Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 01:41:54 AM
Kubelik, Järvi, Mack, great indeed--but definitive Dvorak? I prefer Harnoncourt's recordings of the tone poems. He defines definitive for me  8)

Without benefit of much comparison (just the Kubelik), I had this experience listening to the Harnoncourt just recently.  I was knocked out by his tone poems.  I felt almost as impressed by his (Nick's Dvorak's) late symphonies.  I got all of those crated up here:
[asin]B00021T5TO[/asin]

Apropos Mackerras' late tone poem recordings (that post of Brian's quoted just above), I might be going whole-hog for the following set, if the quality control is really good, I'll be doing some research soon:

[asin]B0046VRR4Q[/asin]
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Drasko

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 01:41:54 AM
Kubelik, Järvi, Mack, great indeed--but definitive Dvorak? I prefer Harnoncourt's recordings of the tone poems. He defines definitive for me  8)

Sarge

Those pieces have been very lucky on record. There are at least half dozen recordings that someone considers definitive. If you remember Andre was always nearly ecstatic about Zdenek Chalabala and M considered Neumann's to be one of his favorite orchestral recordings of anything.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Drasko on September 28, 2013, 02:52:06 AM
...and M considered Neumann's to be one of his favorite orchestral recordings of anything.

Oh yeah, Neumann is superb too. The inclusion of the symphonic poems makes the recent Neumann/Supraphon symphony box even more attractive.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 03:06:32 AM
Oh yeah, Neumann is superb too. The inclusion of the symphonic poems makes the recent Neumann/Supraphon symphony box even more attractive.

Sarge

The only complete recording of the symphonic poems I have so far are with Rattle/BPO.  I know this set isn't highly regarded.  However, you can always take comfort that the wild dove could rest and make itself a great nest in Rattle's hair.  ;D

[asin]B00A6EIM7S[/asin]

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 28, 2013, 03:39:12 AM
The only complete recording of the symphonic poems I have so far are with Rattle/BPO.  I know this set isn't highly regarded.  However, you can always take comfort that the wild dove could rest and make itself a great nest in Rattle's hair.  ;D

[asin]B00A6EIM7S[/asin]

;D :D ;D  Have you seen the The Hobbit? The wizard Radagast has a nest in his hair.

Not being a Rattle fan this one slipped by me. I wasn't even aware of it. Can't comment on it's worth, of course, but I see the Hurwitzer thinks highly of it, giving it a 9/9 and comparing it favorably to Harnoncourt. He ends his review by saying "this is an easy recommendation, and one I'm particularly pleased to be able to make, critical as I have been of Rattle and his various orchestras over the years."

Sarge

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 28, 2013, 03:57:46 AM
;D :D ;D  Have you seen the The Hobbit? The wizard Radagast has a nest in his hair.

Not being a Rattle fan this one slipped by me. I wasn't even aware of it. Can't comment on it's worth, of course, but I see the Hurwitzer thinks highly of it, giving it a 9/9 and comparing it favorably to Harnoncourt. He ends his review by saying "this is an easy recommendation, and one I'm particularly pleased to be able to make, critical as I have been of Rattle and his various orchestras over the years."

Sarge

;D No, I haven't seen The Hobbit

Interesting that Hurwitzer gave the Rattle a rave review.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Octave on September 28, 2013, 01:54:30 AM
Without benefit of much comparison (just the Kubelik), I had this experience listening to the Harnoncourt just recently.  I was knocked out by his tone poems.  I felt almost as impressed by his (Nick's Dvorak's) late symphonies.  I got all of those crated up here:
[asin]B00021T5TO[/asin]

That's the one I have for the tone poems and for me I'd add the late symphonies as among the top contenders, too.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Sergeant Rock

DavidW

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 06, 2013, 06:47:18 AM
Of course I approve of ionarts' choice  8)

Sarge

+1 or as Karl would say *pounds the table*. ;D

Bogey

Just picked this one up above up on Amazon.  This is my second recording of Dvorak's Quintet Op 81.  (Note the pairing on this cd, Ray!)

I have another under the same ensemble save a change in pianist.  It is on this cd:

which I might add is probably my favorite Dvorak cd on the shelf.  only $5 at Amazon if you want to try it out.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bogey on October 06, 2013, 08:04:24 AM
I have another under the same ensemble save a change in pianist.  It is on this cd:

which I might add is probably my favorite Dvorak cd on the shelf.  only $5 at Amazon if you want to try it out.

I have this one too, Bill. I agree it is superlative. Just out of curiosity, what's the recording date of the Panenka disc? Is it later than the Hála one (which was recorded in 1978)?

