Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

After a period of nearly neglecting this work, I dug through my collection, for my recording of the moving Dvorak Cellokonzert in h-moll. In honor of the passing of our dear friend, Mstilaw Rostropovich, I played it yesterday. I cannot recall a more powerful element of the Cello Repotoire. Simply delightful.

Israfel the Black

Quote from: Steve on April 29, 2007, 01:14:31 PM
After a period of nearly neglecting this work, I dug through my collection, for my recording of the moving Dvorak Cellokonzert in h-moll. In honor of the passing of our dear friend, Mstilaw Rostropovich, I played it yesterday. I cannot recall a more powerful element of the Cello Repotoire. Simply delightful.

I favor the somewhat underappreciated du Pre/Celibidache recording with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. It's the longest interpretation of the Dvorak, but the passion of both du Pre and the orchestra is truly breathtaking. The Rostropovich/Karajan is a close second for me, however.

Bogey

Quote from: Steve on April 29, 2007, 01:14:31 PM

Quote from: Israfel the Black on April 29, 2007, 01:56:33 PM
I favor the somewhat underappreciated du Pre/Celibidache recording with the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra. It's the longest interpretation of the Dvorak, but the passion of both du Pre and the orchestra is truly breathtaking. The Rostropovich/Karajan is a close second for me, however.

This is one of those pieces where you can have 6 or 7 recordings and still not mind a couple more.... :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Israfel the Black

SonicMan46

Quote from: hornteacher on April 29, 2007, 01:06:02 PM
Found a top-notch recording of the American Quartet Op 96 and Quintet Op 97 here - click 'top-notch recording' -  :)

HT - recent recording from a 'new' Talich group - great review - price is steep, though - but bet it is good (having recordings from previous Talich quartets) -  :D

This might be a good opportunity to start some posts on Dvorak's String Quartet output - believe he wrote 14 or so of these works; I own only 6 of the SQs by this composer, and certainly would like to not only 'expand' my collection, but possibly do some 'updating' -  8)

SQs, Nos. 8 & 11 w/ the Vlach Quartet Prague on Naxos (4* rating Amazon)
SQs, Nos. 9 & 10 w/ the American String Quartet on Nonesuch - 1986! Can't find an image but well recommended then!
SQs, Nos. 12 & 14 w/ the Takacs Quartet on London

Own the ones above (and for a long time); so, please 'what' are some 'current' recommendations, plus have none of the first half of his SQ output - are these worth a consideration?  Thanks, all -  ;D

AnthonyAthletic

Every now and again, the smaller labels in this case Discover throw up a Gem recording.

This is their's; the 12th "American" & 13th.  Wonderful playing from the Travnicek Quartet, one of my favourite Dvorak discs. 

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Siedler

Quote from: hornteacher on April 13, 2007, 11:42:08 AM
Just been listening to Dvorak's Serenade for Winds.  Anyone else familiar with this marvellous piece?
Oh yes, indeed, it's gorgeous. I have only heard the version that my library has, it's the Orpheus one coupled with the equally beautiful String Serenade.

hornteacher

Quote from: SonicMan on April 29, 2007, 02:43:40 PM
HT - recent recording from a 'new' Talich group - great review - price is steep, though - but bet it is good (having recordings from previous Talich quartets) -  :D

This might be a good opportunity to start some posts on Dvorak's String Quartet output - believe he wrote 14 or so of these works; I own only 6 of the SQs by this composer, and certainly would like to not only 'expand' my collection, but possibly do some 'updating' -  8)

SQs, Nos. 8 & 11 w/ the Vlach Quartet Prague on Naxos (4* rating Amazon)
SQs, Nos. 9 & 10 w/ the American String Quartet on Nonesuch - 1986! Can't find an image but well recommended then!
SQs, Nos. 12 & 14 w/ the Takacs Quartet on London

Own the ones above (and for a long time); so, please 'what' are some 'current' recommendations, plus have none of the first half of his SQ output - are these worth a consideration?  Thanks, all -  ;D

Here's another great one:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=8788

Dvorak Piano Quintet and SQ #10

hornteacher

Quote from: Bill on April 29, 2007, 02:01:07 PM
This is one of those pieces where you can have 6 or 7 recordings and still not mind a couple more.... :)

Like this one: (my personal favorite)

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=102169

Que

Quote from: SonicMan on April 13, 2007, 12:57:37 PM
Agree completely w/ Harry - love the Dvorak Serenades - own a CD from the 1980s w/ one of my favorite groups, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra - has the string & wind serenades (Op. 22 & 44); apparently, now OOP, but Arkiv Music is offering the same disc as a CD-R (but w/o the liner notes!) - I bought this years ago, and would certainly be open to some 'newer' interpretations.  :)

This one is superb - as authentically Czech as can be. Magic! :)
Recordings are good, but not new ('66/'78).

