Pietro Locatelli (1695-1764) - Violin Virtuoso!

Started by SonicMan46, September 22, 2009, 07:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Pietro Antonio Locatelli (1695-1764) was an Italian composer and violinist who was born in Bergamo (in the foothills of the Alps just north of Milan).  His astonishing talent on the violin was recognized early, and at age 16 he was in Rome.  Although he did not study with Corelli, Locatelli was certainly influenced by the older composer (who died in 1713).  From 1723 to 1729, he travelled extensively, and gave many concerts, receiving acclaim for his virtuosity on the violin - now often dubbed the Paganini of the 18th Century.

In 1729, he moved to Amsterdam, and lived and worked there until his death in 1764.  The Dutch city offered him many opportunities; he was able to work as a 'free' musician, not being bound to court or church.  He participated little in the city's music scene, but rather was a composer and publisher (mainly of his own works); he had no pupils and did not play in public (however, he did give concerts in private houses).  His compositional output consisted mainly of eight large opus editions of usually six to twelve works; many of course are violin compositions in the sonata form and concerti grossi.

On the 'old forum', there was a thread on this composer HERE that I started back in 2006 - have not added much to my Locatelli collection until yesterday, i.e. Opus 4 works, which is a somewhat 'odd' set - the first disc in the Hyperion Dyad shown below consists of 12 works total, the first 6 are named Introduttioni Teatrali, short pieces which may have served as opening numbers to operas, plays, etc. (likely composed in Amsterdam, according to the liner notes); the other 6 are more standard Concerti Grossi, and as usual well performed by this group w/ Wallfisch & recorded by Hyperion.  So, just thought that I'd re-do a thread in the 'new' forum.

Other works by this composer that I own are also shown below for those who may be interested, plus a pic of the composer; a short Wiki Article, which lists his compositions (immediately below); for myself, just missing Opus numbers 6 & 7 at the moment.

P.S. the Brilliant set (3-CDs) w/ Jed Wentz contains Opus 2 & 5 -  :D

Op. 1 (1721) - 12 concerti grossi (in F, C minor, B flat, E minor, D, C minor, F, F minor, D, C, C minor, G minor)
Op. 2 (1732) - 12 flute sonatas (in G, D, B flat, G, D, G minor, A, F, E, G, D, G)
Op. 3 (1733) - L' arte del violino 12 violin concertos (in D, C minor, F, E, C, G minor, B flat, E minor, G, F minor, A, D)
Op. 4 (1735) - 6 Introduttione teatrale (in D, F, B flat, G, D, C) and 6 concerti grossi (in D, F, G, E, C minor, F)
Op. 5 (1736) - 6 trio sonatas (in G, E minor, E, C, D minor, G "Bizarria")
Op. 6 (1737) - 12 violin sonatas (in F minor, F, E, A, G minor, D, C minor, C, B minor, A minor, E flat, D minor)
Op. 7 (1741) - 6 concerti a quatro (in D, B flat, G, F, G minor, E flat)
Op. 8 (1744) - 10 trio sonatas (in F, D, G minor, C, G, E flat, A, D, F minor, A)

Pat B

I saw your post in the WAYLTN thread which brought me here (and got me thinking about Corelli). Where to start with Locatelli? Op. 3 seems to be his most famous, but I have to admit I'm intrigued by the title "Bizarria" from op. 5.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pat B on July 25, 2013, 12:24:13 PM
I saw your post in the WAYLTN thread which brought me here (and got me thinking about Corelli). Where to start with Locatelli? Op. 3 seems to be his most famous, but I have to admit I'm intrigued by the title "Bizarria" from op. 5.

