Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draško

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 13, 2018, 09:30:35 AM
I have been looking for a good recording of the Fourth,on it's own,as opposed to,as part of a box set

cilgwyn

Quote from: Draško on December 13, 2018, 11:08:24 AM

Yes,and I don't think I've got the Suite?! I'll have to play the Fourth again. I love the way it opens. I'm wondering whether the rest lives up to expectations? That said,I don't think there's a Dvorak symphony I don't like at all. No's ! & 3 are the weakest,for me (I seem to remember?).

Daverz

Listened to the 24/96 download of the Kertesz 4th the other day.  It's a thrilling performance, beautifully recorded.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Draško on December 13, 2018, 11:08:24 AM

This one is a great sounding 4th, and very exciting. Hengelbrock/NDR and Rowicki/LSO offer up a lot of detail and balance, while I go to Jarvi/SNO and Kertesz/LSO for a more muscular tone. These four versions of the 4th are my favorite.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 13, 2018, 09:30:35 AM
I have been looking for a good recording of the Fourth,on it's own,as opposed to,as part of a box set;and I have thought about buying Pešek's recording,on occasion.. The Jarvi is paired with songs;which put me off. I'll look out for this s/h,now.
Speaking of the Fourth, I came across this one which I really like:

https://www.amazon.com/Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k-Complete-Symphonies-Vol-3/dp/B01MEEDT8J/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=dvorak+deutsche&qid=1555252799&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I don't see a cd version. It is labeled as Volume 3 but strangely enough I don't see Volumes 1 and 2.

Biffo

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 14, 2019, 06:44:25 AM
Speaking of the Fourth, I came across this one which I really like:

https://www.amazon.com/Dvo%C5%99%C3%A1k-Complete-Symphonies-Vol-3/dp/B01MEEDT8J/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=dvorak+deutsche&qid=1555252799&s=gateway&sr=8-8

I don't see a cd version. It is labeled as Volume 3 but strangely enough I don't see Volumes 1 and 2.

Vols 1 (No 1) and 2 (No 5) are available from Presto Classical - https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=karel+mark+chichon

Never previously heard of him. Do I need more Dvorak symphonies? - no, but might give them a listen if they are on Spotify.

Mirror Image

Here's a question for my fellow Dvořákians: what recording(s) of the songs/lieder would you recommend?

I've been looking at the following:

Thanks in advance. It seems the songs and the solo piano music are the only things I'm missing from my Dvořák collection. I'm missing almost all of the operas except Rusalka, which I have conducted by Václav Neumann on Supraphon. It seems he composed many operas and many of them are difficult to obtain, so I won't even try. ;)

Madiel

Can't generally help you with the songs. Coverage is frustratingly patchy and I haven't figured it out yet myself, apart from scribbling notes for later about possible albums. And working out there was a Czech online store that had a bigger range than elsewhere (if it was accurate).

Except that you'd already have the Biblical Songs in the sacred music box set you've been listening to. Not absolutely sure it's the same recording, but think it might be.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2020, 05:07:21 AM
Can't generally help you with the songs. Coverage is frustratingly patchy and I haven't figured it out yet myself, apart from scribbling notes for later about possible albums. And working out there was a Czech online store that had a bigger range than elsewhere (if it was accurate).

Except that you'd already have the Biblical Songs in the sacred music box set you've been listening to. Not absolutely sure it's the same recording, but think it might be.

Thanks, Madiel. Yes, I do have the Biblical Songs in the Supraphon set, but it's the orchestrated version of course and I'd love to have the version for voice/piano. It seems like the Bernarda Fink recordings on Harmonia Mundi have received some favorable reviews and I had a credit on Amazon UK, so I went ahead and bought both of her recordings. She does have nice voice and, although, I could've probably went for a Czech performance, I have hardly ever (if ever) been disappointed with a Harmonia Mundi recording. The price was also pretty good, especially compared to what these recordings cost in the US.

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 11, 2020, 05:19:23 AM
Thanks, Madiel. Yes, I do have the Biblical Songs in the Supraphon set, but it's the orchestrated version of course and I'd love to have the version for voice/piano.

The set actually has both. The 5-song orchestral version, and the original 10-song piano version.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2020, 05:27:30 AM
The set actually has both. The 5-song orchestral version, and the original 10-song piano version.

