genetics/math

Started by маразм1, May 06, 2008, 01:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

маразм1

I have a problem.  I need help convincing somebody about my genetic composition.  It's simple, but, for some reason the person keeps arguing with me and driving me nuts! 

Both my grandmothers are Russian, and both my grandfathers are Jewish.  what does that make me GENETICALLY?  I'm not saying anything about the Jewish rule that if your mother is Jewish you are Jewish, etc.

So according to any sane person, I'm 50% Jewish and 50% Russian.  Can somebody please think of clever ways of explaining this idea?

This person keeps saying that I'm a 1/4 Jewish because 1/2 divided by 2 is 1/4!!!

UGH!  thanks guys in advance.

head-case

1/4 or your genome originated in your mother's, mother, 1/4 from your mother's father, 1/4 from you father's mother, 1/4 from you father's father.  The fraction of your genome that originated in Jewish ancestors is 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2

Quote from: маразм1 on May 06, 2008, 01:37:53 PM
I have a problem.  I need help convincing somebody about my genetic composition.  It's simple, but, for some reason the person keeps arguing with me and driving me nuts! 

Both my grandmothers are Russian, and both my grandfathers are Jewish.  what does that make me GENETICALLY?  I'm not saying anything about the Jewish rule that if your mother is Jewish you are Jewish, etc.

So according to any sane person, I'm 50% Jewish and 50% Russian.  Can somebody please think of clever ways of explaining this idea?

This person keeps saying that I'm a 1/4 Jewish because 1/2 divided by 2 is 1/4!!!

UGH!  thanks guys in advance.

маразм1

Quote from: head-case on May 06, 2008, 01:48:26 PM
1/4 or your genome originated in your mother's, mother, 1/4 from your mother's father, 1/4 from you father's mother, 1/4 from you father's father.  The fraction of your genome that originated in Jewish ancestors is 1/4 + 1/4 = 1/2

thanx, I need a few more responses :)

SonicMan46

Well, having Jewish heritage is not a nationality, but a 'religious' choice - thus, what country(s) did your grandfathers come from?  For example, my wife was brought up Jewish, her grandparents were from Russia (or countries of the previous USSR); my background is Irish-German - we had one son (none of us currently practice the Jewish religion) - I would thus tell people that my son is Russian-Irish-German (and not half Jewish) - this seems to always be confusing to many - good luck in finding an appropriate explanation (BTW - your friend needs to take math over again -  ;) ;D)

bwv 1080

You are 100% Jewish because you are a direct descendant of Moses 

You had 2 parents, 4 grandparents and so on.  Go back 4000 years, call it 1000 generations and you have 10^301 direct ancestors - more than the population of the Earth, so Moses (and Buddha and Confucius and Mohammed for that matter) are your direct ancestors.

(ok maybe not)

маразм1

you two are not helping! 

how about if i said my grandfathers were chinese and grandmothers were korean?

bwv 1080

Quote from: маразм1 on May 06, 2008, 05:47:52 PM
you two are not helping! 

Chinese and Korean Jews?

head-case

Quote from: маразм1 on May 06, 2008, 02:01:25 PM
thanx, I need a few more responses :)

I fail to see how this elementary school arithmetic problem can be explained in any other way.

Quote from: SonicMan on May 06, 2008, 03:07:43 PM
Well, having Jewish heritage is not a nationality, but a 'religious' choice - thus, what country(s) did your grandfathers come from?

The question was about neither religion nor nationality, it was about what fraction of genetic background came from persons identified as Jewish.

маразм1

Quote from: head-case on May 06, 2008, 07:46:42 PM
I fail to see how this elementary school arithmetic problem can be explained in any other way.

The question was about neither religion nor nationality, it was about what fraction of genetic background came from persons identified as Jewish.

how about using apples and oranges?  lol.  come on! 

Opus106

*And I came here expecting some serious combinatorics ::)*

маразм1,  if your mother had been a Jew and your Father a Russian, would that make you a "full"/"whole" Jew or a "full"/"whole" Russian?
Regards,
Navneeth

(poco) Sforzando

Are you cut or uncut? there's your answer right there.  :D
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

bwv 1080

Quote from: Sforzando on May 07, 2008, 06:43:32 AM
Are you cut or uncut? there's your answer right there.  :D

Maybe he is half cut

(poco) Sforzando

маразм1

Quote from: opus67 on May 07, 2008, 06:31:56 AM
*And I came here expecting some serious combinatorics ::)*

маразм1,  if your mother had been a Jew and your Father a Russian, would that make you a "full"/"whole" Jew or a "full"/"whole" Russian?

that would make me 1/2

маразм1

Quote from: Sforzando on May 07, 2008, 06:45:38 AM
No wonder he likes Saul so much.

You are a schmuck!  You suck!  My art! 

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: маразм1 on May 07, 2008, 06:46:48 AM
You are a schmuck!  You suck!  My art! 

Oh, go slip on a banana peel! And do it sixty times a minute!!

маразм1

Quote from: Sforzando on May 07, 2008, 09:52:18 AM
Oh, go slip on a banana peel! And do it sixty times a minute!!
correction!  30   ;D

head-case

Quote from: маразм1 on May 07, 2008, 10:35:05 AM
correction!  30   ;D
Little consolation, given that the other 30 cycles consist of having a giant banana stomp on your face.  :'(

Don

Quote from: маразм1 on May 06, 2008, 05:47:52 PM
you two are not helping! 

Sounds like a winner - go for it! 

What's the big deal?  You're still the same person no matter what your ancestry.

маразм1

you guys love to digress.  this is not a "let's post your random thoughts about nothing thread".  I need help educating a person who has a Masters degree in Bio Engineering. 

Help me.  I've never felt more frustrated! ???