Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 07, 2007, 05:58:04 PM
Dave,
I am seeing this piece performed on other instruments than piano.  It was originally written for piano, correct?

Bill - yes, I assumed that you meant the 'piano' version (here's a listing of the Brilliant Box) - but, I guess the work could certainly be played in other ways;  I'll 'bow' to those in the know since I don't even own a version of this work in any modality - let's see what others may say - Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: George on April 07, 2007, 06:22:56 PM
I was just going to say that I don't have this one, but then I just checked my favorite guidebook and it seems I do. It's Art Tatum. I've put it on for a spin and he sure has fun with this one, melding the jazz and classical styles nicely.

If I were to get the whole set or any Dvorak set (I have nothing beyond the Tatum), I'd go for Kvapil on Supraphon.

Quote from: SonicMan on April 07, 2007, 06:32:55 PM
Bill - yes, I assumed that you meant the 'piano' version (here's a listing of the Brilliant Box) - but, I guess the work could certainly be played in other ways;  I'll 'bow' to those in the know since I don't even own a version of this work in any modality - let's see what others may say - Dave  :)

I have it by Firkusny on MMG/Vox label.  I did not know I had it either. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Brian

Stefan Veselka has an excellent solo piano box, too.

Anyways...

I LOVE DVORAK!!!!
Especially the Symphony No. 7, Symphony No. 8, Symphony No. 6, Symphony No. 9, Symphony No. 5, Symphony No. 2, Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, Piano Concerto, Slavonic Dances, Slavonic Rhapsodies, Hussite Song, In Nature's Realm overture, Carnival overture, Othello overture, symphonic poem cycle, string quartets, string quintet, piano trios ... oh who am I kidding. Especially everything!   :D

Guido

While obviously he wrote a great amount of genius orchestral works (Cello concerto, last symphonies, tone poems, etc.), his orchestration being amongst the absolute finest of the Romantic era, the Chamber music is where he is most consistantly brilliant IMO - his ability to create almost orchestral textures with very limited forces is astonishing.

I'm another one who prefers the 3rd piano trio (op.65) to the Dumky - its an absolute stonker of a work. Really its the 5th of course as two early ones were lost/destroyed. There is also a lost cello sonata, where the solo cello part is all that remains (I havent seen it). The early cello cocerto in A minor from 1965 is very beautiful if far too long (25,8,23 minutes as movement timings respectively!), but of course cannot match the masterpiece that is the B minor concerto. There is quite an unconvincing orchestration and recording out there, but there is an exceptionally good version of the original cello/piano score (Dvorak never orchestrated it himself) played by Jiri Barta.

The numerous miniatures are also absolute gems
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 07, 2007, 05:41:52 PM
Bill - I have about 2 dozen CDs of Dvorak's music, but absolutely no 'solo piano' discs! I have had my 'eye' on the Brilliant set shown below, but don't know the reviews - would appreciate comments from others concerning this part of his output - thanks.  Dave  :)

Well here it is Dave!
I found them to be superb, recordingwise, but also artistically they are sound.
Beautiful works to boot.

val

Me too, I love Dvorak music.

First and above all the sublime piano Trio opus 65.

The opera Russalka (the first act and the last scenes of the 3rd are wonderful).

The 6th Symphony with the sublime Adagio and the exciting Furiant of the Scherzo.

The unforgettable Quartet opus 106.

The popular effervescence of Carnaval, the violin Concerto, the 8th Symphony.

The colors of the orchestra in the Water Goblin, the Noon Witch and the Golden spinning wheel.

The melancholy of the dances of Trio opus 90 and the perfect balance of the piano Quintet opus 81.

This is a magical world.

Bogey

Quote from: Harry on April 10, 2007, 03:01:19 AM
Well here it is Dave!
I found them to be superb, recordingwise, but also artistically they are sound.
Beautiful works to boot.

That will do it for me....just put it toward the top of my wish list.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Harry

Quote from: Bill on April 10, 2007, 04:45:34 AM

Well if you don't like it, I will move shortly, so no pain for me involved here! ;D
But seriously, I played this box many times, and could not find fault with it.
A full blooded and warmly recorded interpretation, and with enough distance to keep it lucid.

karlhenning

Prague Waltzes, I tell you!

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on April 10, 2007, 05:57:49 AM
Prague Waltzes, I tell you!

And the Legends not to forget, fine recording this is.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bill on April 10, 2007, 04:45:34 AM

Harry - thanks for the comments - I think a Brilliant box of Dvoark's Solo Piano music is about to enter both of our CD collections!  :)

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 10, 2007, 06:47:29 AM
Harry - thanks for the comments - I think a Brilliant box of Dvoark's Solo Piano music is about to enter both of our CD collections!  :)

You will both not regret it, or a eat my hat, which I don't have! ;D

The Dvoark's is good though, I laughed for quite a while!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on April 10, 2007, 06:57:16 AM
You will both not regret it, or a eat my hat, which I don't have! ;D

Harry - I'll send you a hat or two (the latter just for the future -  ;D) - I have a half dozen or so to keep the sun off my balding head on trips to the Carolina-Georgia coast in the summer!  :)

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on April 10, 2007, 07:13:16 AM
Harry - I'll send you a hat or two (the latter just for the future -  ;D) - I have a half dozen or so to keep the sun off my balding head on trips to the Carolina-Georgia coast in the summer!  :)

Well they come in handy,not only for eating but because my head is growing not that many hairs anymore as they use to, so it burns from time to time, when I walk in the Dutch sun. ;D

hornteacher

Just been listening to Dvorak's Serenade for Winds.  Anyone else familiar with this marvellous piece?

Harry

Quote from: hornteacher on April 13, 2007, 11:42:08 AM
Just been listening to Dvorak's Serenade for Winds.  Anyone else familiar with this marvellous piece?

Of course, its one of his most popular works.
I have the Philips recording with Marriner, but am non to pleased with that, so some recommendations would come in handy!

hornteacher

Quote from: Harry on April 13, 2007, 11:45:07 AM
Of course, its one of his most popular works.
I have the Philips recording with Marriner, but am non to pleased with that, so some recommendations would come in handy!

This is the one I have, and its a great recording (the coupling is the String Serenade)

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=72494

Harry

Will try to get some samples of that!
Thanks.

SonicMan46

Quote from: hornteacher on April 13, 2007, 11:42:08 AM

Agree completely w/ Harry - love the Dvorak Serenades - own a CD from the 1980s w/ one of my favorite groups, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra - has the string & wind serenades (Op. 22 & 44); apparently, now OOP, but Arkiv Music is offering the same disc as a CD-R (but w/o the liner notes!) - I bought this years ago, and would certainly be open to some 'newer' interpretations.  :)

hornteacher

Found a top-notch recording of the American Quartet Op 96 and Quintet Op 97 here:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=61476