need some suggestions

Started by FarFromAbyss, May 05, 2007, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarFromAbyss

im only starting to touch the scrap of what is the magnificent, complex, and wonderful world of classical music. i really lack most  knowledge about classical music and the many composers, so i want to ask for some suggestions :)
two works that i really liked up until now is : Le Tombeau de Coup by Maurice Ravel and Petrushka by Igor Stravinsky. i also like some "archaic" music, like Bach Berndenburg Concerto 2 (movement 3 especially) but the two pieces i mentioned above are so far my favorites.
can you please recommend me on some music that sound like, or resmemble, or uses the same style of these two pieces? (Le Tombeau de Coup and Petrushka)
thank you very much :)
(p.s, sorry for the loose language in the post, english is not my native tongue)

hornteacher

The other two "big" ballet pieces by Stravinsky are the "Firebird" and the "Rite of Spring".  You could start there.  Copland's "Appalachian Spring" is also a great starter choice.

Holst's "The Planets" is usually a big hit with newcommers.

For the Romantics try Dvorak's last three symphonies (7, 8, and 9), Brahms' 1st, and (if you want to go a bit earlier) pretty much anything by Beethoven.

For the Baroque and pre-Beethoven Classical composers try all six of the Brandenburgs, Mozart's Clarinet Concerto, and any of Haydn's last 12 symphonies (#s 93-104).  If you like the trumpet in the 2nd Brandenburg, you may also like the Haydn Trumpet Concerto.

Brian

Quote from: hornteacher on May 05, 2007, 07:54:31 PMBrahms' 1st,
Odd, why the 1st? Otherwise good summary list.

FarFromAbyss, I'd really recommend looking into other stuff by Stravinsky, first of all. Also you may be interested (based on Tombeau) in some modern reworkings of older music; this is sometimes called "neoclassical" and although I don't know much about it I think Panufnik and Hindemith are two guys who have done similar things. Maybe someone else will help.

Oh, and Ravel is wonderful. There is so much to enjoy!

Steve

As you mentioned one favourite among newcomers, I'd add another- Tschaikovsky. While his symphonies might not be a good introduction, I'd try his piano concertos. Particularily the 1st, but the second as well. Some other favourites...

Concerti:
Tschaikovsky, Piano Concertos Nos. 1, 2
Beethoven Piano Concertos, 4 and 5
Dvorak Violin Concerto in B minor
Paganini - Any of the violin concertos (get a good set with Perlman)
    -trust me, you haven't heard virtuoso violin until you've heard these!

Symphonies
Brahms, Symphony #4
Beethoven, Symphonies (3,6,7,9)
Schubert Symphony No. 8 ('unfinished')
Shostakovich, Symphony No. 15
Mozart, Symphony #41 ('Jupiter')

Chamber/Solo

Mozart, The Horn Concerti
Beethoven, the Op. 110 Sonatas
Shostakovich, The String Quartets
Schubert, 'Death and the Maiden'
Chopin, Polonaise in A Flat Major ('heroic')
Debussy, Images, Clair de lune

71 dB

From Ravel's piano music I would go to Granados's and Keith Jarrett's piano music. The latter is classified jazz but who cares?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Grazioso

Quote from: 71 dB on May 06, 2007, 02:58:28 AM
From Ravel's piano music I would go to Granados's and Keith Jarrett's piano music. The latter is classified jazz but who cares?

Though it's worth noting first the wide range of Jarrett's music, from almost "New-Agey" extended solo improvisations to his more traditional Standards Trio work. (And he's recorded classical pieces, too.) There's a lot of ground to cover.
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

FarFromAbyss

thank you everyone!
i'll look for some of the things you proposed :)

hornteacher

Quote from: brianrein on May 05, 2007, 08:43:50 PM
Odd, why the 1st? Otherwise good summary list.

No particular reason.  I just find it to the the most melodic and therefore most accessible to newcomers.  Someone else might start with the 2nd, which is more "sunny".

Steve

Quote from: hornteacher on May 06, 2007, 05:16:19 AM
No particular reason.  I just find it to the the most melodic and therefore most accessible to newcomers.  Someone else might start with the 2nd, which is more "sunny".

Why not the 4th? I've always found it to be the most accessible of his symphoines. That opening movement is quite attractive to newcomers.

mahlertitan

Schoenberg's
Suite, G major, for string orchestra
Concerto for String Quartet and Orchestra

Prokofiev's
Symphony no. 1 "Classical"

hornteacher

Quote from: Steve on May 06, 2007, 11:28:40 AM
Why not the 4th? I've always found it to be the most accessible of his symphoines. That opening movement is quite attractive to newcomers.

Also a good choice.

stingo

I'd suggest getting a ticket or two to your local classical music groups - symphony, chamber group, choir, ballet company etc and hear it live. Recordings are great, but nothing beats the feeling of being there when the magic happens.

