Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

I didn't realize this but Krzysztof Penderecki recorded the Seventh Symphony, coupled with his own Symphony No 2.

schnittkease

Eschenbach / Thymos... this has to be one the finest recordings of the A major Piano Quintet - if not the best! The intonation is a bit spotty in the dumka, but there's plenty of impassioned playing to make up for it. What a find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJHhNVZKRE&index=14&list=PLWh5y9cVJmfwsAG68iRVVw_d_e56WWRv_

Cato

I have been revisiting the First Symphony, along with II and III via Witold Rowicki's set.

Sure, it wanders, but there are more good parts than mediocre, and no bad parts.  The Scherzo is perhaps the strongest of the four movements: one even hears flashes of Wagner's Rienzi Overture and Tannhaeuser Overture (either by chance or by homage).  In general, the symphony has more in common with the past (e.g. Schubert, Kalliwoda) than the future direction of the composer's music, but is not without interest.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

kyjo

Quote from: Cato on July 31, 2018, 07:16:54 PM
I have been revisiting the First Symphony, along with II and III via Witold Rowicki's set.

Sure, it wanders, but there are more good parts than mediocre, and no bad parts.  The Scherzo is perhaps the strongest of the four movements: one even hears flashes of Wagner's Rienzi Overture and Tannhaeuser Overture (either by chance or by homage).  In general, the symphony has more in common with the past (e.g. Schubert, Kalliwoda) than the future direction of the composer's music, but is not without interest.

I also find the scherzo of the 1st to be the most interesting movement - it contains some really strong flashes of inspiration in what is overall a work that is far too long for its material IMO. For some odd reason, I haven't heard the 2nd Symphony yet. In any case, the 3rd is a huge step up from the 1st, and contains some truly wonderful and inspired music. The 4th is a bit of a step down from the 3rd, but contains many interesting moments, particularly in the Tannhauser-esque slow movement.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

cilgwyn

I love the way the Fourth symphony begins. Very mysterious.

Madiel

Quote from: Cato on July 31, 2018, 07:16:54 PM

I seem to remember preferring the 1st to the 2nd. Though I've only listened to both of them once. I don't own a recording of the first 3 as yet.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Cato

Quote from: kyjo on July 31, 2018, 07:38:00 PM
I also find the scherzo of the 1st to be the most interesting movement - it contains some really strong flashes of inspiration in what is overall a work that is far too long for its material IMO. For some odd reason, I haven't heard the 2nd Symphony yet. In any case, the 3rd is a huge step up from the 1st, and contains some truly wonderful and inspired music. The 4th is a bit of a step down from the 3rd, but contains many interesting moments, particularly in the Tannhauser-esque slow movement.

The Second shows progress, perhaps in that it is more concise, but also is just more memorable.  And yes, the Third Symphony presents us a more recognizable Dvorak.

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 01, 2018, 01:39:20 AM
I love the way the Fourth symphony begins. Very mysterious.

The Fourth is one of my favorites!  Yes, the opening is marvelous, but I like the following section with its dreamy, nostalgic, dance-like theme of yearning even more!

Quote from: Madiel on August 01, 2018, 02:25:01 AM
I seem to remember preferring the 1st to the 2nd. Though I've only listened to both of them once. I don't own a recording of the first 3 as yet.

The old Istvan Kertesz recording is a good one: as mentioned, I have the Witold Rowicki set on Philips, and am very satisfied with it.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

PerfectWagnerite

Just heard the Piano Trio, great piece. Can't believe Brahms was the editor of the score. The pressure of having Brahms as the editor.

Madiel

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on September 05, 2018, 03:51:22 PM
Just heard the Piano Trio, great piece. Can't believe Brahms was the editor of the score. The pressure of having Brahms as the editor.

There are 4 piano trios.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

PerfectWagnerite

North Star

It seems that Dvorak, or the publisher, let Brahms proofread the score as Dvorak was in America at the time. I doubt he was feeling an enormous pressure.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Yes, that's not editing.

And by that stage, Brahms and Dvorak had known each other for about 15 years.

Brian

I believe the first Brahms/Dvorak interaction came around 1875?

Madiel

Something like that, yes.

EDIT: The excellent Dvorak website gives December 1877 as "establishes contact with Brahms", followed by December 1878 for travelling to Vienna to visit Brahms.

Looking more carefully, it seems that 1877 is when Brahms recommended Dvorak to the publisher Simrock, and wrote a letter to Dvorak telling him this. This is why the String Quartet No.9 was dedicated to Brahms.  But Brahms had seen Dvorak's music for a couple of years before that, because of the applications for a state scholarship.

Irons

I love the one written by Elgar, also Tchaikovsky, but for me the best of all is Dvorak's Serenade for String Orchestra. Dvorak's Serenade is imbued with themes fresh as the day they were written. A work I never tire of. The two recordings I own make a good contrast with an idiomatic Czech reading and the precision of the Academy playing. 

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Irons on September 26, 2018, 12:48:11 AM
I love the one written by Elgar, also Tchaikovsky, but for me the best of all is Dvorak's Serenade for String Orchestra. Dvorak's Serenade is imbued with themes fresh as the day they were written. A work I never tire of. The two recordings I own make a good contrast with an idiomatic Czech reading and the precision of the Academy playing. 

I am with you in the greatness of the Dvorak's Serenade above the others. Likewise, the one by his compatriot Suk, a rather charming early work.

cilgwyn

I have been looking for a good recording of the Fourth,on it's own,as opposed to,as part of a box set;and I have thought about buying Pešek's recording,on occasion.. The Jarvi is paired with songs;which put me off. I'll look out for this s/h,now. Nice artwork,too. I like the mysterious opening of this symphony. Someone mentions the Serenade. A lovely work. I do like the pairing of the Ormandy recording of the Ninth with this work. Kempe's conducting of this work (Serenade) is superb. The Ormandy Ninth is another favourite of mine. Although,if I had to pick one,it would probably be Ančerl.
I love the,truly,distinctive,sound of the woodwind on that Supraphon recording. But,everything about it! Just magical! :) And the Overtures! His Sixth is wonderful,too! I only wish he could have recorded the complete cycle! :(

Daverz

You can still get the Kertesz 4th as a separate "ADRM" CD on Amazon.  You can also get Rowicki's middle symphonies, and a Neumann recording (no coupling; from his digital cycle).

[asin] B0000041CU[/asin]

[asin] B00000E3A6[/asin]

[asin] B002UUJJIC[/asin]