Shura Cherkassky

Started by Zhiliang, May 13, 2008, 10:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhiliang

Dear all,

I am interested in collecting the best recordings of Shura Cherkassky, can i know which are his "must-buy" recordings and why?

Thanks.

ezodisy

Quote from: Zhiliang on May 13, 2008, 10:02:29 PM
I am interested in collecting the best recordings of Shura Cherkassky, can i know which are his "must-buy" recordings and why?

what ever would you do without us? :)

Zhiliang

Dancing Divertimentian

Cherkassky's Chopin is some of my very favorite.

A great place to start is the old GPOTC series on Philips.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Zhiliang

Quote from: donwyn on May 14, 2008, 07:59:42 PM
Cherkassky's Chopin is some of my very favorite.

A great place to start is the old GPOTC series on Philips.

Thanks Donwyn,

I just listened to his Chopin Ballade No. 4, and its really very fresh and very different. He could really coax a lot of different sounds, with his voicing of the inner voices.

Maciek

You could also try out this week's download from Rolf den Otter's site: Cherkassky in Tchaikovsky's 2nd PC.

Vidar P

I'm listening to these recordings made for DGG (1952-56) at the moment;

a bit enchanted by the lovely-sounding pianist and his music; this CD is available as part of the "The Originals" series from DGG.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1057853&style=classical

I'm new to this artist, but if this is representative for his level of performance, I guess that won't last.

Regards. Vidar

The new erato

And welcome to you and a happy 17th of May!

This is a place where you REALLY can waste your time!  ;D

Vidar P

Quote from: erato on May 17, 2008, 01:07:53 AM
And welcome to you and a happy 17th of May!

This is a place where you REALLY can waste your time!  ;D

Thank you! And congratulations on your national day to you too. That was the sort of place I was looking for, somewhere to waste time in a civilized manner :)

Regards

rubio

Quote from: Vidar P on May 17, 2008, 01:11:48 AM
Thank you! And congratulations on your national day to you too. That was the sort of place I was looking for, somewhere to waste time in a civilized manner :)

Regards

Welcome to you Vidar!

This is a place where you can get ruined as well. ;D
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Vidar P

Quote from: rubio on May 17, 2008, 01:50:11 AM
Welcome to you Vidar!

This is a place where you can get ruined as well. ;D

Thank you Rubio! I'm already ruined, thanks so bloody much to erato and others on norwegian hifi/music forums, and all their excellent suggestions on how to get ruined at mdt, amazon, cduniverse etc; and utterly thanks to those guys in Salisbury producing lovely-sounding but expensive black boxes with green lit logo on front.

Actually; I'm listening to Cherkassky again this afternoon; this artist certainly seem to have several layers of depth to his performance on this cd; it's both brightly lit and playful, a bit (intentionally) naive but profound at the same time; I really like his total lack of pretenciousness; it's lovely and a little light-hearted; makes you happy almost in the same way as listening to Wolfgang Schneiderhan.. there's a certain whatsit, as Basil Fawlty (of Fawlty Towers fame) once so precisely commented on a different matter :)

Regards. Vidar

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Zhiliang on May 17, 2008, 12:28:07 AM
Thanks Donwyn,

I just listened to his Chopin Ballade No. 4, and its really very fresh and very different. He could really coax a lot of different sounds, with his voicing of the inner voices.

Super! Glad you liked it.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

MN Dave

Download THIS while you still can.

Maciek

Well, I guess some people have me on their ignore lists... ::)

MN Dave

Quote from: Maciek on May 21, 2008, 12:43:17 PM
Well, I guess some people have me on their ignore lists... ::)

Who said that?

Sorry, I didn't see your post, sir.  :)

Maciek