That said, going by recordings, I'd suggest seeking out some chamber recordings as well:

Bach: Goldberg Variations (Hantai/Opus 111 or Frisch/Alpha)
Brahms: Sextets (Raphael Ensemble/Hyperion) and/or Clarinet Sonatas (Froest/BIS)
Mozart: 4 Hands Piano Music (Mozart am Stein - Staier and Schornsheim/Harmonia Mundi)
Handel: Violin Sonatas (Manze and Egarr/Harmonia Mundi)
Tchaikowsky: Trio, Op 61. (Trio Passionato/Haenssler)

but if orchestral is more your speed, consider...

Ives: Symphony No. 2 (NYPO/Bernstein/DG)
Offenbach: Gaite Parisienne (Monte Carlo/Naxos)
Resphighi: Pines and Fountains of Rome (Naxos)
Tchaikowsky: Swan Lake (Complete) - (Boston SO/Ozawa/DG)
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Dorati?/Mercury Living Presence)

Steve

Quote from: stingo on May 06, 2007, 05:36:51 PM
I'd suggest getting a ticket or two to your local classical music groups - symphony, chamber group, choir, ballet company etc and hear it live. Recordings are great, but nothing beats the feeling of being there when the magic happens.

That said, going by recordings, I'd suggest seeking out some chamber recordings as well:

Bach: Goldberg Variations (Hantai/Opus 111 or Frisch/Alpha)
Brahms: Sextets (Raphael Ensemble/Hyperion) and/or Clarinet Sonatas (Froest/BIS)
Mozart: 4 Hands Piano Music (Mozart am Stein - Staier and Schornsheim/Harmonia Mundi)
Handel: Violin Sonatas (Manze and Egarr/Harmonia Mundi)
Tchaikowsky: Trio, Op 61. (Trio Passionato/Haenssler)

but if orchestral is more your speed, consider...

Ives: Symphony No. 2 (NYPO/Bernstein/DG)
Offenbach: Gaite Parisienne (Monte Carlo/Naxos)
Resphighi: Pines and Fountains of Rome (Naxos)
Tchaikowsky: Swan Lake (Complete) - (Boston SO/Ozawa/DG)
Stravinsky: The Firebird (Dorati?/Mercury Living Presence)

Ah, some excellent choices.  :)

Maciek

Some excellent recommendations here already. Lets see if I can add anything... Or maybe I'll just repeat what has already been said. ;D

Quote from: FarFromAbyss on May 05, 2007, 07:44:02 PM
two works that i really liked up until now is : Le Tombeau de Coup by Maurice Ravel

I'd suggest more Ravel. Go for the Piano Concerti. And then, this isn't pure Ravel but still I think it'll fit with the stuff you mention: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (in Ravel's orchestration).

Quoteand Petrushka by Igor Stravinsky

I'd suggest you listen to: Pulcinella, Symphony of Psalms, L'Oiseau de feu (The Firebird), The Fairy's Kiss (Le Baiser de la Fée), Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra, Ebony Concerto.

Also, check out Tchaikovsky's ballets (especially The Nutcracker and maybe Sleeping Beauty)!

Quotei also like some "archaic" music, like Bach Berndenburg Concerto 2

Here's I'd go by performers rather than by composer/work. Anything played by Il Giardino Armonico (ensemble), Fabio Biondi (conductor/violinist) or Rinaldo Alessandrini (conductor) should work. Cecilia Bartoli's Vivaldi Album (with Il Giardino Armonico) is very good.

Have fun!  8)

Cheers,
Maciek

FarFromAbyss

thank you again everyone, i've written down some of the names you proposed and im going today to look for them in my local music shop :)
thank you for making time to advise me on music

Maciek

You're welcome - that's what the forum is for! :D 8)

And be sure to come back to let us know what you liked! $:)

Cheers,
Maciek

Novi

Quote from: Steve on May 06, 2007, 11:28:40 AM

The 4th got me into Brahms when I was a newb 0:).
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Maciek

Quote from: Novitiate on May 07, 2007, 11:30:48 AM
The 4th got me into Brahms when I was a newb 0:).

I think it was the same with me. The 3rd and 4th were the first 2 that "clicked". And they still remain my favorites. It was much harder getting "into" the 1st!

Maciek

Steve

Quote from: MrOsa on May 07, 2007, 11:42:40 AM
I think it was the same with me. The 3rd and 4th were the first 2 that "clicked". And they still remain my favorites. It was much harder getting "into" the 1st!

Maciek

Yes, the 4th was my introduction to Brahms. It really opened his entire oevuvre to me.  :)

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2007, 11:49:54 AM
Yes, the 4th was my introduction to Brahms. It really opened his entire oevuvre to me.  :)

i have heard all 4 symphonies, i still don't understand it.