need some suggestions

Started by FarFromAbyss, May 05, 2007, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 05:01:02 PM
i have heard all 4 symphonies, i still don't understand it.

Under whose baton?

mahlertitan

Quote from: Steve on May 07, 2007, 05:09:21 PM
Under whose baton?

various, one complete set is under Karajan BPO, another complete set is under Giulini PO

Brian

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 05:15:30 PM
various, one complete set is under Karajan BPO, another complete set is under Giulini PO
Simple: you haven't heard Carlos Kleiber.  :)  A stunning performance - one of the great performances of all time, of anything.

It reduces my emotional health to a pile of ruins every time I hear it.

Steve

Quote from: brianrein on May 07, 2007, 05:38:26 PM
Simple: you haven't heard Carlos Kleiber.  :)  A stunning performance - one of the great performances of all time, of anything.

It reduces my emotional health to a pile of ruins every time I hear it.

I assume you mean with the 4th. If so, then you couldn't be more right. Kleiber took this symphony to levels no other has even approached.

Steve

Quote from: MahlerTitan on May 07, 2007, 05:15:30 PM

You need to hear these symohoines with Kleiber and the BPO.

Sean

FarFromAbyss there's not much else like Petrushka: as with the Rite of spring (not an easy listen) written at the same time it was in a language Stravinksy only ever used once, perhaps necessarily as these are such towering masterpieces.

You could try his Symphony in three movements though, along with the more relaxed The Firebird from the same period, and Les Noces and the Violin concerto.

Plenty of Ravel's orchestral pieces are in a similar happy neoclassical (/neobaroque) style.