Thout it was K, now it's KV?

Started by 12tone., May 11, 2008, 01:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

I thought before when either you guys or on places like Amazon.com refered to works by Mozart the works' catalogue number was listed as 'K'.  Now everything seems to say 'KV'  ???  What's going on?

The new erato

KV = Køchel Verzeichnis (?) = Køchel Catalogue

BWV = Bach Werke Verzeichnis, etc

12tone.

I don't think I get it...

So K is the English way and KV is German?

Que

Quote from: 12tone. on May 11, 2008, 01:37:50 PM
I thought before when either you guys or on places like Amazon.com refered to works by Mozart the works' catalogue number was listed as 'K'.  Now everything seems to say 'KV'  ???  What's going on?

The Köchel-Verzeichnis is a complete, chronological catalogue of compositions by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (born 1756) which was originally created by Ludwig von Köchel. It is abbreviated K or KV.

And if I may add something: "K" is usually used in English, but in German "KV" is used.

EDIT:

Quote from: 12tone. on May 11, 2008, 01:47:24 PM
So K is the English way and KV is German?

So, yes.

Q

12tone.

Joe Barron

Sometimes, after works of Ives, you also see a KV number. In this case, the abbreviation stands for Kirkpatrick verzeichnis!

Opus106

And isn't there a catalogue of Domenico Scarlatti's works that also begin with a K? I ask this because in a CD I have there is a K number and an L number.
Regards,
Navneeth

Wendell_E

Quote from: opus67 on May 31, 2008, 12:11:01 AM
And isn't there a catalogue of Domenico Scarlatti's works that also begin with a K? I ask this because in a CD I have there is a K number and an L number.

Yep.  K = Kirkpatrick, L = Longo.  Here's a page that gives the #s for both systems, plus a third (P = Pestelli):

http://www.karadar.com/Cataloghi/scarlatti_domenico.html

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

ChamberNut

Does it really matter if it's K or KV?

Hell, why not K-Tel, or KY?  :D

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Don

Quote from: ChamberNut on June 03, 2008, 08:36:02 AM
Does it really matter if it's K or KV?

Hell, why not K-Tel, or KY?  :D

True, it could be any letter or combination.  What matters is that folks connect the letter(s) with the right composer.  I would be very confused if Mozart was all of a sudden BWV.