Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

I'll snag this thread to honor one of my all time favorites: Antonin Dvorak

Here's his Wikipedia Entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonin_Dvorak

Here's a great book on Dvorak with CDs included!

http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Romantic-Versatile-Unlocking-Masters/dp/1574671073/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4456605-3214401?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175956371&sr=1-1

My Personal Dvorak Dozen

1 - Symphony 9 "New World"
2 - Cello Concerto
3 - Symphony 8
4 - String Quartet 12 "American"
5 - Piano Quintet Op 81
6 - Symphony 7
7 - Serenade for Winds Op 44
8 - Slavonic Dances Op 46
9 - Violin Concerto
10 - String Quintet Op 97
11 - String Serenade Op 22
12 - Carnival Overture

My Favorite Dvorak CD
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=118764&album_group=5

My 2nd Favorite Dvorak CD
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Drilldown?name_id1=3313&name_role1=1&comp_id=933&bcorder=15&name_id=24534&name_role=2

Welcome all Dvorak fans to the Dvorak Den!

Harry

Count me in dear friend, a avid collector of Dvoraks music! ;D

hornteacher

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 06:44:05 AM
Count me in dear friend, a avid collector of Dvoraks music! ;D

I feel the love already.   8)

Gurn Blanston

With the sole exception of the solo piano music, I have the complete works of Dvorak. My list resembles hornteacher's in most ways, excepting the 9th symphony not being atop. IMO, the 6th, 7th and 8th are superior, but hey, that's just me.

In any case, the chamber music must occupy most of the top positions. And little pieces are as good as large ones. Try the bagatelles for strings for example. The "Dvorak Miniatures" disk on Supraphon (SU 3391-2) by the Panocha Quartet is a treasure trove of beautiful little works. Highly recommended!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Lethevich

Favourites:

1. Cello concerto
2. The Water Goblin
3. Symphony no.7
4. The Noon Witch
5. Piano trio no.4
6. String quartet no.13
7. String serenade*
8. Symphony no.6
9. Symphony no.8
10. The Wood Dove
11. Stabat Mater
12. Piano quintet, op.81

Need to buy more chamber discs. At the moment my favourite is this one:

*I think Diegobueno recommended me this as being similar to the Tchaikovsky one - it's super.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe on April 07, 2007, 07:02:53 AM
Favourites:

1. Cello concerto
2. The Water Goblin
3. Symphony no.7
4. The Noon Witch
5. Piano trio no.4
6. String quartet no.13
7. String serenade*
8. Symphony no.6
9. Symphony no.8
10. The Wood Dove
11. Stabat Mater
12. Piano quintet, op.81

Need to buy more chamber discs. At the moment my favourite is this one:

*I think Diegobueno recommended me this as being similar to the Tchaikovsky one - it's super.

Lethe,
I like that Piano Trio #3 even better than the Dumky! The one in f. Give it a listen on that superb disk you recommend and see if you don't agree. Splendid work!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

BachQ

Quote from: Lethe on April 07, 2007, 07:02:53 AM
Favourites:

1. Cello concerto
2. The Water Goblin
3. Symphony no.7
4. The Noon Witch
5. Piano trio no.4
6. String quartet no.13
7. String serenade*
8. Symphony no.6
9. Symphony no.8
10. The Wood Dove
11. Stabat Mater
12. Piano quintet, op.81

My top 5:

Cello Concerto in b minor
Symphony no. 7 in d minor  :)
Symphony no. 9
Violin Concerto
Carnival Overture

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 07, 2007, 06:55:40 AM

In any case, the chamber music must occupy most of the top positions. And little pieces are as good as large ones.

Man after my own heart! ;) I've just said something similar on the Brahms thread, and the same applies to Dvorak too, you are right - even more so, if anything.

Bogey

Some of my favorites, but not much new to add to what others have posted:

Cello Concerto-Rostropovich/Giulini/LPO or Rostropovich/HvK/BPO

String Quartet 12 "American"-Smentana Quartet (Live recording)

Symphony 9 "New World"-Bernstein/NYPO or Marriner/Minnesota Orchestra

Slavonic Dances Op 46-Szell/Cleveland

Legends Op. 59-Zinman/Rochester PO

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Lethevich

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 07, 2007, 07:11:28 AM
Man after my own heart! ;) I've just said something similar on the Brahms thread, and the same applies to Dvorak too, you are right - even more so, if anything.