Q

hornteacher

Can we discuss Dvorak's 7th Symphony for a moment?  I have read several texts that essentially all say the same two things about the 7th:

1) It is Dvorak's greatest symphony
2) It is the most Brahmsian of Dvorak's symphonies

My question is this: how can the 7th be considered Dvorak's greatest symphony if he is copying the style of another composer (granted Brahms is a very good one to emulate)?

I've even seen one writer put it like this: "the 6th is Dvorak doing Beethoven, the 7th is Dvorak doing Brahms, the 8th and 9th are pure Dvorak."

Personally, I find the 8th and 9th easier to latch on to than the 7th but would like to study it more.  Any thoughts on why historians describe the 7th as they do?

MishaK

Quote from: Israfel the Black on April 29, 2007, 01:56:33 PM

The Celi/Du Pre is outstanding. My favorite! It is also available as an individual CD thus:

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: hornteacher on June 29, 2007, 03:19:19 PM
My question is this: how can the 7th be considered Dvorak's greatest symphony if he is copying the style of another composer (granted Brahms is a very good one to emulate)?

Good point. I agree with you. Dvorak was best when being himself. The D minor is a very fine symphony, but the last two are the great ones.

IMHO.

Any thoughts on why historians describe the 7th as they do?

They like music that sounds like Brahms better than music that sounds like Dvorak.

JoshLilly

Didn't read the whole thread here, sorry if this was already covered.

I have two complete sets of Dvořák's symphonies, one conducted by Kubelik, and the other ... I forget, but it was issued in 3 boxes on Philips in those 2-CD boxes, grouped as Early Symphonies Vol I and II and Late Symphonies. I'm not really happy with 6, 7, 8, or 9 on the Philips set for some reason, so I'm looking for something else. I like the Kubelik performances way more for those (especially 6), but the sound quality is bad; I think these were from the 1970s. I've heard people praise the sound quality, but those people have to be on drugs - they have that "unclean" sound that all recordings made from before at least 1980 seem to have.

So... what else is out there? Anything newer? I'm checking around amazon.com but they don't always provide sound samples, and I'm interested in opinions of anything newer that people think is good. Sound quality is just very important to me; I still play my Kubelik set for the last 4 symphonies, but despite this being about as good as the 1970s could get, the sound quality just distracts and detracts.

PerfectWagnerite

Sounds like you have the Rowicki/London SO set. I am surprised you think that since I think that set is a primary recommendation. ANYWAY if you want fabulous DDD sound AND top-notch performance I would check out the Neumann/Czech PO set on Supraphon which has has been reissued at midprice.

This is what I am referring to.

JoshLilly

No no, don't get me wrong. I like the Rowicki/London SO set very much, but I'm just not totally satisfied with the last 4 symphonies. Well, to be honest, the performance of the 6th is on the sunny side of tolerable, but for the 7th, I'm not happy with the 1st, 3rd, or 4th movements - they just don't feel "harsh" enough to me where I feel they should be harsh, at least in a way I've heard it done in other recordings that I prefer. The 8th and 9th on that set I don't listen to any more, I have to say. The performance of the 5th though is maybe my favourite of all! I really like it, and also the 3rd. The others are more than fine. Anyway, bang for the buck, the Philips Duo collection is really great. I got it for the low price and was very happy with it.

I'm interested in that set you mention. I'm not at all familiar with it. Thanks for the recommendation!

mahlertitan

Dvorak is one of those melodic geniuses. Like Tchaikovsky, beautiful melodies just flows from his pen, my favourites are:

American Suite in A major for Orchestra B. 190 (op. 98b)

Symphony no.4 in D minor

5 Prague waltzes B. 99

and of course, the famous ones, like the 6,7,8,9, symphonies, piano quintet in A, and the american quartet

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: JoshLilly on July 16, 2007, 11:30:13 AM
No no, don't get me wrong. I like the Rowicki/London SO set very much, but I'm just not totally satisfied with the last 4 symphonies. Well, to be honest, the performance of the 6th is on the sunny side of tolerable, but for the 7th, I'm not happy with the 1st, 3rd, or 4th movements - they just don't feel "harsh" enough to me where I feel they should be harsh, at least in a way I've heard it done in other recordings that I prefer. The 8th and 9th on that set I don't listen to any more, I have to say. The performance of the 5th though is maybe my favourite of all! I really like it, and also the 3rd. The others are more than fine. Anyway, bang for the buck, the Philips Duo collection is really great. I got it for the low price and was very happy with it.

I'm interested in that set you mention. I'm not at all familiar with it. Thanks for the recommendation!

If you like it "harsh" I'd also suggest the classic Kertesz set on DECCA. Not the most refined playing in the world but full of pointy rhythm and characterful accents. #7 is probably the highlight of that set.

Lethevich

I also second the Supraphon Neumann, the sound is very clear. I find the cycle more solid than the label's newer one with Válek (plus that's a mix of studio and live).

For some reason I found the Kertesz infuriating to listen to, I'm glad I sampled before buying.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

hornteacher

Its not part of a set, but this Mackerras CD is my favorite version of the 8th and 9th (both recorded live).  Gorgeous.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=118764&album_group=5