Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: kyjo on May 28, 2023, 07:13:26 AMWell, you've reminded me that I actually need to sit down and listen to that piece... ;D

It is about as long as a Mahler symphony, so clear your calendar in advance! ;D

Madiel

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 28, 2023, 04:13:22 AMAnd then there's the insufferable 3rd String Quartet. Someone try and make a defense of that. Go on, I'll wait.

No.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Maestro267

Got a box of most of the chamber music outside of the string quartets today. Starting off with the Piano Trio No. 1 and it's gorgeous! So full of Dvorakian life and vitality!

Scion7

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 28, 2023, 04:13:22 AMAnd then there's the insufferable 3rd String Quartet. Someone try and make a defense of that. Go on, I'll wait.

It's a trifle long, and won't compare with his later published quartets, but there are far worse things out there. It's atmospheric and has some nice passages. Just thankful it was 'found' as the composer thought he'd succesfully destroyed it.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Madiel

Quote from: Maestro267 on October 12, 2023, 03:13:09 AMGot a box of most of the chamber music outside of the string quartets today. Starting off with the Piano Trio No. 1 and it's gorgeous! So full of Dvorakian life and vitality!

I see that was on my list of recommendations for "middle" Dvorak. It's right around the time I think he truly hit his stride.

What box is this?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Maestro267

Quote from: Madiel on October 12, 2023, 05:34:29 AMI see that was on my list of recommendations for "middle" Dvorak. It's right around the time I think he truly hit his stride.

What box is this?

It's on Brilliant Classics but I'm not sure it's in print anymore. This is a secondhand copy.

I must say I am immediately enjoying these works. So far I've listened to the Piano Trio No. 1, String Quintet No. 3 and now Piano Quartet No. 1. The only major works missing in the set are the String Quintet No. 1 and the String Sextet, as far as I can tell.

Jo498

The quartets in the Brilliant box are presumeably with the Stamitz/Stamic quartet, but who's playing the trios?
I like the first 2 trios they are unfairly overlooked works (they are IMO much better than all the earlyish quartets). Even better and more unfairly looked is the first *piano quartet*.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

DavidW

Quote from: Jo498 on October 12, 2023, 09:01:25 AMThe quartets in the Brilliant box are presumeably with the Stamitz/Stamic quartet, but who's playing the trios?

No that is a separate box.  I used to own them both.  One for the SQs, another for everything else.

Maestro267

Stamitz are in this set, but playing the String Quintets with guests on double bass and 2nd viola respectively.

Maestro267

Filling in the listening gaps in the Dvorak chamber music boxes I got this year, and I'm enjoying the String Quartet No. 1 (Stamitz) way more than I thought I would.

Mandryka

Has anyone explored the 8th quartet? It was thought to be a late piece - Roberta Samsour in her book describes it as the start of Dvorak's final cycle of quartets. However I just saw that the notes to the Vogler recording say that people know now that it was not so late: the high opus number was a marketing trick to get people to think that it is close to his piano quintet - which is a good seller. (Originally Dvorak called it op 20)

Anyway, it seems as fun as any Brahms quartet to me!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion, I don't remember listening to it in many years! Wikipedia says it is from 1876 - as far as I am concerned 1875 was the year where Dvorak "broke out" and became his mature self - and that it mixes major and minor keys in an ambiguous way. Time to try it.

(Edited to add: Dvorak's 1875 included the String Quintet No. 2 with double bass, first set of Moravian Duets, Piano Trio No. 1 and Piano Quartet No. 1, Serenade for Strings, and Symphony No. 5.)

Madiel

There is no "cycle" of  late quartets but it is frequently considered the first mature quartet. This does not mean a "late" piece, but it's the 8th out of 14.

Madiel

Any recommendations for recordings of the Symphonic Variations? I don't yet own one.

I know it probably comes as an attachment to symphonies. Everything does.

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on December 05, 2023, 02:52:16 PMAny recommendations for recordings of the Symphonic Variations? I don't yet own one.

I know it probably comes as an attachment to symphonies. Everything does.
Kubelik and Kuchar are two very lively, characterful performances you can find outside of symphony sets!

VonStupp

The last three Symphonic Variations I listened to weren't attached to symphonies, though most likely due to repackaging. I might prefer Kertesz, but I can't say I did comparisons.
VS

Kertesz, Kubelik, Jarvi

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Madiel

Well clearly Jarvi is out for not starting with K...

I will check all these out. Kubelik is of particular interest if he does the Legends well, because my existing version of those is a touch sleepy.

Edit: Oh, I see that coupling is only one version of how things were coupled...

Jo498

Yes, but the Kubelik 2fer might be the more attractive combination nevertheless as it is overall very good and the other pieces more relevant the the Legends although also more easily available (The legends with Kubelik were also a filler on a DG recording of a sacred piece, Stabat mater or Requiem, I think).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on December 06, 2023, 12:29:37 AMYes, but the Kubelik 2fer might be the more attractive combination nevertheless as it is overall very good and the other pieces more relevant the the Legends although also more easily available (The legends with Kubelik were also a filler on a DG recording of a sacred piece, Stabat mater or Requiem, I think).

I'll investigate both. I already have very good symphonic poems though (Harnoncourt).