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Bogey

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on October 06, 2013, 08:17:11 AM
I have this one too, Bill. I agree it is superlative. Just out of curiosity, what's the recording date of the Panenka disc? Is it later than the Hála one (which was recorded in 1978)?

Later.  Here is the review that made me make the plunge:

Bronto-brainers rejoice. Not much thought is required here: the two greatest piano quintets in existence, played by a world-class ensemble and aptly recorded by a company that knew its stuff back in the '80s. The Smetana Quartet had recorded the Dvorak Piano Quintet back in 1966 and it now resurfaced on the Testament label Dvorak : String Quartet No. 12, Op. 96 "American"; Piano Quintet In A, Op. 81 / Janacek: String Quartet No. 1. In this remake, some two decades downstreams, they set a more leisurely pace as if realising 'they may not come this way again'.

The Schumann Piano Quintet enshrines Robert's domestic happiness with Klara and their growing family for all time: their 'lares and penates' illuminate the slow movement in particular.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Bogey on October 06, 2013, 08:19:53 AM
Later.  Here is the review that made me make the plunge:

Bronto-brainers rejoice. Not much thought is required here: the two greatest piano quintets in existence, played by a world-class ensemble and aptly recorded by a company that knew its stuff back in the '80s. The Smetana Quartet had recorded the Dvorak Piano Quintet back in 1966 and it now resurfaced on the Testament label Dvorak : String Quartet No. 12, Op. 96 "American"; Piano Quintet In A, Op. 81 / Janacek: String Quartet No. 1. In this remake, some two decades downstreams, they set a more leisurely pace as if realising 'they may not come this way again'.

The Schumann Piano Quintet enshrines Robert's domestic happiness with Klara and their growing family for all time: their 'lares and penates' illuminate the slow movement in particular.

Thanks, Bill!

Bogey

The earlier recordings above are what hooked me into Romantic era chamber music.  So it will always have a special place on my shelf.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Bogey on October 06, 2013, 08:04:24 AM

Just picked this one up above up on Amazon.  This is my second recording of Dvorak's Quintet Op 81.  (Note the pairing on this cd, Ray!)

Schumann!  Nice, Bill!  :)

TheGSMoeller

This could be the most ambitious 1st symphony ever written, Dvorak was 24 years old when he completed it in 1865. The opening horn fanfare is bold and fierce, the third movement shows early signs of a movement that Dvorak mastered (see symphony 6 and 8 ) and a rip-roaring finale. It's only missing the serene and lyrical slower movement that Dvorak also excelled in. This is the only recording I have of the 1st, and it's good. I've always had a minor gripe with Jarvi/SNO and the extra-reverb that Chandos displays with their recordings, but some great passionate playing can be found.
Also, The Hero's Song is one of my favorite symphonic poems, highly triumphant and completely satisfying music.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 25, 2013, 01:44:27 PM
This could be the most ambitious 1st symphony ever written, Dvorak was 24 years old when he completed it in 1865. The opening horn fanfare is bold and fierce, the third movement shows early signs of a movement that Dvorak mastered (see symphony 6 and 8 ) and a rip-roaring finale. It's only missing the serene and lyrical slower movement that Dvorak also excelled in. This is the only recording I have of the 1st, and it's good. I've always had a minor gripe with Jarvi/SNO and the extra-reverb that Chandos displays with their recordings, but some great passionate playing can be found.
Also, The Hero's Song is one of my favorite symphonic poems, highly triumphant and completely satisfying music.

Glad to hear you enjoy it too, Greg (re:  The 1st symphony).  Some years ago, there was a thread called "The Worst First", and I believe Cato mentioned perhaps that the Dvorak First Symphony could be one of the candidates.  :-X :D  I took exception to this.  ;D

Cato, I'm kindly throwing you under the bus.  :laugh:  Perhaps, since that was quite some time ago, he has warmed up to it more.  :)

Brian

That might have been me  :o
Maybe it's about time I give the symphony another fair shot; given how much I love Nos. 2 and 3, appreciation of the First can't be too far off...

amw

Personally, I love the First. It's definitely in my top nine Dvořák symphonies.

Ok, perhaps that could have been a little better worded.

I don't think it suffers by comparison with the others, though.

Mirror Image

I really need to give Dvorak's Symphonies 1-6 another listen at some point. Of course I love Symphonies 7-9 and what Romantic fan wouldn't love those last three? I also need to re-familiarize myself with the symphonic poems. I recall enjoying The Water Goblin and The Golden Spinning Wheel, but little else is sticking out in my mind right now.