Dvorak's Den

Started by hornteacher, April 07, 2007, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 25, 2013, 04:02:04 PM
there was a thread called "The Worst First", and I believe Cato mentioned perhaps that the Dvorak First Symphony could be one of the candidates.

That doesn't sound like Cato...unless he was being ironic. I know Cato has owned the Rowicki set (with the best First) as long as I have (40 years) and has always been an advocate of the early symphonies. But maybe I missed something.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

My first listen to these performances of Dvorak's Symphonic Poems.  Sounding terrific, so far!  :)

[asin]B0032Z1IG0[/asin]

kyjo

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 30, 2013, 11:16:23 AM
My first listen to these performances of Dvorak's Symphonic Poems.  Sounding terrific, so far!  :)

[asin]B0032Z1IG0[/asin]

Yep, those are definitive readings of the symphonic poems indeed! What is your favorite Dvorak symphonic poem, Ray? Mine is The Water Goblin. Very mysterious, especially the ending. I love the harmonies, too.

Brahmsian

Quote from: kyjo on December 01, 2013, 01:07:54 PM
Yep, those are definitive readings of the symphonic poems indeed! What is your favorite Dvorak symphonic poem, Ray? Mine is The Water Goblin. Very mysterious, especially the ending. I love the harmonies, too.

I've always loved The Wild Dove best, but a close 2nd for me is The Noon Witch.  Love the bass clarinet!  :)

madaboutmahler

In the last week of youth orchestra we have played Dvorak 5 (I was on triangle for the ever important 20 or so bars in the scherzo :p ) which I absolutely loved, almost as much as the last 3 symphonies even! I don't know why the earlier ones are relatively unknown.. 4 and 5 I really do love. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on December 24, 2013, 07:11:08 AM
In the last week of youth orchestra we have played Dvorak 5 (I was on triangle for the ever important 20 or so bars in the scherzo :p ) which I absolutely loved, almost as much as the last 3 symphonies even! I don't know why the earlier ones are relatively unknown.. 4 and 5 I really do love. :)

The 4th has for quite some time, been my favourite Dvorak symphony.  Something I have in common with Mrs. Sergeant Rock.   ;D

Brahmsian

Now listening to the magnificent symphonic poems and stellar performances here!

Dvorak

The Water Goblin, Op. 107
The Noon Witch, Op. 108
The Golden Spinning Wheel, Op. 109
The Wild Dove, Op. 110

Sir Charles Mackerras
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Supraphon

[asin]B0032Z1IG0[/asin]

Brahmsian

Going through this marvelous set, in reverse order (late quartets to early quartets)  Delicious!!  :)

[asin]B0009VKRW6[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Dvorak's Rusalka 

Lyric Opera of Chicago's opening night of Rusalka will be streaming live this evening on WFMT starting at 8:30pm eastern, 7:30pm central.

Rusalka -Ana María Martínez
Prince - Brandon Jovanovich
Ježibaba - Jill Grove
Vodnik - Eric Owens

Octave

Q: Are there some must-hear recordings of the STABAT MATER?  I did some looking, but I am not famous for my precision research.  I've found very few mentions of the piece on the board.
EDIT: I've been looking mainly at the new Herreweghe (for which I saw one positive comment at GMG) and a not-very-old Shaw/Atlanta.

ETC: I'm trying to get a little bit systematic about hearing all Dvorak works I've never heard.  There are some big gaps, like, RUSALKA...I mean really.  That will be for summer.  For now it's me chasing down more chamber music and the TE DEUM and the solo piano music, the latter of which I keep hearing slight-praised as light or inconsequential, but I wonder if that the kind of stuff I'd be pleased with, cf. spin some Boulez or Barraque, then Dvorak to calm the waters. 
And of course: none of that deprecation might be adequate to the music.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

snyprrr

Quote from: ChamberNut on February 17, 2014, 04:42:38 PM
Going through this marvelous set, in reverse order (late quartets to early quartets)  Delicious!!  :)

[asin]B0009VKRW6[/asin]

Did you finish? What are some of the standout early ones?

Brahmsian

Quote from: snyprrr on June 10, 2014, 08:14:39 AM
Did you finish? What are some of the standout early ones?

Oh yes, a long time ago (and several times).   :)

Of the early quartets, I enjoy the 6th and 7th the most.  Also, the 8th and 9th (but not sure if those are considered 'early')

My overall favourites are the:  10th, 13th, 12th, Cypresses, and 6th.

Bogey

Just got back from a family reunion outside a little hamlet called Spillville, Iowa.  Someone who had visited this site prior to me was none other than Dvorak. 

Here is a bit of the story from a one floor museum  (http://www.bilyclocks.org/) they keep in town:

Some instruments he played (he also played on the church organ, but we needed to head out, so did not catch):

If true, very cool:

His pipe (Oy, Kevin!):

End with a selfie:

I had never heard of the place until our reunion was set up.  The museum itself was also outstanding and jut one of those chance moments that I was lucky enough to take advantage of. :)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on July 29, 2014, 04:09:22 AM
Just got back from a family reunion outside a little hamlet called Spillville, Iowa.  Someone who had visited this site prior to me was none other than Dvorak.

I knew that, but only because of the curious name . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Thanks for sharing this, Bill!  I was aware of Dvorak's stay in Spillville, so it is super cool that you were there!  He wrote many of his inspired 'American' while he stayed in Iowa.  :)

Brian

Were you trying to match your facial hair to Dvorak's on that bust?

The praise for Spillville in the wall text is really amusing! Is it still an ideal place? Goodness, I'd love to hear someone play a humoresque on one of those pianos.

SonicMan46

Bill - thanks for posting the pics from Spillville, Iowa - sent my comments to you in answer to your PM - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Dvorak - Symphonic Poems - István Kertész - 2 CD set - fairly recent release of his old recordings - comments?

Hi all - I've been buying & culling these Dvorak works for years now - do own the Kertész 6-CD symphonic box (and noticed on Amazon a 9-disc set w/ both the symphonies & the works shown below) - I enjoy his performances of the symphonies and assume these poems et al are also well done?  Dave :)