Hi Pat - I completely forgot about this thread started way back in '09 - not a bad OP, but NO responses until you 4 years later - the guy is even neglected on GMG, a sanctuary for 'unknown & forgotten' composers!  ;D

Well w/ the addition you mention in the 'listening' thread, I may have all (possibly one missing?) of his Opus numbers - all of this music is really enjoyable - I would probably suggest the Flute Sonatas & Art of the Violin as starters - check out BRO HERE - a number of these multi-disc sets are still available at a decent price - AND if you obtain and like these recordings, please post back to this thread!  Dave :)

Wakefield

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 25, 2013, 05:14:41 PM
- check out BRO HERE   
Dave :)

OMG! Those prices for L'Arte del Violino and Veracini's Sonate Accademiche on Hyperion are unbelievable.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on July 25, 2013, 06:32:44 PM
OMG! Those prices for L'Arte del Violino and Veracini's Sonate Accademiche on Hyperion are unbelievable.

Hi Gordo - yep, I picked up both of those 3-CD sets there ($5 a disc - hard to beat), plus several others of Locatelli - Dave :)

SonicMan46

This thread was just brought back to my attention by Pat - left the quoted post below in the Listening Thread recently, so just repeating it here - for those interested and if the shipping is right, then check out the link given a few posts back to BRO (Berkshire Record Outlet) - a lot of this composer's works are available for $5 a disc - :)

Locatelli, Pietro (1695-1764) - Violin Sonatas, Op. 6 & Op. 8 w/ Igor Ruhadze on a Baroque violin; Mark Dupere (Baroque cello); and Vaughan Schlepp (harpsichord) - already own about a dozen discs of this composer, but not the Op. 6 works (which occupied just over 3 of the 5 CDs) - for those interested, Fanfare review reprinted HERE (which likely prompted my purchase) - Dave :)

P.S. Ruhadze on far left of the second pic below, along w/ the other two male performers - don't know the lady (or her instrument)?

mc ukrneal

I have these two:

They are well performed, though a little violin heavy for my tastes. Still, I imagine that if you like the period, you will enjoy them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sean

I borrowed and persevered with the op.1 set, showing a muscular style of invention at least a match for some other more well known sets- he has a voice.

There's not much on Naxos apart from op.1 and a curious set of 24 violin caprices.

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 22, 2009, 07:24:28 AM

This is a great set. Wonderful music, marvelous playing, excellent sonics. A winner!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Moonfish

*bump*

What are your thoughts about Brilliant Classics' ongoing series focused on Locatelli's works ("The Locatelli Edition") [Ensemble Violini Capricciosi and Igor Ruhadze]?
Are these recommended?

[asin] B0085U0H00[/asin]
[asin] B009F2CW96[/asin]
[asin] B00EZCVE7C[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

SonicMan46

Quote from: Moonfish on March 01, 2015, 11:26:24 AM
*bump*

What are your thoughts about Brilliant Classics' ongoing series focused on Locatelli's works ("The Locatelli Edition") [Ensemble Violini Capricciosi and Igor Ruhadze]?
Are these recommended?

Hi Peter - I own most of Locatelli's compositions from my previous posts (much w/ the Locatelli Trio which I obtained from BRO) - I do have the second volume of Ruhadze & Ensemble violin Capricciosi (as explained in my last post here a number of years ago - WOW!) - I've just listened to several of the the discs - performances are recent recordings on PIs w/ excellent sound - I've attached a PDF file of Fanfare reviews of V. 1 & 2 - at Brilliant's pricing, I cannot see you going wrong w/ purchasing these packages - recommended!  Dave :)

SonicMan46

TTT!  - Pietro Locatelli (1695-1764) - no post to this thread in 5 years or so!  ??? ;)