I guess like the Haydn thread, supporters of his obscure pieces should probably start some heavy promotion of them before we get into too much talk about which set of syms 7-9 is the best :P

Not obscure, but the symphonic poems op.107-111 are IMO at the pinnacle of his orchestral output (almost frighteningly melodic and colourful), but can be a little overlooked next to the slavonic dances and symphonies.

I think that one of my next musical aims will be to collect lots of his chamber music - beyond the SQs, trios and piano quintets.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Lethe on April 07, 2007, 07:26:06 AM
I guess like the Haydn thread, supporters of his obscure pieces should probably start some heavy promotion of them before we get into too much talk about which set of syms 7-9 is the best :P

Not obscure, but the symphonic poems op.107-111 are IMO at the pinnacle of his orchestral output (almost frighteningly melodic and colourful), but can be a little overlooked next to the slavonic dances and symphonies.

I think that one of my next musical aims will be to collect lots of his chamber music - beyond the SQs, trios and piano quintets.

Yes. It won't be long before the symphonists take over. ::)

I have a superb disk of the Tone Poems - Czech PO / Chalabala. I have 2 or 3 other versions too, but since I got this one I don't listen to the others. Try it and see, I think you will be taken too! :)

8)

Lethevich

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 07, 2007, 08:05:00 AM
I have a superb disk of the Tone Poems - Czech PO / Chalabala. I have 2 or 3 other versions too, but since I got this one I don't listen to the others. Try it and see, I think you will be taken too! :)

Hmm, I will definitely investigate. My two current ones are N. Järvi/Chandos (my current favourite, though many would probably consider it unspectacular) and Kubelik/DG Trio (good performances with not ideal sound quality - although far from historic).

SonicMan46

Quote from: hornteacher on April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM
I'll snag this thread to honor one of my all time favorites: Antonin Dvorak.................

Welcome all Dvorak fans to the Dvorak Den!

Hornteacher - yes, Dvorak is certainly one of my favorite composers, and one of the tops for me in the 19th century; own most of his chamber works (my favorite by him) and plenty of orchestral works, including a couple of symphonic cycles; but do need to look into another set of Symphonic Poems - have the 2-CD set by Jarvi which receives good reviews but seems to be lacking that Dvorak gusto!.   
BTW - thanks for the recommendation on the book - looked at that on Amazon a year ago, but then forgot to buy it -  :-\  :D

rappy

Why is his 8th symphony so damn great?!
Imagine you'd just won a million dollars - there would be no other piece of music you could turn on in that situation!

Burchest

I too am a big fan of Dvorak. His 6th, 7th and 8th symphonies occupy the top spots in that genre for me although the the 1979 recording of the 9th by the Vienna Philharmonic under the baton of Kirill Kondrashin is a stand alone marvel. The cello concerto along with the violin and piano concertos are more than delightful works. I also enjoy his Serenades, Symphonic Poems, String Quartets, Stabat Mater, the Overtures the two Orchestral Suites. The Slavonic Rhapsodies are rich with melody. In all I would have to say he is one of my favorite composers.

Bogey

What recording do all of you enjoy for Humoresque in G flat major, Op. 101 no 7?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 07, 2007, 05:14:58 PM
What recording do all of you enjoy for Humoresque in G flat major, Op. 101 no 7?

Bill - I have about 2 dozen CDs of Dvorak's music, but absolutely no 'solo piano' discs! I have had my 'eye' on the Brilliant set shown below, but don't know the reviews - would appreciate comments from others concerning this part of his output - thanks.  Dave  :)

hornteacher

Quote from: SonicMan on April 07, 2007, 11:27:57 AM
BTW - thanks for the recommendation on the book - looked at that on Amazon a year ago, but then forgot to buy it -  :-\  :D

Yes, its got the two things I like most in a book, organized structure and BIG PRINT!

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on April 07, 2007, 05:41:52 PM
Bill - I have about 2 dozen CDs of Dvorak's music, but absolutely no 'solo piano' discs! I have had my 'eye' on the Brilliant set shown below, but don't know the reviews - would appreciate comments from others concerning this part of his output - thanks.  Dave  :)

Dave,
I am seeing this piece performed on other instruments than piano.  It was originally written for piano, correct?

George

Quote from: Bill on April 07, 2007, 05:14:58 PM

I was just going to say that I don't have this one, but then I just checked my favorite guidebook and it seems I do. It's Art Tatum. I've put it on for a spin and he sure has fun with this one, melding the jazz and classical styles nicely.

If I were to get the whole set or any Dvorak set (I have nothing beyond the Tatum), I'd go for Kvapil on Supraphon.