You're absolutely correct! Wow...how'd I miss that? :-[ Thanks for catching this. When I was ripping this set, I must've missed the eighth disc.

Madiel

The other thing that bugs me is some albums (like the one I'm streaming right this second) have songs in German, not the original Czech version. There are a few songs that are supposed to be in German, but mostly Dvorak wrote them in Czech. The German is mostly thanks to the publisher Simrock, who (probably correctly) thought that Czech wouldn't sell and wanted German versions. But these days people really should go back to what Dvorak originally intended.

As far as Bernarda Fink is concerned, I've seen pretty consistent positive reviews. I've hesitated because in some cases she does extracts rather than complete sets, but if that doesn't trouble you then I expect she'll be good.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2020, 05:33:21 AM
The other thing that bugs me is some albums (like the one I'm streaming right this second) have songs in German, not the original Czech version. There are a few songs that are supposed to be in German, but mostly Dvorak wrote them in Czech. The German is mostly thanks to the publisher Simrock, who (probably correctly) thought that Czech wouldn't sell and wanted German versions. But these days people really should go back to what Dvorak originally intended.

As far as Bernarda Fink is concerned, I've seen pretty consistent positive reviews. I've hesitated because in some cases she does extracts rather than complete sets, but if that doesn't trouble you then I expect she'll be good.

I didn't know that. That is interesting. Yes, I'm with you as far as the original language goes. I do wish they would sing in the language that the composer intended. Yeah, there are some excerpts on the Fink recording with Roger Vignoles, but there does look there are some full song cycles on there:

[Click to enlarge]

Madiel

I'm gonna do some streaming (now that I've got Primephonic to make it so much easier to find things). In between all the other streaming projects of course.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on May 11, 2020, 06:01:31 AM
I'm gonna do some streaming (now that I've got Primephonic to make it so much easier to find things). In between all the other streaming projects of course.

Very good. If you listen to any of Fink recordings, please share your thoughts here. She sounded rather nice or, at least, from the audio samples.

Brian

I enjoy the Fink/Vignoles recording. I also recently quite enjoyed the Dvorak + Janacek + Martinu recital in the Rudolf Firkusny box set, featuring Gabriela Benackova.

vers la flamme

I must confess that I don't "get" Dvořák. He might be the only one of the major composers that just doesn't do much for me. I used to like his New World symphony, but I burned it out pretty quickly and in any case, I don't have it on CD at the moment. The only works of his that I actually do like somewhat are the B minor Cello Concerto & the E major string serenade, though I prefer his student Suk's work in that genre. I found myself especially unimpressed with the string quartets but I owe them a more serious listen; he left behind a formidable cycle.

I'm planning on checking out the piano & violin concertos and taking it from there. I do think he is a great composer and I hope his work clicks with me some day. Seeing this thread has made me want to revisit one of his works so I shall do that soon—I'm thinking maybe the 7th or 8th symphony, both of which I have on CD. I will probably get the Kertész cycle of the symphonies some day. I like the sound of it, what I've heard anyway.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 11, 2020, 02:10:32 PM
I enjoy the Fink/Vignoles recording. I also recently quite enjoyed the Dvorak + Janacek + Martinu recital in the Rudolf Firkusny box set, featuring Gabriela Benackova.

Excellent, Brian. Good to hear I made a good choice.

Madiel

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 11, 2020, 02:30:24 PM
I must confess that I don't "get" Dvořák. He might be the only one of the major composers that just doesn't do much for me. I used to like his New World symphony, but I burned it out pretty quickly and in any case, I don't have it on CD at the moment. The only works of his that I actually do like somewhat are the B minor Cello Concerto & the E major string serenade, though I prefer his student Suk's work in that genre. I found myself especially unimpressed with the string quartets but I owe them a more serious listen; he left behind a formidable cycle.

I'm planning on checking out the piano & violin concertos and taking it from there. I do think he is a great composer and I hope his work clicks with me some day. Seeing this thread has made me want to revisit one of his works so I shall do that soon—I'm thinking maybe the 7th or 8th symphony, both of which I have on CD. I will probably get the Kertész cycle of the symphonies some day. I like the sound of it, what I've heard anyway.

My advice is don't start at the start. For example some of the first half dozen string quartets are frankly pretty tiresome. It took Dvořák some years to click into his style.

You'd be on safe ground with the 7th/8th symphonies though (and ones earlier than that).