Short bio by me as the OP pre-2010 - first quote below, a list of his Opus works (Source) - currently, I own the first 5 sets shown, amounting to 18 discs (2nd quote); missing Op. 6 & 9 - Brilliant is now offering a 21-CD box (last image below) for $70 USD on Amazon USA (may be cheaper across the pond?); for those who use BRO, four Wallfisch offerings are available - the Op. 6 works are Brilliant's Vol. 2 (in the big box) - NOW, Op. 9 - not sure there is a recordings?  Dave :)
Quote* Op. 1 (1721) – XII Concerti grossi à Quattro e à Cinque, (12 four- and five-parts concerti grossi)
* Op. 2 (1732) – XII Sonate à Flauto traversiere solo e Basso, (12 flute sonatas)
* Op. 3 (1733) – L'Arte del Violino; XII Concerti Cioè, Violino solo, con XXIV Capricci ad libitum, (12 violin concertos with 24 Capriccios ad lib)
* Op. 4 (1735) – VI Introduttioni teatrali e VI Concerti, (6 theatrical Introductions and 6 concerti grossi)
* Op. 5 (1736) – VI Sonate à Trè, (6 trio sonatas)
* Op. 6 (1737) – XII Sonate à Violino solo e Basso da Camera, (12 violin sonatas)
* Op. 7 (1741) – VI Concerti à quattro, (6 Four-parts concerti)
* Op. 8 (1744) – X Sonate, VI à Violino solo e Basso e IV à Trè, (6 violin sonatas)
* Op. 9 (1762) – VI Concerti a quattro (6 four-parts concerti), Amsterdam 1762
* Works without opus number & Numerous other works of different genres are lost.

QuoteWentz - Musica ad Rhenum - Flute Sonatas - Op. 2 (12) & Op. 5 (6)
Ruhadze - Ensemble Violini Capricciosi - Op. 5 (6) & Op. 8 (4)
Wallfisch - Locatelli Trio - Op. 8 (10)
Ruhadze - EVC - Op. 3 (12) (L'arte del violino)
Ruhadze - EVC - Op. 1 (12), Op. 4 (12), & Op. 7 (6)

SonicMan46

OOPS!  ::)  ADDENDUM: - I do own Brilliant's Vol. 2 w/ Ruhadze - all the others are in jewel boxes, but this one is in a really slightly larger cardboard box that did not fit my usual storage area - SO, have Op. 6 - still not sure if Op. 9 has been recorded or maybe OOP?  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

This is the Locatelli I have in stock right now.Seems like I have others, but can't seem to put my finger on them.

This Opus 1 by the Freiburg's is an especially nice version. I used to have another (the Naxos one, I believe) but I have since replaced it with this one.

One certainly must have the superb Walffisch 'Art of the Violin'.  It's an amazing piece of music, and she plays it very well indeed. Really don't need to add to that, we have talked about it before.

The CPE Bach Orchestra does the Op 7, which includes a really interesting quasi-programmatic work, the Lament of Ariadne.  Easy to hear that Locatelli was a cut above the competition in terms of both imagination and skillful use of effects.

The last one here is more of a blend of talents. We tend to put CD's with more than 1 composer represented as being second rate, somehow. But not only is Leclair the equivalent of being the French Locatelli, but the 2 works here by Locatelli, from Op 8, are especially nice too. Probably not going to be easy to find this disk just laying around loose, but worth the effort if you like the violin music of this era.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 03, 2020, 05:47:20 PM
This is the Locatelli I have in stock right now.Seems like I have others, but can't seem to put my finger on them.

This Opus 1 by the Freiburg's is an especially nice version. I used to have another (the Naxos one, I believe) but I have since replaced it with this one.

One certainly must have the superb Walffisch 'Art of the Violin'.  It's an amazing piece of music, and she plays it very well indeed. Really don't need to add to that, we have talked about it before.

The CPE Bach Orchestra does the Op 7, which includes a really interesting quasi-programmatic work, the Lament of Ariadne.  Easy to hear that Locatelli was a cut above the competition in terms of both imagination and skillful use of effects.

The last one here is more of a blend of talents. We tend to put CD's with more than 1 composer represented as being second rate, somehow. But not only is Leclair the equivalent of being the French Locatelli, but the 2 works here by Locatelli, from Op 8, are especially nice too. Probably not going to be easy to find this disk just laying around loose, but worth the effort if you like the violin music of this era.................

Hi Gurn - a lot of good Locatelli recordings available - Brilliant's effort w/ Ruhadzhe & Wentz virtually covers all of the Opus numbers - the recordings are excellent - for those just getting into this composer, I've attached some reviews of the Brilliant recordings; the others have certainly been well reviewed also - plus, as mentioned before, there are 4 Wallfisch offerings at BRO, including Op. 3 (Art of the Violin).  Dave :)