Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring
10309 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD

Mark G. Simon, clarinetist
Rosanne Conway, pianist

Anniversary Sonata — Mark G. Simon
Jägerita — Stuart Simon
Grand Duo Concertant — Carl Maria von Weber

The intersection of rock music with contemporary classical composition will be explored in a recital by Mark G. Simon, clarinetist, and Rosanne Conway, pianist. The performance features original music by Mr. Simon and his brother Stuart Simon which grows out of the various genres of popular music, but which retains classical principles of construction.

Clarinetist Mark G. Simon studied composition with Karel Husa at Cornell University and clarinet with Steven Hartman, principal clarinetist of the Brooklyn Philharmonic and associate prinicipal of the New York City Opera. He has performed with the Binghamton Philharmonic, the Ithaca Opera Association, The Tri-Cities Opera of Binghamton, New York, the Orchestra of the Southern Finger Lakes, and the Cornell Contemporary Ensemble. As a composer he has written musical theater, vocal, and chamber works, many involving clarinet. His Carnival of the Subatomic Particles was premiered in April 2007 by Music's Recreation in Ithaca, New York.

Hailed by critics for her "musical elegance and brilliant technique," pianist Rosanne Conway is a native of Seattle, where she performed with the Seattle Symphony at the age of 16. She holds degrees from the University of Washington and the University of Colorado and, as winner of the Petri Award for Foreign Study, attended the Hochschule für Musik und Theatre in Hannover, Germany, and the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Austria. In New York, she studied with Earl Wild at Juilliard. Ms. Conway has performed at the American Liszt Society Festival at the Kennedy Center and has appeared on many local and regional concert series as recitalist, chamber music player, and accompanist. Ms. Conway and Santiago Rodriguez performed together for the 1996 International William Kapell Competition for Piano and subsequently recorded Rachmaninoff's four-hand/two piano works. Currently on the faculty of the National Cathedral School, Ms. Conway also maintains a private studio.

The Unitarian Universalist Church is located just north of the Beltway at the corner of Oaklawn Drive and New Hampshire Avenue. Children are welcome. A donation of $10.00 per person is suggested.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

bhodges

Hey, good luck, Mark!  :D

--Bruce

karlhenning

(poco) Sforzando

Good luck, Mark. Sorry I can't make it (DC is a bit far, and I've got another concert that same time). But best wishes for a successful event.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

karlhenning

How'd it go, Mark? Success, I trust!

greg

Quote from: karlhenning on May 20, 2008, 07:15:40 AM
How'd it go, Mark? Success, I trust!
He choked on his clarinet.  ;)

No really, how'd it go? Hope you had fun, Mark.....

Mark G. Simon

Sorry, I missed the replies here.

The recital went pretty well, overall. The pianist spent more time practicing the Weber than either of the two new pieces on the recital, but the Weber is always fun to play with someone who has it well under her fingers, so I enjoyed it.

I'm going to post a link to a recording of Jägerita from the recital later on today. It's a wild and crazy piece, but I enjoy playing it.