thoughts on SQs 1-2? They're both in the minor. I've never heard them, and I've imagined one of them could be super, so, what do you all think? I've only heard No.3 (Endellion), vague memories (I know it's totally different).

The Cello Sonata!

That Hyperion Piano Trio No.2 is something. I think the disconcerting sound balance works great in the first mvmt, and then, poom! It's one of my oldest cds. Consider, the Piano Trio wasn't really cultivated by many of the Bartok-Prokofiev-Hindemith Generation. Bridge No.2 is the Greatest Romantic Trio! :o...

why not?

schweitzeralan

Quote from: SonicMan on April 23, 2009, 12:52:06 PM
Thanks for reactivating this post - I would like to join the thread to supplement my meager collection of Bridge's works; just have five discs, and this afternoon listened to the chamber recordings shown below (a post made earlier to the 'listening thread') - excellent!  Now have the EMI disc playing of some of the orchestral pieces (The Sea, Summer, etc.), which was also discussed; but, I do not own, the Oration, so will also put that one on my 'want list' -  :D

Bridge, Frank (1879-1941) - stimulated by the 'new' thread on this composer, I decided to listen to the handful of CDs in my collection - think that I need more!  :D

String Sextet & Quintet w/ the Raphael Ensemble - love this group, and excellent in this repertoire!

Piano Trio No. 1 & 2; Piano Quartet w/ the Dartington Piano Trio + Patrick Ireland - listening to this disc @ the moment -  :)

I realize that there have been several postings on the music of bridge.  I simply wanted to reffirm on the forum my continuing interest in this remarkable composer.  I just listen ed to "Phantasms."  Wonderful work which evinces the composer's debt to early 20th century Modernism, plus rhythmic restraint with tyhpical "Bridgean" color and nuance.  Dramatic work with impressionist suggestions. Recommended as always.

Mirror Image

I think Bridge is a neglected composer without a doubt in my mind. His claim to fame seems to be he was the teacher of Benjamin Britten who was a champion of his music and, in fact, composed a work in honor of him Variations On Theme By Frank Bridge, but a deeper look into Bridge's music reveals a remarkable composer who knew how to bridge (no pun intended) several different styles and influences into a cohesive whole.

I just bought the entire Bridge series on Chandos with Hickox and me being such a sucker for Hickox's conducting, I couldn't let this pass under my radar any longer.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2011, 05:22:17 PM
I think Bridge is a neglected composer without a doubt in my mind. His claim to fame seems to be his was the teacher of Benjamin Britten whom was a champion of his music . . . .

I know: I should take it to the Grammar Grumble ; )

. . . but you want who here.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 06, 2011, 05:22:17 PM
I think Bridge is a neglected composer without a doubt in my mind. His claim to fame seems to be his was the teacher of Benjamin Britten whom was a champion of his music and, in fact, composed a work in honor of him Variations On Theme By Frank Bridge, but a deeper look into Bridge's music reveals a remarkable composer who knew how to bridge (no pun intended) several different styles and influences into a cohesive whole.

I just bought the entire Bridge series on Chandos with Hickox and me being such a sucker for Hickox's conducting, I couldn't let this pass under my radar any longer.
It's important to stock up when you plan to take a hiatus.