John Luther Adams (b. 1953)

Started by bhodges, May 08, 2008, 02:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on April 29, 2015, 09:01:13 AM
I blogged today about this composer and his work, Become Ocean.

Celebrate John Adams

And, no, I am not talking about John Adams, the composer of gargantuan inanities such as the opera The Death of Klinghoffer, in which John Adams parades his profound ignorance about the history of the Middle East and attempts to humanize monsters that pitched a wheelchair-bound man overboard the Italian MS Achille Lauro liner for the irredeemable crime of cruising while Jewish.

I am going to write about the other composer named John Adams, more accurately, John Luther Adams: born January 23, 1953; an American composer whose music is inspired by nature, especially the landscapes of Alaska where he has lived since 1978.  Specifically, I will write about his orchestral work Become Ocean which was awarded the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Music.

I think it's crystal clear that you don't like the other John Adams now, David. No need to beat a dead horse. Anyway...back to JLA.

vandermolen

Have just ordered 'Become Ocean' having come across it on You Tube. Debated with myself for a long time as to whether to get it but it so unlike almost anything else in my collection that I gave in and ordered it.   >:D >:D/ 0:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on September 17, 2015, 08:46:41 AM
Although a few GMG-ers have been underwhelmed by it, I am a fan - of not only Becoming Ocean, but of his entire oeuvre.

Hope you enjoy it.

:)

Thank you. I can well believe that it divides opinion. One review I read said that it's best heard at night when you are asleep but others were very enthusiastic about it. Is there anything else that you would especially recommend by this composer?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

North Star

Quote from: sanantonio on September 17, 2015, 10:08:46 AM
A particular favorite of mine is The Wind in High Places for string quartet.  String harmonics, subtly shifting among the quartet, create a beautiful expression of stillness and wind, IMO.  Most of his work is a celebration of the magnificence of the natural world: wind, mountains, ocean.

Also, In the White Silence (1998) for celesta, harp, string quartet, 2 vibraphones, and string quintet or orchestra.
I think I'll try The Wind in High Places later tonight on Youtube.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

bhodges

I thought Become Ocean was fascinating - have only heard it once, via the radio broadcast of the Carnegie Hall performance. At 45 minutes, it might be longer than some expect, or would like, but as I like to say, one person's boredom is another's trance, and I found it mesmerizing. That said, for someone who has had a rough day or is feeling impatient, it might not be the wisest choice.

Another interesting piece is this one, The Mathematics of Resonant Bodies. Each section uses a specific instrument, e.g., a gong, or a siren, and explores its timbres and overtones. Like Become Ocean, it's not a piece about melody.  ;D

[asin]B000EXOA6S[/asin]

And one more (in addition to the excellent suggestions above): Inuksuit, which again, I've only heard live, and a recording may lack something of the experience, since it is intended to be immersive - to occur all around you. It's for a huge number of percussionists, spread out over a large area, and lasts roughly 30-45 minutes. Here's a good blog post by percussionist Michael Bettine, who was one of 99 musicians (!) who performed it in Milwaukee. At the end of the post are links to the performance, on YouTube.

http://percussiondeconstruction.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-experience-of-inuksuit.html

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2015, 08:21:06 AM
Have just ordered 'Become Ocean' having come across it on You Tube. Debated with myself for a long time as to whether to get it but it so unlike almost anything else in my collection that I gave in and ordered it.   >:D >:D/ 0:)

As one of my many avatars can attest, I'm a big fan of JLA, Jeffrey. 8) Become Ocean is a gorgeous work. I actually wrote a review of it on Amazon (if you will allow me to indulge you here):

Title of review: An Orchestral Masterpiece from John Luther Adams -

John Luther Adams, born in Meridian, MS, is a composer that has made his home in Fairbanks, Alaska since the mid-70s. Upon making his home in Alaska, he has been an integral part of this state's artistic and environmental causes. These landscapes, and the surroundings in general, have deeply affected Adams' music. There's even a book written by Adams titled "Winter Music: Composing The North" if this is any indication to what his music seems to invoke. With this new recording of the Pulitzer Prize winning "Become Ocean," the listener is reminded yet again that the natural world is something that has continuously kept Adams' mind occupied. As another review pointed out, the precursor to "Become Ocean" is the chamber orchestral work "Become River." Adams actually stopped composing "Ocean" to work on "River." I have not heard "Become River" unfortunately, so I can't speak how one work has led into the other. Hopefully, an enterprising label like Cantaloupe will record this work as well.

The sound-world of "Become Ocean" is pretty much everything the title suggests: it's vast, textured, hypnotic, and ultimately engulfing. This isn't to say, however, that the work floats gently by without any kind of rhyme or reason. There are several crescendos in the work that, like a powerful tidal wave, can completely drown you. It's hard for me to categorize this kind of music because I think any kind of label you put on it does it an injustice of some kind. JLA is constantly being categorized as a 'Minimalist,' but, again, this is trying to restrict his art and put it into some kind of bubble. His music is, in my opinion, an idiom unto itself and after hearing "Become Ocean," I'm sure you'll come away with some kind of appreciation for what he's achieved here.

The sound quality is superb and the performance from the Seattle Symphony under Ludovic Morlot couldn't be any more compelling. In fact, I would wager that if another recording of this work is ever released, it won't match Morlot's performance. All of the nuances and attention to detail is in this performance.

The only negative I have doesn't even pertain to the music but rather the presentation of the music. The digipack it comes in overall design, while containing beautiful artwork and nice booklet, is quite flawed. It's hard to take the discs in and out of the pack as it's simply too tight and I wish they would have went with either a standard jewel case or at least make some kind of CD tray where there's a way to hold the CDs in place so you can get them out easier. Other than this, it's a nice package.

All of this said, I'll leave you with a quote from the composer himself (which is found on the inside of the digipack):

"Life on this earth first emerged from the sea. Today, as the polar ice melts and sea level rises, we humans face the prospect that we may once again, quite literally, become ocean."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things I love about JLA is he provides a great anecdote to a lot of the more dramatic, and darker hued, music I normally flock to. Some other favorite works of mine from him:

Strange Birds Passing
Red Arc/Blue Veil
Night Peace
The Far Country of Sleep
Canticles of the Sky
The Light That Fills The World

vandermolen

Quote from: sanantonio on September 17, 2015, 10:08:46 AM
A particular favorite of mine is The Wind in High Places for string quartet.  String harmonics, subtly shifting among the quartet, create a beautiful expression of stillness and wind, IMO.  Most of his work is a celebration of the magnificence of the natural world: wind, mountains, ocean.

Also, In the White Silence (1998) for celesta, harp, string quartet, 2 vibraphones, and string quintet or orchestra.

There are two newer works, written since Become Ocean, I have not heard yet, but wish to:

Ten Thousand Birds (2014) for chamber orchestra (fl, ob, 2 cl, bsn, hn, tpt, tbn, 2 perc, pno/cel, 2 vlns, vla, vc, cb).   

Sila: The Breath of the World (2013) for large ensemble and voices.
Very many thanks for the recommendations. 'The Wind in High Places' sounds interesting.

vandermolen

Thanks Bruce and John for the comments and recommendations. I'm really looking forward to receiving 'Become Ocean' and like North Star will be investigating more of his work although Melikov's 'Legend of Love' is taking up much of my listening time at the moment.  ::)

Karl Henning

I revisited Become Ocean yesterday, and I remain a member of The Loyal Opposition  8)  I shan't recapitulate my review, but summarize simply as Much to like, I do have a couple of compositional quarrels.

That said, I emphasize that this is simply my response, as an artist with my own work to do;  I do not expect any others to feel the same about the piece, or to feel the same about the piece for my reasons.  And the bottom line is, I agree that it is a fine piece, and worth listening to.

Another thing is, I take my response, this year, as an affirmation only of my musical thoughts and responses at present.  Ask me again in five years  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on September 18, 2015, 03:04:12 AM
I revisited Become Ocean yesterday, and I remain a member of The Loyal Opposition  8)  I shan't recapitulate my review, but summarize simply as Much to like, I do have a couple of compositional quarrels.

That said, I emphasize that this is simply my response, as an artist with my own work to do;  I do not expect any others to feel the same about the piece, or to feel the same about the piece for my reasons.  And the bottom line is, I agree that it is a fine piece, and worth listening to.

Another thing is, I take my response, this year, as an affirmation only of my musical thoughts and responses at present.  Ask me again in five years  ;)
I had ambivalent feelings about it when I heard it on You Tube and can understand why it tends to polarise views. I'll write more when I hear the CD.

CRCulver

Quote from: vandermolen on September 18, 2015, 05:51:01 AM
I'll write more when I hear the CD.

Hear the DVD. Surround sound makes a difference for this composer.

vandermolen

Quote from: CRCulver on September 18, 2015, 10:28:33 AM
Hear the DVD. Surround sound makes a difference for this composer.
Thank you.  :)

torut

Ilimaq (2012) for solo percussionist and electronic sounds - Glenn Kotche

https://johnlutheradams.bandcamp.com/album/ilimaq
releases 30 October 2015

vandermolen

I listened to 'Become Ocean' yesterday and was gripped throughout - more than expected really. I guess that if you enter into the spirit of the work it can be a powerful and moving experience, as it was for me, but I can still understand that it polarises opinion.

Karl Henning

Glad you enjoyed it, Jeffrey!  Many do  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on October 10, 2015, 05:24:39 AM
Glad you enjoyed it, Jeffrey!  Many do  :)
Thanks Karl. I guess that you have to be in the right mood but that applies to much music. It gripped me more than I expected.  :)

Mirror Image

Excellent, Jeffrey! I really like many of JLA's works. He has a unique, singular compositional voice. Check out The Far Country of Sleep next.

https://www.youtube.com/v/EViyRg3e-ts

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2015, 07:32:47 AM
Excellent, Jeffrey! I really like many of JLA's works. He has a unique, singular compositional voice. Check out The Far Country of Sleep next.

https://www.youtube.com/v/EViyRg3e-ts
Will do. Thanks John 😀

milk

Quote from: torut on September 27, 2015, 10:44:33 PM
Ilimaq (2012) for solo percussionist and electronic sounds - Glenn Kotche

https://johnlutheradams.bandcamp.com/album/ilimaq
releases 30 October 2015
How is this one?