At the Museum Near Where You Live

Started by karlhenning, May 05, 2008, 02:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood

Here in Vienna, Austria one of my favorite museums is at the Belvedere Palace.

At the heart of the displays at the Belvedere is the world's largest Gustav Klimt collection.

My favorite portrait of Napoleon by Jacques-Louis David is here as well.

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

hildegard

Awesome exhibit of Vermeer paintings and other Dutch masters of the same era at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC through November '09 with Vermeer's The Milkmaid (1657-58) as the pièce de resistance.

The exhibit is part of the NY400 Celebration commemorating Henry Hudson's exploration of the Hudson River some 400 years ago.   

Girl With a Pearl Earring (c. 1665) was not among the paintings exhibited, I am sorry to say, nor were there any Scarlett sightings. ;D  However, Vermeer's Study of a Young Woman (1665-1667) (immediately below), which is part of this exhibit, bears an uncanny resemblance in composition to the better-known masterpiece (further down).

knight66

Earlier this year when I was in New York, I spent a day in the Met museum. I stumbled across three Vermeer paintings hung side by side.

Calm and translucent with the light that lit the figures in the compositions like a benediction. He was a very special artist. I stood there transfixed, all alone, no one else came to look at the work. It was an encounter I will not forget.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Harry

Quote from: hildegard on September 27, 2009, 03:55:17 PM
Awesome exhibit of Vermeer paintings and other Dutch masters of the same era at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC through November '09 with Vermeer's The Milkmaid (1657-58) as the pièce de resistance.

The exhibit is part of the NY400 Celebration commemorating Henry Hudson's exploration of the Hudson River some 400 years ago.   

Girl With a Pearl Earring (c. 1665) was not among the paintings exhibited, I am sorry to say, nor were there any Scarlett sightings. ;D  However, Vermeer's Study of a Young Woman (1665-1667) (immediately below), which is part of this exhibit, bears an uncanny resemblance in composition to the better-known masterpiece (further down).

Vermeer is undoubtebly one of the greatest Dutch painters, Hildegard, his paintings give you exactly what his eyes saw.
Scarlett was not around huh, well strange she being his model and all......:)

SonicMan46

International Civil Rights Center & Museum - new museum opening on the 50th anniversary of the sit-down movement  in Greensboro in 1960 that helped to start the civil rights movement(s) in the USA - housed in the original Woolworth building w/ the lunch counter intact - spectacular audiovisual presentations - was not expecting much, but this first visit was a surprise - not large but unique and important - worth a stop if passing through the Piedmont area of North Carolina - more Info HERE! :)

QuoteFifty years ago, the F.W. Woolworth building in Greensboro, N.C., stood as a reminder of segregated life in the south. Today, the building stands as a monument to the power of human courage and its ability to bring about social change. The International Civil Rights Center & Museum is more than just a building designed to house historical exhibits and artifacts. It is a place to witness, to experience and to discuss how to affect social change in our own nation and around the world.

Harpo

Quote from: SonicMan on February 20, 2010, 08:32:40 AM
International Civil Rights Center & Museum - new museum opening on the 50th anniversary of the sit-down movement  in Greensboro in 1960 that helped to start the civil rights movement(s) in the USA - housed in the original Woolworth building w/ the lunch counter intact - spectacular audiovisual presentations - was not expecting much, but this first visit was a surprise - not large but unique and important - worth a stop if passing through the Piedmont area of North Carolina - more Info HERE! :)

In 1960, four students from NC Agricultural and Technical University staged the first "sit-in" at the "whites only" Woolworth's counter, resolving to sit there (nonviolently) until they were served. They were soon joined by other students and city residents. Eventually, after bomb threats and police intervention, they were served, opening the door to integration in the South. The museum brings the drama of racism and civil rights to life, on a gut level. (In 1971, the year we moved to NC, the Winston-Salem schools were integrated for the first time.) 
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

knight66

The Victoria and Albert museum in London has refurbished its Gothic and Renaissance galleries.

Mike

knight66

And some more, glorious pieces beautifully laid out.

Mike

Opus106

The third one is very nicely done -- I refer to the photo. :) Thanks for the pics.
Regards,
Navneeth

Spotswood

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on February 23, 2010, 08:26:45 AM
Phiuladelphia Museum of Art is staging Picasso and the avant-garde in Paris beginning tomorrow.

How long does that run, do you know, Joe?  Must be worth a trip down from Boston.

Spotswood

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 23, 2010, 08:34:21 AM
How long does that run, do you know, Joe?  Must be worth a trip down from Boston.

Through April 25. Odd the link isn't working. Try www.philamuseum.org.

karlhenning

Won't be anything new on a large scale at the MFA in Boston until the grand reopening of the East Wing in November.  But there's a nice Spanish still-life exhibit which has just opened.

Spotswood

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 23, 2010, 08:50:31 AM
Looks nice!

Well, if you decide to go, let me know. I'm rather a good tour guide in Philadelphia.

karlhenning

You're on!  Let me check my calendar . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on February 23, 2010, 09:20:55 AM
Well, if you decide to go, let me know. I'm rather a good tour guide in Philadelphia.

Hate to miss this exhibit, but my April has taken rather a different shape.  Another time, Joe!

pjme