What "German-speaking" composer's music are you listening to?

Started by ChamberNut, May 05, 2008, 04:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 07, 2008, 03:43:15 AM
Mahler

Symphony No. 6 in A minor

London Philharmonic Orchestra
Klaus Tennstedt

Wow, this was great!  Mahler is clicking for me more and more.  :)

ChamberNut

Mozart

String Quartet No. 15 in D minor, K.421
String Quartet No. 16 in E flat major, K.428
String Quartet No. 20 iin D major, K.499

Alban Berg Quartet
Teldec

Opus106

Quote from: Grazioso on May 07, 2008, 04:13:10 AM
Not a whole lot of late, with one notable exception being Jochum's EMI Bruckner 8. Interesting how fleet he seems compared to other major Bruckner composers who focus more on the monumental, spiritual aspects of the work.

Interesting, indeed. How many Bruckner composers are there?  :D  $:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Harry

Robert Schumann.

Symphonische Etuden opus 13.
Funf Variationen, opus 13.
Nachtstucke opus 23.
Skiizzen fur den Pedalflugel, opus 58. 

Lethevich

Quote from: Grazioso on May 07, 2008, 04:13:10 AM
Not a whole lot of late, with one notable exception being Jochum's EMI Bruckner 8. Interesting how fleet he seems compared to other major Bruckner composers who focus more on the monumental, spiritual aspects of the work.

I think it was O Mensch who said that Jochum plays up the Beethovenian aspects of Bruckner, to the extent of adding "exciting" dynamic changes where they are not called for, and generally playing up the struggle in the music. It sounds very good though :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Lethe on May 07, 2008, 07:20:21 AM
I think it was O Mensch who said that Jochum plays up the Beethovenian aspects of Bruckner, to the extent of adding "exciting" dynamic changes where they are not called for, and generally playing up the struggle in the music. It sounds very good though :)

Conclusion:  For some very exciting Bruckner, listen to Jochum.  0:)

I think had Bruckner been alive, he would given Jochum a very large gratuity.   ;D

Bunny

ChamberNut

Quote from: Bunny on May 07, 2008, 09:33:12 AM
Brahms - it's his birthday, after all. ;D

Which means it's also Tchaikovsky's birthday also.  You think that would have been enough to guarantee them being best buddies.   ;D

greg

Quote from: Bunny on May 07, 2008, 09:33:12 AM
Brahms - it's his birthday, after all. ;D
Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to tell him on myspace.

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

marvinbrown

I've just started listening to this and plan on spending a lot of time this time around actually studying these fine works:

This will be my 4th time (according to my iTunes playcount) listening to these works.  Tone and mood I am quite familiar with, but what I am most interested in studying now is the "communication" between the 4 instruments.  After watching the DVD BBC documentary on Beethoven, I learned that Beethoven's encroaching deafness plunged him into moments of despairing solitude- the need to communicate "ideas", feelings through music became somewhat of a priority to Beethoven and the string quartets provided a viable platform for "dialogue".  I am not sure what I am looking for exactly or what I'll find as my previous approaches to the string quartets were more about their emotional impact than anything academic.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

marvin     

quintett op.57

Haydn : op.74 n°3
Honegger : Cello concerto
Bruckner : Sy 8 (Giulini)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Swiss composer Hans Huber, two overtures and the Second Symphony (Böcklin-Symphonie).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

ChamberNut

Finally, after an extremely long wait.....my Beethoven String Trios set has arrived!  :)

CD1

String Trio # 1 in E flat major, Op. 3
Serenade for string trio in D major, Op. 8

Zurich String Trio
Brilliant

BachQ

Brahms, Paganini Variations (Katchen) ........ Sizzlin' baby!
Brahms, Variationen und Fuge über ein Thema von Händel Op.24 (Katchen)  0:)

ChamberNut

Finally, after an extremely long wait.....my Beethoven String Trios set has arrived!  :)

CD 2

String Trio in G major, Op. 9/1
String Trio in D major, Op. 9/2
String Trio in C minor, Op. 9/3

Zurich String Trio
Brilliant

greg