Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 12:24:15 AM
No love for Slava and your home band, Karl? :) I have that and the über-famous one with the Berlin Phil. and Karajan. I think I'll give the former a spin today, since it's been a long time.

Daniel, the box I've linked to also contains Ilaria's favourite version of The Dances. ;)

Really? I didn't know Karajan made a complete recording of the Slavonic Dances! ;)

Another vote for this classic. Rostropovich and Von Karajan are a superb match!

+1! :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 07:30:28 AM
You're welcome. I bought the box at a discount from Presto, two or three years ago.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Used - Very Good copy of the singleton from a 3rd-partier I've ordered from before. Cheap enough, that even though (thanks to Karlo) I've now ordered the box, as well, I can justify the cost for the Tchaikovsky alone : )

Quote from: North Star on June 24, 2012, 08:37:07 AM
I just changed Nav's link's ending to .com - Amazon is nice when this works (most of the time)

An elegant simplicity, Karlo, and thanks again!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 08:30:16 AM
It's an unheard-of French orchestra with a long name. The names of the performers can be found listed at this page (click on the work's name). :)

Thank you, again, much-esteemed Nav!

Incidentally . . . who knows the Ančerl recording of the Requiem?  Is it as good as it seems to ought to be?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 10:00:00 AM
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Used - Very Good copy of the singleton from a 3rd-partier I've ordered from before. Cheap enough, that even though (thanks to Karlo) I've now ordered the box, as well, I can justify the cost for the Tchaikovsky alone : )

Nice!
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 24, 2012, 02:40:29 AM
Thank you all very much for your recommendations. I am particularly interested in the Queyras, Schiff (a cellist I have been very impressed with) and I'll make sure to get one of the Slava recordings too. And probably the Fournier too as Sarge likes it so much. I'd like to have a good selection of recordings of this great piece!

That looks like a really great box set, Nav! Ah, it has Harnoncourt's Slavonic Dances! One of my favourite recordings of all time! :)

Thank you all, again! :)

Well, you two just convinced me (not a hard thing to do). Just ordered it on AmazonUK MP.

Edit: I missed a whole page of this thread, and therefore missed the link to Amazon US, where it's cheaper.  So I cancelled the AmazonUK order and have ordered it from AmazonUS MP instead.

I realized after I placed the (first) order that this will be my first recording of the Requiem.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 24, 2012, 10:25:35 AM
Well, you two just convinced me (not a hard thing to do). Just ordered it on AmazonUK MP.

The Harnoncourt Slavonic Dances?
Edit: Just seen the Purchases Thread. Excellent! I hope you enjoy this amazing recording!

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 24, 2012, 09:45:24 AM
I've loved Dvořák's music since I listened to the Karajan/BPO recording of the 9th symphony; amongs the Czech composers, he is certainly my favourite. :) His works are incredibly powerful and expressive, deep and passionate, and they have always impressed me for the involving rythm, the splendid harmony, the haunting beauty of the melodies and the colourful, brilliant orchestration.
Besides the symphonies, my favourite Dvořák's pieces are the Piano, the Violin and the Cello Concerto op.104, the symphonic poems, Scherzo capriccioso, Serenade for strings and the Slavonic Dances.
Just about the Slavonic Dances, I've listened to them very much in this period, such gorgeous, beautiful music; both the Kubelik and the Harnoncourt are absolutely excellent recordings! 

Instead I'm afraid I'm still rather unfamiliar with Dvořák's chamber music; I would like to hear the String Quartets and the Prague String Quartet seems a fine box set; any other recommendation?

Wonderful description, Ilaria! I too need to delve more into his chamber music, and also need to hear the Requiem...
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kishnevi

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 24, 2012, 10:55:33 AM
The Harnoncourt Slavonic Dances?

Sorry, not clear enough.  I ordered the box Navneeth orginally posted.  But you get credit for singling out the Dances.

ETA:  Just realized as well that with this set I'll have scored a Slava hat trick, since I already have the recordings with Guilini/LPO and Karajan/BPO.  How many times did he record the durn thing anyway?

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 24, 2012, 10:57:51 AM
Sorry, not clear enough.  I ordered the box Navneeth orginally posted.  But you get credit for singling out the Dances.

No problem, just saw the purchases thread so edited my previous post anyway. Hope you enjoy it, Jeffrey. The Harnoncourt Slavonic Dances are simply outstanding. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

ETA:  Just realized as well that with this set I'll have scored a Slava hat trick, since I already have the recordings with Guilini/LPO and Karajan/BPO.  How many times did he record the durn thing anyway?

Well, we can be confident he knew the piece! And thought well of it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on June 24, 2012, 10:55:33 AM
Wonderful description, Ilaria! I too need to delve more into his chamber music, and also need to hear the Requiem...

Me too, I have still heard neither the Requiem nor the Stabat Mater.......two compositions I would very curious to listen to.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Five?

With Boult/RPO, Giulini/LPO, Karajan/Berlin, Talich/Czech Phil, Ozawa/Boston. There's probably a few more hidden somewhere  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 24, 2012, 11:25:48 AM
Five?

With Boult/RPO, Giulini/LPO, Karajan/Berlin, Talich/Czech Phil, Ozawa/Boston. There's probably a few more hidden somewhere  ;D

Sarge

It would stand to reason that he recorded it at least once with a Russian or Soviet orchestra....
However, that would mean it would probably have the high level of audio engineering for which Melodiya is famous, so I'm not in a hurry to hunt it down.

Opus106

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 24, 2012, 11:46:13 AM
It would stand to reason that he recorded it at least once with a Russian or Soviet orchestra....

You're right. There's one with Boris Khaikin and the USSRSRSO on Brilliant's Russian Legends edition.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 07:41:45 AM
5¢ €?  A steal, Sarge!

Nav, who are the forces for the Requiem in that box?  That's a piece which Shaw somehow failed to sell me on.

Oh, bet you I meant the Stabat Mater, instead.

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 12:24:15 AM
No love for Slava and your home band, Karl? :)

Box just landed! But, as it's a Warner re-issue . . . probably shan't be able to listen to it until I get home.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on June 28, 2012, 09:02:59 AM
But, as it's a Warner re-issue . . . probably shan't be able to listen to it until I get home.

?
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

The optical drive in the desktop here generally doesn't read Apex or Warner reissues, Nav.  No biggie!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on June 28, 2012, 10:42:09 AM
The optical drive in the desktop here generally doesn't read Apex or Warner reissues, Nav.  No biggie!

Oh, right... now I remember. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on June 24, 2012, 11:55:43 AM
You're right. There's one with Boris Khaikin and the USSRSRSO on Brilliant's Russian Legends edition.
Which is, weirdly, the only Rostropovich reading I have at present.

Karl Henning

Big thanks to Nav for the pointer: the Boston band sound terrific in this recording, Slava is (as ever) great, and Ozawa is playing to his strength here.  Come to think of it, wherever I have a recording which is conducted by Ozawa, the rep is Russian . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on June 24, 2012, 10:03:48 AM
Incidentally . . . who knows the Ančerl recording of the Requiem?  Is it as good as it seems to ought to be?

Visions of Kimi: I'm waiting!

Anyone know the Requiem at all? Opinions?  Cocktail recipes?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA