Reading classical guitar scores

Started by greg, May 05, 2007, 03:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

This is kinda a dumb question, but I'm trying to play Takemitsu's All In Twilight for solo guitar, and i'm pretty sure that the encircled numbers by the notes indicate string (6 = low E, 1= high E), and regular numbers indicate fingering.

However, you can't get a C harmonic from the A string  ???

am i just reading it all wrong?

bwv 1080

its an artifical harmonic - the piece is chock full of them.  Are you attempting the piece on electric?  Do you have any classical training?  All in Twilight is a virtuoso piece, you might try something more basic if you have no background in CG

greg

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 08, 2007, 03:04:16 PM
its an artifical harmonic - the piece is chock full of them.  Are you attempting the piece on electric?  Do you have any classical training?  All in Twilight is a virtuoso piece, you might try something more basic if you have no background in CG
I can't believe what just happened here- i just opened up the score again and after i read you saying it's an artificial harmonic, i read "Art. Harm" right over the note, how silly! I'm assuming this harmonic is made by fretting the 3rd fret on the A-string and then adding the "harmonic part" on the 8th fret, which creates the note..... (just like how they do it on all the other string instruments)

Actually, i have some more question... what does the "CI", "CIV", etc. stand for? Capo? Also, could you get away with playing with a pick or does it have to be played with the fingers?

Well, yeah, I'm playing it on my guitar, which is electric, but I could play it on my mom's acoustic guitar if i wanted to- it'd be nice if it had nylon strings though  0:).

bwv 1080

Quote from: greg on May 09, 2007, 12:04:03 PM
I can't believe what just happened here- i just opened up the score again and after i read you saying it's an artificial harmonic, i read "Art. Harm" right over the note, how silly! I'm assuming this harmonic is made by fretting the 3rd fret on the A-string and then adding the "harmonic part" on the 8th fret, which creates the note..... (just like how they do it on all the other string instruments)

Actually, i have some more question... what does the "CI", "CIV", etc. stand for? Capo? Also, could you get away with playing with a pick or does it have to be played with the fingers?

Well, yeah, I'm playing it on my guitar, which is electric, but I could play it on my mom's acoustic guitar if i wanted to- it'd be nice if it had nylon strings though  0:).

No, the art harmonic is at the octave (the 1st partial) with the index finger on the node (somewhere around the 14-15th fret) and plucked with the thumb.

The roman numerals refer to position and the C refers to a barre, so CIV would be a barre on the 4th fret

You can't play the piece with a pick, as there are too many voices and the chords should not be strummed unless the score says to.

greg

Quote from: bwv 1080 on May 09, 2007, 12:24:14 PM
No, the art harmonic is at the octave (the 1st partial) with the index finger on the node (somewhere around the 14-15th fret) and plucked with the thumb.

The roman numerals refer to position and the C refers to a barre, so CIV would be a barre on the 4th fret

You can't play the piece with a pick, as there are too many voices and the chords should not be strummed unless the score says to.
Thanks! Yeah, it's on the 15th fret, sounds really nice. I always play with a pick, so this'll be interesting, something different at least.